Caller number displayed wrong (spoofed) ... new scams in sight?

Buying well and choosing a product or service well means, in addition to being satisfied, consuming less and preserving the planet, it is essential in 2021 to buy better! Also the exchange of information and experiences makes it possible to avoid various scams and crooks. In 2021, it is essential to exchange your experiences of use, positive or negative, because the market for products and services for the consumer has never been so abundant in the history of mankind. Helping to choose better is essential because buying better means buying sustainable!
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Caller number displayed wrong (spoofed) ... new scams in sight?

by Obamot » 13/09/21, 00:00

Usually I pick up, and say nothing on the phone, and it hangs up : Cheesy: :D : Cheesy:
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 13/09/21, 19:03

I make it much simpler, if the number is unknown, I do not pick up. If it's important, I'll get a message.

So, I didn't try to do the reverse, call myself with a "wrong" number, but I don't think it will work.

Tomorrow I will put, for example on my station at work, 03 11 11 11 11, and ring my cell phone, and from my cell phone, make the call again.
Pretty sure it won't.

You can ask an operator for a "regional" number, like "0362", for me, who has a "code" in 03, but as it is in VOIP, that will not change anything for the caller.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 13/09/21, 19:35

Well if it's Voice-of-IP, it's all IT, we don't know which protocol accepts its operator or in which bandwidth layer, but for a genius of networks, everything must be possible, right?
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 13/09/21, 20:09

There the test that I had done, was in non-VOIP access, but T2 access.

In fact we have half T2 (15 channels, or 15 simultaneous calls), and 2 T0 or ISDN accesses, 2 channels per T0 access.

Even without VOIP, it works.

For the moment, I only have 3 VOIP channels on this PABX there.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 13/09/21, 22:20

phil59 wrote:...
So beware, the number that appears on your cell phone is not necessarily the real one ...

And not only on laptops, on landlines too. Difficult in these conditions to fight against telephone harassment by margoulins.
I wonder to what extent we could not turn against the operator, who is supposed to give us the caller number.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 13/09/21, 22:52

It's exactly the same pb as what you put for an email.

You use a medium, and that's it.

So do not trust what is written on the phone screen.
0 x

Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 13/09/21, 23:11

On the Orange site:
"When you receive a call, the number presentation allows you to identify your correspondent before picking up."
https://assistancepro.orange.fr/ligne_f ... ant-300986

If the number he presents is wrong, this identification cannot be made, so Orange is lying to us.

If the presentation of the caller's number is contractual, then one could turn against his operator. Maybe that would shake things up, because "bloctel" is junk.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 14/09/21, 12:30

Test this morning, if I change my phone number, I cannot be called back on this number, which is not assigned.

If it had been assigned, it would have switched to the "real" recipient.

When in Orange, it only retransmits the information of the caller, erroneous or not.

It is not orange alone, which manages the entire network.

When I switched 2 PSTN lines to the PABX last week, it was scheduled for 10am. I had put 2 DECT telephones in my office, connected to the starting PSTN number.

10:01 am, one rings, and it was one of the two numbers switched.
0 x

Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 15/09/21, 21:07

phil59 wrote:...
It is not orange alone, which manages the entire network.

When it comes to securing, they know how to do it. If they wanted to control fake calling numbers and block even overseas services that use them, they could. This is already what they are doing with spam mail. But they don't care.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 15/09/21, 23:20

That's right, it would suffice to introduce this into a network protocol, I also believe that it already exists, and in particular implemented in laptops - since their identifier allows you to pay with - the other side of the coin unfortunately, it is is the possibility for a nosy state, to track citizens.

And for fixed devices, there are many that can activate all kinds of network “services”, I cannot say if a cross identification already exists (there is the possibility of sending SMS with a fixed line which is provided with the option) but if it were to become widespread one day, I imagine that new devices would be needed.

For the moment you can still hide your number by dialing # 31 # before the number to call.
0 x

Go back to "Reviews and tests of products and services." Good deals, scams and scams. What to choose, reviews and purchase tests to choose better! "