Cardboard PCs: eco friendly or eco enemy?

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

Cardboard PCs: eco friendly or eco enemy?

by Christophe » 03/02/09, 19:17

No, it's not an insult, it's the "green find" of some Designers who are in neon green! : Mrgreen:

Why neon green? Because to say that a pc is "green" because its box is cardboard is nonsense ...

Indeed; 99% of the ecological impact of a computer is:

a) the gray energy of its manufacture (very important compared to its weight) and sale
b) the energy of its use
c) the recyling (or not, usually it is not) of its components

The case is a very small part of the ecological impact of a computer!

So this kind of product could turn out to be worse for the environment: this "green" box can make its owner think that his pc is much more "green" and that he can therefore, without any guilt, change it more often! The effect of these cardboard PCs would therefore be much worse ... and I'm not talking about spilled coffee!

Found on http://www.core77.com/greenergadgets/ where there are a lot of other green "gadgets" (hence the name)

ps: the idea of ​​the modular cardboard box is still interesting but it's not "eco friendly"
0 x
chrome
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by chrome » 03/02/09, 22:15

:|

Well, there is not only an ecological question here but a technical one:

1) Ventilation (sucks the dust remains blocked in the carton)
2) The cardboard has no heat loss effect (all the components (processor, graphics card etc .. overheating compared to a good old sheet)
3) Humidity ?? (when the computer is off)
4) Vibration deformations (fans, hard drives and others ..)

The accumulation of all this is a deformation of these famous boxes called "ecological" which will not hold in my opinion very long.

An ecological pc I see it well in tansparent mineral oil like here:

why not a way to recover the heat produced this PC absolutely silent : Cheesy:

We add a pump that goes into a radiator and presto it is a heater : Cheesy:

Information and sale here:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/02/09, 09:13

Good remark, anyway I think (phew) that these are only "eco-friendly concepts" exactly like the printer at the Marc de Café: https://www.econologie.com/forums/l-impriman ... t7029.html it is also presented on the site!

Regarding the oil PC with radiator: in all cases 100% of the calories dissipated by the PC contribute to heat the air ... whether it passes through an intermediate fluid (oil) or not the balance sheet thermal is the same.

That all the same long that I wonder about the precise and real performance of a pc: Does 100.00% of the watts consumed by the computer really go into heat or not? Indeed: there may be a part of the energy which passes into "quantum energy" ... and there I RAM! (sorry it was easy)
0 x
chrome
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by chrome » 04/02/09, 18:55

All the same, for a long time that I wonder about the precise and real performance of a pc: do 100.00% of the watts consumed by the computer really go into heat or not? Indeed: there may be a part of the energy which passes into "quantum energy" ... and there I RAM! (sorry it was easy)

Already from what I know there is a TDP on each component (cpu, gpu etc ..):

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_Design_Power

In 2008, most desktop computers sold use processors that consume less than 100 W, and almost all new laptops have processors less than 40 W (several Atom models have an official 2 W TDP).

Calculation Report / TDP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation

It is thanks to this that we identify the overclocking potential (less TDP at equal power) 8) , there is a Speed: Power ratio [MHz / W]

From where the interest of the pc to the mineral oil or a portable pc (but level performance aie aie)!

The heat release gain produces:

Either readjust the power consumed (pc components heat less) or we increase the performance of the machine (gain power and heat consumption identical) because:

- no fan: so less Watt even if it's laughable
- less maintenance: no dust in the pc
- No noise except that of the pump
- possibility of overclocking or underclocking (therefore to improve the performance of the pc and the "heating" very important)

It is as compared our good old radiators oil baths (pc mineral oil) and our radiators in ventilated sheets (normal pc) except that here we gain in power because we can overclock (or vice versa) computer with some knowledge that I do not bother : Cheesy:

PS:

Amd recently fought a world record absolute frequency thanks to the Phenom 2 quad core, reaching the insolent frequency of 6500 Mhz. Good to do that they have a little "pushed" the baby in these last retrenchment, cooling it initially liquid nitrogen (-193 ° c) and then liquid hydrogen (-269 ° c). Recall that the absolute zero (the lowest temperature in the universe peaks at -273 ° c.

I pass you the details, but they managed to make a consequent benchmark on 3D Mark05 of 45 474 points. The processor was supported in its task "only" by 2 Radeon 4870 X2

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB0JodKgZ0A&eurl

it's processor efficiency ^ ^ but what energy cost : Shock:
0 x