What is the margin of car manufacturers on a car?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: What is the margin of car manufacturers on a car?

by Ahmed » 03/06/20, 12:59

When I evoke an extension of the concept of danger, I allude to the fact that the dangers thus identified are no longer really ... I was also talking about air bags which are not subject to price control because of the price replacement ... One could also speak of the danger due to drivers who are more genuinely able to drive and who are, for the moment exempt from control?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 03/06/20, 13:06

Of course. Good technical condition of vehicles is only one factor in reducing the number and / or severity of road accidents, and certainly not the main one.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 03/06/20, 15:03

Ahmed wrote:When I evoke an extension of the concept of danger, I allude to the fact that the dangers thus identified are no longer really ... I was also talking about air bags which are not subject to price control because of the price replacement ... One could also speak of the danger due to drivers who are more genuinely able to drive and who are, for the moment exempt from control?

The airbags (or at least their firing devices) are self-checking by the airbag computer ... which displays a warning light on the dashboard if the system is faulty .... And this warning light is reason for against visit to the CT ... And even my friend Jacques Daniel could not forget this light ... My calculator was HS I had to replace it ....
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/06/20, 15:13

So my remark no longer applies (I date myself a little :? ) ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 05/06/20, 07:42

sicetaitsimple wrote:
Christophe wrote:
For the rest, the increasingly restrictive CT systems (see the 2019 MAJ in France) send for scrapping vehicles that could still run, in a reliable and healthy way, for years ... not all CTs have the mutual friend of Macro! : Mrgreen:

I do not see how you can say "in a reliable and healthy way". If there is a crippling fault at the technical control, there is a fault, period. And we can generally repair it, except structural defect such as significant corrosion or other.
The average age of ELVs (end-of-life vehicles), therefore scrapped, in France is 18,5 years (in 2017), including damaged vehicles. So, for the most part, roughly twenty years, excluding damaged vehicles.

https://www.ademe.fr/sites/default/file ... apport.pdf

I read the report (good not in full. But a good part). Thank you for transmitting it. The data on the age of the vehicles is ultimately thin (pages 39 and 40), and the report specifies that they may not be so reliable ... and they stop at 2017!

Interesting to see, and perhaps allows us to reconcile our feeling of "the new MOT will scrapped more vehicles": the vehicles currently scrapped are ... old vehicles! Kind of clio 2.
Basically, our "current" vehicles are for the moment little impacted by the measures taken on the MOT. We may have to wait 5 or 10 years to see if the average age of retired vehicles decreases.

In addition, these figures only relate to vehicles passing through a center: what about all the cars lying around on the owner's property because it costs him less than bringing him to the center? It shouldn't be that much, we agree, but still.

Finally, perhaps the sentence that scares the most, it is this:
The average age of ELVs treated by an approved center strongly depends on the activity of the center. The more he manages ELVs from insurers, the lower the average age:
- 72% of centers receive less than 10% of ELVs from insurers and declare an age
medium slightly above 19 years.
- Conversely, the 26 centers, more than 90% of the ELVs covered come from insurers,
declare a much lower average age, around 13 years.

I had no faith in insurance, but the, wow :)
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/06/20, 08:10

Rajqawee wrote:Finally, perhaps the sentence that scares the most, it is this:
The average age of ELVs treated by an approved center strongly depends on the activity of the center. The more he manages ELVs from insurers, the lower the average age:
- Conversely, the 26 centers, more than 90% of the ELVs covered come from insurers,

I don't see anything particularly surprising in it. Insurers send broken vehicles for scrap, not vehicles at the end of their technical life. That the average age of discarded accident vehicles, of the order of 13 years, approaches the average age of the fleet in circulation (10,6 years) seems normal to me, right?
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 05/06/20, 08:35

sicetaitsimple wrote:I don't see anything particularly surprising in it. Insurers send broken vehicles for scrap, not vehicles at the end of their technical life. That the average age of discarded accident vehicles, of the order of 13 years, approaches the average age of the fleet in circulation (10,6 years) seems normal to me, right?

Ahhhhhhhh yes! Maybe ! In any case you are right that must strongly impact downward. We have no info on the reasons .... shame. In fact this report focuses mainly on the reprocessing of materials, not so much on the life of the vehicle it seems.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/06/20, 11:10

Rajqawee wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:
Christophe wrote:
For the rest, the increasingly restrictive CT systems (see the 2019 MAJ in France) send for scrapping vehicles that could still run, in a reliable and healthy way, for years ... not all CTs have the mutual friend of Macro! : Mrgreen:

I do not see how you can say "in a reliable and healthy way". If there is a crippling fault at the technical control, there is a fault, period. And we can generally repair it, except structural defect such as significant corrosion or other.
The average age of ELVs (end-of-life vehicles), therefore scrapped, in France is 18,5 years (in 2017), including damaged vehicles. So, for the most part, roughly twenty years, excluding damaged vehicles.

https://www.ademe.fr/sites/default/file ... apport.pdf

(...)

Finally, perhaps the sentence that scares the most, it is this:

I think that the large, "richer" centers have repair contracts with the motorways or insurance companies, so they capture most of the damaged vehicles ... which naturally reduces the average age of ELVs ...

Besides, how many cars are decommissioned per year in France?

The middle age has greatly evolved in recent years:

10.6 years currently, it was:

8.7 years: average age of a private vehicle on January 1, 2015, compared to 8.3 years in 2014, 8 years in 2008 and 6,5 years in 1990.

According to wiki: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parc_auto ... n%C3%A7ais
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/06/20, 11:49

Other interesting info from the Ademe .pdf:

The average age of ELVs treated in 2017 was 18,5 years, up from the average age reported for 2016. The reported data show a great disparity (between 5 and 27,2 years). The reliability of this data still needs to be improved.

The centers which declare an average age of 5 years are necessarily roadside assistance with many recent damaged cars passed in ELV ...

The ELV deposit at the national level can be estimated at around 2,28 million vehicles

Compare with:

Car sales in France. 2,11 million new cars were sold in France in 2017, i.e. 0,066 cars per second (counter). ... The three French brands represent 54% of the French automotive market in 2016 compared to 54,48% in 2010.

0.066 car per second it makes a car every 15 seconds, it's clearer said like this ...

In 2017, 2 vehicles all combined were put on the market. 549 ELVs were declared covered by approved ELV centers in 402,

Where does the remaining million go? : Mrgreen:

Finally a little less since we sold less 18,5 years ago ... but that still makes a lot of vehicles that "disappear" from circulation ... more than 40% : Shock:
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 05/06/20, 19:12

I did not understand your reasoning Christophe?
0 x