Effects of the crisis: consumers more responsible?

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Christophe

Effects of the crisis: consumers more responsible?

by Christophe » 10/06/09, 14:23

Subject mentioned in FR3 news: the crisis would consume less and better!

Example with this shoemaker who has never had so much work: we prefer to repair the shoes that had been lying around for years in the closets rather than buying new ones! Even organic stores are "doped": we buy less but better (like it vaguely reminds me of the slogan of our shop)!

I find this very good: a real economic crisis contributes to making consumers more responsible than years of speech and advice?

Frankly we can believe it and that's good!

Is it the return of GOOD SENSE that our (grand) parents knew and applied from day to day before the debauchery of material abundance of which we are the object?

In any case, I believe in it!

In the same genre an article: http://www.greenunivers.com/2009/05/cri ... olos-6398/

The crisis makes consumers greener

The recession could have virtues on consumer behavior, according to the "Greendex" study conducted for the second year by the GlobeScan institute and the magazine "National Geographic" among 17 people in 000 countries (17).

55% of consumers in the 17 countries state that they are very concerned by environmental problems.

In terms of housing, they are more and more inclined to save energy, for example by adjusting the settings of their thermostat or by using less hot water to wash their clothes.

80% of those who make efforts to reduce the energy consumption of their homes explain that cost is one of their main motivations.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/06/09, 20:43

I'm not sure that necessity is the exact synonym for "common sense", but it can probably lead to it ...

On the specific points of the shoes, it should be noted that the most current current models are absolutely not designed to be repaired and this is, unfortunately, a fairly general observation: I have encountered this problem in many other areas.
If you insist, I have examples!

It makes quite a difference from grandparents' products!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 12/06/09, 22:24

Ahmed is right. let's just take the example of televisions. A modern LCD TV is limited to 3 subsets. Each sub-assembly (except food) worth more than 3/4 of the price of the new device (labor and shipping costs included, of course)

And to repair a sosu together, you need the test benches of the factory that made it. The only solution: warranty extensions. You have to resign yourself to an annual cost to have a TV and then basta!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
jlt22
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jlt22 » 12/06/09, 23:12

It is obvious that the crisis consumes less.
All countries are decreasing because consumers
only buy what is strictly necessary and avoid the superfluous, in this sense they also consume better
The companies can no longer sell their production and lay off workers.
Nobody knows what tomorrow will be like and so everyone will
tighten your belt while waiting for better days and start to reuse the objects that would have ended up in recycling center.

On the energy side, people started to save in 2008 during the rise in oil and we see carpool areas being built everywhere in the countryside.
In the city I suppose there are more followers of public transport
Well insulated houses, superior to the RT 2005 standard, have also appeared. Others improve the insulation of their old house.

On the waste side, there are fewer purchases and therefore less waste, many also understood that it became necessary to reduce them.
In fact the crisis helping, many are those who avoid any waste.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/06/09, 23:51

jlt22 wrote:It is obvious that the crisis consumes less.
All countries are decreasing because consumers
only buy what is strictly necessary and avoid the superfluous, in this sense they also consume better

I would like to believe it (for the planet, the environment, our children, their children ...) but I spent a good part of the day in a shopping center (something I can't stand anymore ...) and I can tell you that the superfluous is always present and therefore well bought !!

For the rest, I agree enough: people are MORE careful but that does not mean that they have become consumer-actors, eco-citizens or econologists (your choice) ... Must say that we started from very "far" ...
0 x
Hasardine
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Hasardine » 13/06/09, 14:22

all the same, it reveals that if people have their old grolles repaired! that they did not throw them away (not so much waste as you might think!) and that small traders will be able to breathe a little, to survive for those who still know what service is! finally such is my hope!

on the other hand, if everyone does like some of us to fix everything ourselves, we do not make their lives easier!

PS thanks guys, my dishwasher works fine thanks to you. (I have an extra piece after reassembly, but not a word to my husband, he would be furious! Chuuuuuuuuuut!)
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 13/06/09, 23:14

There was a guy who had the same problem with a mower, he repaired it, got an extra piece.
The mower started, it mowed its entire garden but when it was stopped, a part was missing ...
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 14/06/09, 01:38

Hasardine wrote:PS thanks guys, my dishwasher works fine thanks to you. (I have an extra piece after reassembly, but not a word to my husband, he would be furious! Chuuuuuuuuuut!)
I wouldn't worry, but as the suggestion suggests ocean, the extra room is actually less in your device ... in general the operation is affected ...
:?
You should tell us soon that it works less well, your junk ... :?
And for good reason...
So try a second chance operation, take your time, observe carefully and put it back in good place.
: Mrgreen:
0 x