A bicycle? Bicycle with thermal engine

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by BobFuck » 06/10/12, 23:18

Propane engine link:

http://www.golehr.com/products.shtml

A ridiculous application:

http://www.goped.com/products/proped/default.asp

It is a 25cc engine of 1HP therefore 750 W.

The scooter gives 20 miles (32 km) at 20 mph (full speed) for a 16.4oz (460g) "can". The trimmer gives 2 hours for the same can.

Autonomy is excellent for a scooter: on this kind of machine, one hour at 32 km / h is more than enough to kill yourself 10 times ...

Well. The can contains roughly 6 kWh (46.4 MJ / kg). It is 24x the capacity of an electric bicycle battery, it is still necessary to transform this chemical energy into mechanical energy ...

By the way, this scooter is really annoying: 185 Wh primary energy per km ... it's true that it's a little less than a car, we understand why they sell it to sores : Mrgreen: ...

As we don't yet have a suitable fuel cell (apparently research is concentrated on hydrogen, I wonder why ...) there remains the good old piston engine.

1 HP = 750W for one hour = 750 Wh, which gives us a 12% efficiency for the motor of the scooter.

It's not terrible. At the current price of propane (2 € per kilo approximately) that makes us the mechanical kWh around 1.20 €, so horribly expensive, almost double the electric kWh coming from a battery.

Perhaps the efficiency could be higher with the motor not "full".

On the other hand, that puts the km in elevation at around 0.40 € ... which is reasonable.
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by oli 80 » 07/10/12, 11:47

0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."