Wind turbine and windy: flag or brake?

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 12/12/08, 13:13

Thank you for these explanations but I am surprised that with all these debates and studies on wind turbines we find almost nothing on mechanical systems for securing wind turbines when this is the main problem (too much wind = total stop of production)!

Otherwise, Looping, to come back to what I call "feathering" this is what you call "side erasing", right?
I don't see the nuance between the 2.

My idea to change the angle of attack of the blades until the total erasure (stop the pale in the axis of the wind) was an idea like that but I think that it is quite simple to conceive, either at level of the rotor axis is more pale there must certainly result in a balance effect (force of the wind / catch in the wind) which makes your wind turbine almost always works. I will study the case.

I still have the possibility to know how the old wind turbines are protected, it is to go and examine one on the spot: there are some near my home. They are obviously very old with a lot of blades so with very large wind resistance (in addition there is often a strong mistral here) which proves that the system is effective!

last-second info ... they just gave me the address of a site where to find all the technical explanations. I haven't seen everything there yet, but here is the link anyway: http://www.ecolabenergies.fr/Francais/Frfr.html
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 12/12/08, 13:20

Hello

The feathering is the orientation of the blades to obtain a zero angle of incidence. This is the formula adopted on large wind turbines to brake / stop the rotor.
It is not a passive device, it requires an electronic control and a mechanical actuator.

The lateral erasure is different. It is a true passive safety system (without external action) which turns the wind turbine towards 90 ° of the axis of the wind.
The rotor, thus positioned, slows down and the thrust force is also reduced.

A+
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 12/12/08, 13:57

In sailing, feathering is called being downwind.
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Corpse Grinder 666
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Corpse Grinder 666 » 12/12/08, 14:50

0 x
manitou22
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by manitou22 » 19/05/09, 01:21

Hello,
to adjust the angle of attack according to the wind speed, you can use a WATT regulator (James), it's the right device, the concern is the adjustment. The feathering will be done at a certain wind speed (to be determined) but at that time, your propeller will no longer rotate and this idiot regulator, he will understand that it is necessary to reopen the angle of attack! And here we go again for a hellish cycle !, so we need a second system based on the force of the wind (to follow your optics) which blocks this regulator as long as the speed limit is exceeded, it must be able to be done by digging a little.
See you
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 19/05/09, 12:47

Gregconstruct wrote:I think it depends on how your wind turbine is studied but whatever happens there will always be a time when you will have no choice but to feather.
Always... :?
The last spring storm announced 160kmh of wind.
The friend who is autonomous with a Rutland wind turbine, do not put it down because it resists 180kmh ... indeed it has resisted.
8)
However, she was snoring a little. He was happy his batteries were fully charged ...
: Lol:
0 x