The sailing merchant sail, not so far away: the Pamir

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

The sailing merchant sail, not so far away: the Pamir

by Christophe » 18/11/06, 13:06

Contrary to what many people think (me the 1er), the sailing merchant navy was not abandoned so long ago as one might think.

A very good fiction was broadcast yesterday on Arte on this subject: "Le nauvrage du Pamir".

repeats:
03.12.2006 to 14: 00
07.12.2006 to 01: 20

Launched in 1905 by a shipowner from Hamburg, the Pamir is a majestic four-masted barque sailboat". 115 meters long and 14 wide, she has 3 m800 of sails and is part of the prestigious Cape Horn fleet. After changing owners on several occasions and surviving the two world wars, she was initially assigned from the 2s to the training of young merchant navy recruits.

From 1955 to its sinking, the school sailboat makes six trips to Buenos Aires to bring back grain to Hamburg. The seventh crossing is fatal. Caught in a hurricane off the Azores 21 SEPTEMBER 1957, the dark Pamir in thirty minutes. There are only six survivors on the 86 crew members. It seems that, despite the violence of the hurricane, the boat sank because of a succession of human errors. This sinking will be for the citizens of West Germany the opportunity to live together for the first time a collective mourning since the end of the war. Very specific research has taken place to give this film a real documentary value. The scriptwriter was inspired by two books written by one of the survivors and also studied the findings of a commission of inquiry into the causes of the wreck. With 7,5 million euros, this TV movie was the most expensive production of the first public German ARD channel for fiction in 2005.

http://www.arte.tv/fr/semaine/244,broad ... =2006.html

Cherry on the cake (from an econological point of view): the sinking is due to a series of human errors (including the captain) whose motivation was the only ... bait of gain (amazing no?)
Last edited by Christophe the 11 / 02 / 08, 13: 46, 1 edited once.
0 x
saveplanet
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by saveplanet » 18/11/06, 13:57

Astonishing indeed, I do not take this fiction! A bit the same problem, for used boats that come pouring their fuel into our oceans, all this to not make a big investment and continue to make a profit on a wreck.
0 x
Together we can change the
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/11/06, 14:02

saveplanet wrote:their fuel in our oceans

Ok for the "Nos" although it is also "theirs"

On the other hand NOT ok for "Their fuel"? Because you don't use a drop of fuel? Sorry but just to be able to type on your pc you need to consume petroleum ...

So the belief: "It's other people who pollute, I am clean" of some people is seriously starting to annoy me ...

saveplanet wrote: continue to make profit on a wreck.

The sinking of the Pamir has nothing to do with the state of the boat ... but cargo loading and navigation errors ...
0 x
zac
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

Re: The merchant marine sail, not so distant: the Pami

by zac » 18/11/06, 14:59

Christophe wrote:Contrary to what many people think (me the 1er), the sailing merchant navy was not abandoned so long ago as one might think.

Hello

sorry sir; the sail-seller still exists. : Lol:
in asia, africa, mada, venezuela etc. stop taking us to the center of the world : Evil:

and I speak only of the "legal" freight for the others the sail is far from being exceeded : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
Christophe

Re: The merchant marine sail, not so distant: the Pami

by Christophe » 18/11/06, 15:01

zac wrote:and I speak only of the "legal" freight for the others the sail is far from being exceeded : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

LOL Zac ... I recognize you well ..
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 03/10/08, 20:32

I think it would be interesting to rebuild "modern" boats with current techniques (like the one just shown on FR2)

You see the three mats, with automatic winches, solar panels, or wind turbines to produce juice on board : Shock:

It could be COLOSSAL!

And then the silence to make a cruise and even transport, it would not be negligible either!

Greetings from Lietseu :P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 04/10/08, 11:00

4 matte boats! how awful

it was good at the time or we did not know how to make large sails in one piece: it was therefore content to a large number of square veil inefficient and the worst requiring a hellish work to a large crew

today we would be able to make single mainsail all the way up the mast as in the racing sailboat

no one would like to have a cargo container freighter like a single-hull sailboat: long live the catamarans: when we see the performance of the racing boats, it could give the same average speed as the current cargo by using the engine that exceptionally

alas a large catamaran will be too wide to enter the port

I sometimes think bizare stuff or the sail part can separate from the loading part: the sail part stays off and never enters the port, the loading part is a motor boat to enter the port ...
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 05/10/08, 02:48

This is not idiots, remains to see how we could achieve this, if it is already done!

The last racing catamaran that came out, I saw it on FR2 was balese!

Do stuff like that for the freight transport, must not be impossible, I wonder even if there are no studies in progress ....

Greetings from Lietseu :P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu

"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?

One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
swift2540
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by swift2540 » 05/10/08, 03:05

One could imagine the principle on the basis of the container.
Containers are placed in the center of the catamaran.
For unloading, dock near the port and to unload, either:
-We can put the container in the water and it has a small engine to enter the port
_ the containers are placed in a "little train" and brought to the quay with a push boat, like a tug and barges on a river.

View of the mind, I know nothing about it in a boat ...
0 x
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 05/10/08, 09:07

chatelot16 wrote:
I sometimes think bizare stuff or the sail part can separate from the loading part: the sail part stays off and never enters the port, the loading part is a motor boat to enter the port ...

Like the obiwan kenobi spacecraft in star wars 1 / 2 / 3, the interstellar travel module comes off and stays in orbit ...

including trimaran: the hull of the middle is the freight which returns to the harbor, and the 2 lateral hulls the sails ...
0 x