Where to place a composter?

Environmental impact of end of life products: plastics, chemicals, vehicles, agri-food marketing. direct recycling and recycling (upcycling or upcycling) and reuse of good items for the trash!
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Where to place a composter?

by Woodcutter » 06/08/09, 09:45

sebarmageddon wrote:Hello ,

I would like to know what is the best place in a garden to position a composter? [...]
As long as I think about it, should a composter have a lid?
if yes, why ?
if not why ?
and if a cover is needed, would a tarpaulin placed on top of the composter suffice?

Thank you
a+
Better place in the garden? No matter ...
A place in the shade makes it easier to manage the summer drying, but it is not very important.
Compared to what Christophe said, I agree with c), but not with b): a well-made compost does not "smell"!

A cover is also important to manage the humidity in the compost: too humid it rots; too dry, no bacteria work ...
Better a cover, easily removable.
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 06/08/09, 09:47

sebarmageddon wrote:[...] on the other hand, I believe to have made a stupidity, yesterday I put waste of thuja, it seems that that is not well, what is your opinion on the pieces of thuja in a composter?

a+
If there are, there really must be quite a few, as hyghflyaddict says, but it's possible to compost anyway.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 06/08/09, 09:52

Christophe wrote:[...] Kk1 would have a list of plants to avoid composting? (Lumberjack?)
Apart from the reservations on the Thuja, we at Asso do not give lists of plants to avoid...

On the other hand, you will find certain local brochures (published by ComCom, for example) which tell you that you should not put this or that (plane tree leaves, sick leaves, weeds, etc ...)

In principle, if you control your compost and the temperature rise phase is reached, ALL plants can be composted in a maximum of 9 months ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 06/08/09, 10:00

sebarmageddon wrote:[...]
do you have a list of what is, and is not to be composted?

Christophe wrote:Well for what to compost it's easy: everything that is biodegradable (for example: we put the soiled paper towels there), some say not to put meat (because of the animals that it could attract) but we put it anyway ... sometimes we find bones on the other side of the garden : Cheesy:

In any case, the meat does not prevent composting ...
[...]
Agree with Chris: we can start from the basic premise that anything organic can be composted!
With a reservation: all faeces must be composted separately, for a minimum of one year, to avoid possible problems with pathogenic germs.

Afterwards, when you compost animal materials, you have to be more careful: it tends to smell a little and it can go peanut if you are not good at managing humidity. In addition, it attracts "prowlers" (rodents, dogs, ...) so composting in a bin is essential.

In what is not to be composted: everything that is waste from the house and that is not organic (sweepings, vacuum bag, etc.)
0 x