Some videos from “Cars & Engineering”

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Remundo

Re: Some videos from "Cars & Engineering"

View Remundo » 14/05/24, 19:38

AD Blue degrades all the time, even "pure".

Urea is an unstable molecule which, upon contact with water, dissociates into NH3 and CO2 according to:

(NH2)2CO + H2O <=> 2 NH3 + CO2

When we examine the "literature" on this subject, the storage of the product must not exceed 30°C or 18 months in time.

If a vehicle is not driven for a long time, it is even advisable to drain its ADBLUE
3 x
Remundo

View Remundo » 17/06/24, 12:24

the British ranking of automobiles for their reliability

2 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View Macro » 17/06/24, 14:25

I'm in the process of reassembling a 5-cylinder Audi TTRS... A very nice mechanic... Shutdown follows a small butterfly screw in the intake that the air girls had played. .. 6000€ for engine reconditioning.. Not counting the time spent dismantling and undressing (and vice versa) The owner did not want to leave it at my place...
2 x
Take revenge with your success. punished with your absence. Kill with your silence. Win with your joy of living
Remundo

View Remundo » 17/06/24, 14:31

I recognize the super Mechanic that you are. And you're also good at electrics.
1 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View Macro » 17/06/24, 18:33

Beautiful beast
image.jpg
image.jpg
3 x
Take revenge with your success. punished with your absence. Kill with your silence. Win with your joy of living
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View Obamot » 17/06/24, 19:12

I also admire this know-how!

Unfortunately, we can no longer count the Audis with "trivial" engine problems which will cost several thousand euros. At BMW too... Having to take out the engine to change the water pump is just one of the sad examples. To a large extent, aficionados of these brands pay with heavy hearts for these “breakdowns” presented to customers as "exceptions" (which are not...) and this since the Audi 100... I still remember 20 years ago, the reflection of one of these hall managers of the technical inspection services (the owner had cordially left the vehicle for us to inspect before purchasing A beautiful beast, Audi 100 C4 2,6 V6 and intended to run on E85...)

— So what's the matter with her, at least she gets through the visit...?
— Oh not right away, she doesn't have much, but it's next to nothing.
—Aaah?
— There are the struts at the front that need to be overhauled, the silent blocks replaced and the geometry done...
— Phew then, it’s not too serious, how much could it cost?
— Well, these bits and pieces, a little over 4000...!
Eh...??? : Shock: : Cry:
— Well yes my good sir, you want to drive LUXURY cars and you pay for the repairs at the price of luxury...

Didn't have it both ways... : Wink:
Last edited by Obamot the 17 / 06 / 24, 19: 20, 1 edited once.
1 x
Remundo

View Remundo » 17/06/24, 19:17

From memory all the same, there were extremely robust models, not exhaustively the Mercedes 190 D and also the Audi 80.

I think that modern cars are far too sophisticated without providing a truly superior travel service to our "good old ones" from the 80s and 90s.

Full of gadgets, electronics, more or less happy interactions between lots of systems. Added to this are major design flaws. I remember the engine compartments, where you could pass your arm and even your shoulder, whereas now even your little finger gets stuck. For a trivial breakdown or even routine maintenance, you have to dismantle a lot of things... I no longer know which car needs to remove its bumper to change the headlights, mind-boggling!

Refurbishing the running gear depends on the age and mileage of the car, but it's not shocking. beforehand. The "silent blocks" have the drawback of aging even if the car is not running, however you can still drive even if the handling is degraded.

Sometimes the question of course arises of incurring costs in relation to the residual value of the car.

Personally, I feared electronic failures on the Golf 7 GTE, and ultimately there were no problematic failures. The powertrain is impeccable.

But some accessories were sluggish, like the trunk jacks, the electric hatch and the weakly glued US sensors which fall into the bumper. Twice I had to intervene because of these sensors falling.

In cold weather, my touchscreen froze a few times, but normal operation always returned.
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View sicetaitsimple » 17/06/24, 21:32

Remundo wrote:I think that modern cars are far too sophisticated without providing a truly superior travel service to our "good old ones" from the 80s and 90s.

Stopping at “displacement service” is perhaps a bit simplistic.
On the one hand because today's cars are still much safer than those of the 80s/90s.
And that they are generally more durable.
But I'm not a fan of excessive sophistication (especially electronics) either.
0 x
Remundo

View Remundo » 17/06/24, 21:35

sicetaitsimple wrote:And that they are generally more durable.

it is discussed...

we are better at maintaining 80-90 cars with little electronics than post-2000 gas plants packed with sensors and specific diagnostic equipment.
0 x
Christophe

View Christophe » 17/06/24, 21:53

According to the video you posted above, it was especially after 2010 that things really went to hell!!

My sister bought a new Citroen C5 Aircross hybrid 2 years ago (probably around €40): at 30 km I noticed that its geometry is crap... : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

It has certainly never been well adjusted in fact...from the factory...the Citroën class!

Help! : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

I'm not even talking about the very pathetic trunk in terms of volume... a real SUV... high on legs, it shows off... but nothing in the pants!! : Mrgreen:
1 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."