Coup de Gueule: crisis and profits on packaging

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Coup de Gueule: crisis and profits on packaging

by Grelinette » 29/06/09, 20:38

It is true, regularly one of us comes to the site to poke ...

It's my turn ! : Evil:

Here are the facts:
For a few months, even a few years, we have been drowning with great awareness campaigns to consume better and cheaper ... in these times of crisis, it is common sense!

I recently saw a report or a consumer defense association sounding the alarm and claiming that big box stores are sneakily taking advantage of this craze for the purchase of products packaged in larger quantities to precisely increase prices! !!

Out of curiosity I checked and .... HORROR it is true: per unit the packs of 12 are more expensive than those of 6. Cookies, drinks, animal food, pasta, etc. .

In addition, it's never very easy when comparing when you see prices like this: € 6 for 150 grams and € 18 for 400 g!

I don't know if this is a new marketing strategy or a mistake, but it's important to come and have a rant ... it is useless but it relieves a little!

Ha ... here, I'm a little better.
Last edited by Grelinette the 29 / 06 / 09, 23: 19, 1 edited once.
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 29/06/09, 23:14

For example, 5kgs crystallized sugar costs more than 5 packs of 1kg, I confirm.
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 30/06/09, 01:08

I saw this for sugar, flour ...

A few months ago, it was the pack of 2 SD cards, much more expensive than twice the same card as the unit.
: Shock: One wonders if the brands or sellers are sane?

In a hyper store, the same bananas sold a third more expensive in the "fruit and vegetables" department than those sold in the "discount store" department, 20 m away.
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 30/06/09, 07:45

Many people shop at full speed and due to the hectic city life, they no longer take the time to look at the prices.

It has to go fast, you don't have to wait too long at the cash desks and they benefit. The most attractive prices are the least accessible, the shelves change places regularly and to go quickly we take a brand of large volume so as not to waste time in shops ...

In short by wanting to save time on everything to be able to do more things, we get stressed and no longer take the time.

We work we reward the inactive (complainers, shareholders) rather than the producers (workers, employees). And you always have to do more for kif kif or less ... In short, if you don't have bonuses, you get depressed, by being pressured you go into depression ...

And in this case having fun making the price comparisons at the end of a working day, or the WE when the shops are crowded, we catch the items as quickly as possible to escape from the store and get stuck in traffic jams to go home or to spend the rest of the weekend in the countryside or the beach ...
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Coups de Gueule: crisis and profits

by Targol » 30/06/09, 09:22

Grelinette wrote:I don't know if this is a new marketing strategy or a mistake, but it's important to come and have a rant ... it is useless but it relieves a little!

Unfortunately, this is not new. It has been a basic strategy of mass distribution for years.

As ex-océano pointed out, consumers are in a hurry and the few who look at the prices compare more from one brand to another (for the same packaging) than from one packaging to another (for the same brand).

The general idea that the bulk purchase is cheaper, the consumer will take the big packaging (even if it makes him too much and he throws a part).

Supermarkets play on this behavior and "rip off" (*) by overcharging large packaging.

(*) in quotes because there is nothing illegal in this practice as long as the price per kg is clearly mentioned. It's gross but not illegal.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

Re: Coups de Gueule: crisis and profits

by Christophe » 30/06/09, 09:40

Grelinette wrote:In addition, it's never very easy when comparing when you see prices like this: € 6 for 150 grams and € 18 for 400 g!

Uh I think it is always (for how long?) Mandatory to specify the price reported at 1 kg (or 1L) ... So always look carefully ...

For the rest I agree but I find that supermarkets have "calmed down" for a few weeks .... at least on some products.

Example: pastries. 6 months ago it was pastry prices (or almost) or 8 to 10 € the pie, there we "find" pies 6/8 people at 2.5 or 3.5 €! For this price, let's not come back, it's full of E4XX ... but the one at 8 or 10 € was probably not less! The sales are also not badly interesting I find ... 50% in 1st markdown is not bad ... I'm not talking about the clothes ... Sorry to play devil's advocate but the egg farmer category 3 on the market and among small traders has cooled me down! : Shock:
0 x
marieagnes
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by marieagnes » 02/07/09, 16:57

yes the prices per kg are always indicated but must be good eyes so it is noted in small ....

I buy growth milk for my son (I do not know if it is really good given the composition ... but my pediatrician tells me that it is essential .... :? I believe average but good ...), the cheapest you imagine it is the one that is in a very small bottle: a bottle = a bottle sold by 32 bottles (otherwise it is much more expensive)

so if I fold at the least it makes me a week 14 small bottles of waste rather than 2 large ... is this normal ????

(luckily with us, there is selective sorting and the town hall recycles plastic)
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 03/07/09, 15:42

I had seen even stronger (and shouted ... from the manufacturer and a large area):
A famous brand of aperitif cookies (squares with cheese) sold several pack sizes. The large package had the very large inscription "Format economic".
After checking with many stores, all of them sold for more than the smaller packages! : Evil:

It has become "Family Size" I believe now.
A little less con artist.
0 x
Solar Production + VE + VAE = short cycle electricity
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 03/07/09, 16:00

by law, in Belgium, the display of the price per kg of goods is compulsory in Belgium (and respected). Is it the same in France? (in addition to the packaging price: there are therefore 2 prices)

We, we do not hurry: we arrive at ..... on Saturday at 10 am (not before, otherwise too many departments are not replenished) with our list, super rode, we have a standard route. We leave around 10h3 / 4. Then we go to (German hard discount chain) for a whole series of preselected products (lemonades, red wine, cold meats, some cheeses, some frozen). There, we are super organized: when possible one of the two goes to the checkout line up while the other feeds the cart. And hop, it's finished in 1:30)
For vegetables, we go to the Sunday morning market .... on foot ... then to worship, close to the market. Our regular merchant's vegetables are not always cheaper, but they last longer :D
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be