Vortex wind turbine towers: synthesis

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 31/05/08, 16:33

I understood your message and I agree. But the ratio of 2.58 / 1 is not the output of the plants, it is the overall.
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 01/06/08, 00:19

Je suis d'accord

and bringing this ratio lower than 2/1 should nevertheless interest the world ...
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Chrysos
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Chrysos » 03/05/09, 18:41

Hello. Student in Thermal and Energy Engineering, there are some aspects of this tower so enticing that I cannot explain myself:

You say I quote "They have a curved (plan) shape, in order to initiate a rotational movement of the air sucked into the tower, rotation which is amplified from the base to the top and is self-sustaining thanks to to the force of Coriolis. "
The word self-maintains disturbs me, knowing that no physical phenomenon can maintain itself. And this especially if you consider the huge pressure drops that there would be in the tower with this speed.

In addition, I seem to have read that it was a question of using humid air, ie air with suspended water droplets? Who would hit nearly mach 0,7 turbine blades? Or did I misunderstand?

And, still if I understood correctly, solar energy would in fact be the basic energy used to heat the air which would then rise ..... how do you plan to overcome the problem of regulation encountered by solar installations ( the sun doesn't stop when you want)? And since we know that with each thermodynamic transformer, there are losses, why prefer such a system rather than simple solar collectors (always if we use solar as basic energy)?

Here I hope that I did not miss passages on the subject, and that my questions are not stupid. Otherwise the project looks attractive.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 21/06/09, 18:35

I heard that a Nazare type tower would be under construction near Tangier in Morocco.
With a height of 150m it should produce 50Mw.
Stay tuned ...
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 21/06/09, 18:50

Hello

http://alltrends.over-blog.net/article-32648828.html

With the vortex tower, the atmospheric whirlpool can reach 20 km high ...

: Shock:
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 21/06/09, 19:10

This is the info I had.
Weird, however, that we don't talk about this in the media any more!
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 21/06/09, 19:13

because there is a good chance that it is not very productive, or that it does not work as "expected" (as desired a little blissfully ...).

Is it a matter of generating small tornadoes at will, and in addition taking part of their energy? : Idea:
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 21/06/09, 19:53

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
Tens of billions spent on a project like ITER, and almost nothing for this type of device?
Certainly the Nazare project may seem complex (like Michaud's) the interaction with the atmosphere which can cause the whirlpool phenomenon to fluctuate seriously.
However in the case of the Coustou type patent I do not see how it could not work, even if the 1000Mw of power for a tower of 300m seems to me to overvalue.

Oh, by the way, wouldn't you have 200 million euros to lend me?
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 21/06/09, 20:34

Hi Sen no Sen,

if you want something solar, which works for sure and inexpensively, then do concentrated solar + Stirling or steam turbine.

With a square 1 km aside, you can generate a peak with current technology, 300 W / m², or 300 MW, and on average half.

With a square of 10 km per side, you make the trifle of 30 GW.

In France, we have around 60 GW nuclear installed ...

Complement the whole of a thermal storage buried and isolated in the ground and you give the powers at will.

Now, as you say, we can have fun throwing 200 million euros in a vortex effect tower to make drafts and see the effect of Coriolis forces (which only exist in the terrestrial repository and who are not working, but hush ...).
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 21/06/09, 20:47

Concentrated solar power, and indeed an excellent source of production, remains the problem of sunshine, even if a "small" Desertec project located in Spain for example (why seek the sun any further?) Could settle the matter.
However I think that we should not neglect any concepts.
a+
0 x

Back to "Renewable energy: solar electricity"