EP use for drinking water: what possible treatment?

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
sam_barton
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

EP use for drinking water: what possible treatment?

by sam_barton » 02/07/09, 20:35

Hello everybody

I just found out what forum which seems very complete!

I explain my problem to you :
I live in the Antilles and as part of the construction of a villa in Saint-Martin (island north of Guadeloupe), I must recommend a system to collect rainwater and make it drinkable.

So I stop you immediately: I know perfectly well that French law does not allow it, etc etc ...
But in fact, water is very, very expensive on this island. Everyone collects rainwater and uses it for everything. And it is tolerated by the authorities.

For the treatment itself, I plan to put a UV treatment system (are there other systems? Reverse osmosis?) With cascade filters, but I do not know what type?

thank you in advance for your help :)
0 x
little sparrow
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by little sparrow » 02/07/09, 21:54

Bonjour,

indeed, many people (who read the texts diagonally) will tell you that it is forbidden this or forbidden that .....

don't worry, rest assured, by correctly reading article 1 of this famous decree of August 21, 2008, you will realize that the drinking water from rainwater does not come within the scope of this decree ...

to objectively determine a good channel (and not just one filter!) for filtering / drinking water from rain, we must already know its general quality characteristics, since we must consider that "the treatment adapts according to need "...

I highly recommend you in your case to register on my site to discover (in member access only) the series of 5 articles which I carried out in this direction, describing the various successive stages of a complete conception of 'such an installation ....
1. capture
2. prefiltration
3. storage
4. pumping
5.filtration
(to come) 6. implementation

sorry for this referral, but I cannot transcribe everything here for such a request, and in my opinion, each of these stages is important, nothing is to be overlooked, so if you are looking for a well-studied and efficient design, this dossier "EDP installation: procedure" I think you will be very useful ...!

maybe soon, right here for more details ....

cordially
0 x
well hello to you !! ...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 02/07/09, 22:46

the law is the law, but bacteria cannot read! so it is not the laws of men that count, but the laws of nature

drinking water does not need to be sterile: most bacteria are harmless ...

water from a bad well easily contains pathogenic bacteria from neighboring men who may be sick

the water in the sky seems safer to me

the main thing is not to make it a cultured boullion or the rarest microbe will develop

my method for 15 years: let lose to the non-potable tank the first days of rain: then when I estimate my roof well rinsed send the rest to the potable tank: even if it is a little bit cloudy ca decante less 24 hours and becomes clear: this water can be stored for a very long time, like mineral water: I conclude that sufficiently pure water kept in the dark does not allow algae or bacteria to live

so for a long time I haven't even had a filter: I only count on the selection of good rainy days and decantation to have water that I find drinkable
0 x
sam_barton
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by sam_barton » 03/07/09, 04:59

Thank you 2 for your help!
I understood the idea that you wanted to get across!

Little Perriot, I just signed up on your site : Lol:
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 04/07/09, 15:44

It is nevertheless in Martinique, where the ambient temperatures are higher than at home. Personally, I would be more careful and I will use either reverse osmosis or UV.

I draw your attention to the fact that you do not need drinking water for everything.

Drinking: kitchen sink, sinks, shower (you never know with children)
not drinkable: WC, watering, washing machine.

I am divided about the dishwasher: do you think bacteria appreciate this kind of treatment?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
marieagnes
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by marieagnes » 04/07/09, 15:53

I am very happy to have drinking water everywhere ... my son drinks water from the toilet as soon as my back is turned ... !!! (however it must not be very drinkable! beurrrrk !!!!)
0 x
little sparrow
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by little sparrow » 04/07/09, 16:28

Bonjour,

I am divided about the dishwasher: do you think bacteria appreciate this kind of treatment?

Do you think that your dishes (being washed in "drinking" water) are sterile when you take them out of the cupboard and put them at the table ???

What dose of bacteria do we eat daily without realizing it, do you think?

Would you also be a victim of this typically French "acute bacteriophobitis" ... ?? : Cheesy:
(humor!)

cordially
0 x
well hello to you !! ...
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 04/07/09, 19:14

would you also be a victim of this typically French "acute bacteriophobitis"

Oh, it's very recent among the French: heritage of women's magazines.

But we are made so much noise on listeria and other escherichia coli ... :D
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 04/07/09, 19:42

You have to eat yogurts and lots of smelly cheese to make good intestinal flora!
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 04/07/09, 23:13

my drinking water tank is not buried: it is very hot in summer and it does not pose any problem

my non-potable tank in very old masonry is always cold but never very clean because the soil infiltration water falls into it
0 x