Small boats on the water: marine pollution?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Small boats going on water: pollution from the sea

by moinsdewatt » 19/09/12, 20:51

chatelot16 wrote: The sulfur burns SO2 in the smoke which ends in sulfuric acid strongly soluble in water

..... for the boats the sea is big and the boats are far away ... I think there are more serious problems to solve before this one

what you are not well informed about.
It is even a question of topicality.

European Parliament votes for sulfur directive at first reading

The first step in the procedure for adopting the directive aimed at transposing Annex 6 to the Marpol Convention into sulfur emissions from ships into Community law was taken yesterday at the plenary session of the European Parliament. The voted text provides for the reduction of the sulfur rate to 0.1% in the SECA zones (sulfur emission control zones, Baltic Sea, English Channel and North Sea) in 2015. In a second step, the sulfur rate will be lowered to 0.5% in all Community waters in 2020.

They are therefore provisions corresponding to the compromise text found between the Commission, the European Council and the Parliament and transposing almost faithfully the text of the International Maritime Organization. What was almost different, since a few months ago, the European Parliament recommended tougher measures than the IMO text, with in particular a reduction to 0.1% for all Community waters.

The text also provides for the possibility of public aid measures for shipowners who would experience difficulties in adapting the engine of their vessels to the new standards. However, these must be subject to the state aid scheme. The text must now be submitted to the vote of the European Council before its final adoption.

http://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/l ... re-lecture
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Small boats going on water: pollution from the sea

by chatelot16 » 19/09/12, 21:04

moinsdewatt wrote:The text also provides for the possibility of public aid measures for shipowners who would experience difficulties in adapting the engine of their vessels to the new standards. However, these must be subject to the state aid scheme. The text must now be submitted to the vote of the European Council before its final adoption.

adapt the engine? the engine can't help it: just give it sulfur-free fuel

except that if we no longer burn the petroleum distillation residue in the boats it will be burned elsewhere and that it won't change much at the level of the planet
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 19/09/12, 21:15

Adapt the engine? the engine can't help it: just give it sulfur-free fuel.

From what I understand, sulfur participates in lubrication, (probably from the injection system): removing the sulfur therefore requires, either modifying the engine, or replacing the sulfur with another adjuvant ensuring the same function.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 19/09/12, 21:56

no the sulfur in the heavy fuel oil is only shit that we tolerate because it is cheap: we would put good domestic fuel in these big boats it would work as well ... they could stop the heating and the big pumps that manage to get this cochonium through the pipes

but it remains to be seen what is the ecological effect of this burnt sulfur ... in my opinion unimportant as long as it is not burned in large quantities in the same place as the large factories in certianes era ... dispercé au 4 corner of the oceans I don't see the problem

there is no sulfur as in heavy fuel, there is as much in coal: there is more to be wary of thermal power plants as much in heavy fuel oil as in coal
0 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by gildas » 19/09/12, 22:46

For sulfur dioxide, it can be cleaned by cold plasma.
http://www.greenetvert.fr/2012/02/14/ap ... roid/46520
Could a new generation of more eco-friendly exhaust pipes be released soon? This is the goal of the work of Marquidia Josseline Pacheco Pacheco, project manager at the ININ plasma applications laboratory.

The researcher has developed a cold plasma reactor, which is particularly effective in trapping nitrogen oxides and the sulphur dioxide contained in the gases from the combustion of internal combustion engines. For the scientist, this is a major advance compared to traditional catalytic converters, the absorption of sulfur derivatives of which remains very limited:

Sulfur oxides poison catalytic converters and they lose their effectiveness.

This method has been mentioned on econology:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/depollutio ... t1953.html
0 x
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 20/09/12, 00:10

chatelot16 wrote: ... in my unimportant opinion as long as it is not burned in large quantities in the same place as the large factories at certain times ... dispercée at the 4 corner of the oceans I do not see the problem ...

Ben the problem, it is precisely that the boats follow maritime routes with points of concentration of the traffic.

I understand better why, when the weather is nice and little wind, we have the eyes and the bronchi that itch in the vicinity of the Strait of Gibraltar (lived experience). :?
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET
"We see what we believes"Dennis MEADOWS
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 20/09/12, 00:54

interesting remark! I would not have believed that the concentration of boat is enough to have this problem in Gibraltar

it would be possible to run the engines with cleaner fuel where there is this kind of risk ... I think that big boats already have several tanks to have different fuel
0 x