The City of the Future

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

The City of the Future

by Elec » 17/02/09, 05:55

Image Sophia Antipolis, Nice
http://www.citedufutur.com

"Everyone agrees that the transport sector is essential to economic development. The desire for facilitated and increased mobility is also widely shared around the world. Transport also remains one of the world's most important main sources of air pollution and are responsible for over 20% of greenhouse gas emissions.

It is therefore essential to orient oneself on the path of sustainable mobility, of which electric transport is one of these major components. Clean, silent, and economical, electric transport (buses, trucks, cars, two wheels, etc.) does not pollute.

The will of public authorities as well as individuals to equip themselves with electric vehicles is more and more present, but it often comes up against a lack of knowledge of existing products and their adaptability to their needs.

This is why we have decided to create an advisory pole for the promotion and demonstration of electric vehicles: La Cité du Futur

We are also entering an era of technological breakthrough with engine changes. As Michel Costes said "The automobile crisis can be salutary".

In Chinese, the word “crisis” is the combination of two ideograms:
One means danger, the other, opportunity. We bet that in the long term it is the second who will prevail!

Erick kaspy
, President of the Cité du Futur

Too many people ignore everything about the considerable advantages of electro-mobility in terms of health (zero toxic emissions, almost zero noise pollution), environment, climate (CO2 balance from well to wheel more than twice as good as that of the thermal vehicle in Europe), economical (driving in an electric car costs much less than driving in a thermal car) etc. On the net, there are, for example, quantities of partial and even profound stupidity on the subject.

Education is therefore a key to the mass introduction of cars, motorcycles, bicycles and other means of electric locomotion. This educational center (located in Sophia Antipolis) is really part of a relevant approach from the perspective of sustainable development.

Elec
0 x
Korben Dallas
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: The City of the Future

by Korben Dallas » 17/02/09, 18:03

Elec wrote:Too many people ignore everything about the considerable advantages of electro-mobility in terms of health (zero toxic emissions, almost zero noise pollution), environment, climate (CO2 balance from well to wheel more than twice as good as that of the thermal vehicle in Europe) (...)

I am curious to see the analysis of the compared yields (from the well to the wheel between thermal and electric) ... If you could give us elements on this subject, it would be interesting.
0 x
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 17/02/09, 18:06

Hello Korben,

See this text and associated references:
http://www.electron-economy.org/article-27286879.html
0 x
Korben Dallas
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Korben Dallas » 17/02/09, 19:08

If I summarize the thermal / electrical comparison on cars, drawing the examples from the text:
- Thermal: efficiency 20% in petrol, 23% in diesel
- Electric: efficiency 70%

Don't forget, however, that the yield between primary energy and that available at the outlet is rather poor. From memory, it takes 2,58 kWh of primary energy to have 1 kWh available at the outlet. It gives us a return of 38,7% it seems to me. This 0,38 x 0,7 gives us 0,27 so the overall efficiency of electric motor is 27%. It does not seem so efficient, compared to that of diesel for example.

As for the price, the taxation of electricity is incomparably lower than that of petrol or diesel. We don't really compare the same things in the end.

Only point with which I can agree: the electric car produces 0 emissions at its place of use. As a result, it pollutes less during use. However, we must not forget the pollution due to its life cycle, nor that linked to the production of electricity.
0 x
Elec
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Elec » 17/02/09, 19:36

Korben Dallas wrote: As for the price, the taxation of electricity is incomparably lower than that of petrol or diesel. We don't really compare the same things in the end.

Driving in an electric car costs less (including battery) than driving in a petrol car, taxed or not. See the Deutsche Bank report on this:
http://www.electron-economy.org/article-27750660.html

About the CO2 balance:

At the CO2 level, the balance sheet of the electric sector is also better (and largely) compared to that of the liquid fuel sector, whatever the fuel used. On average, the carbon intensity per unit of mechanical energy (CO2 intensity of motive energy) is 1600 gCO2 / kWh (grams of CO2 per kilowatt hour) for a petrol vehicle and 1350gCO2 / kWh for a diesel vehicle. In the USA, a battery electric vehicle has an average carbon intensity of 1037gCO2 / kWh and for the European Union, 619 gCO2 / kWh [ 1; Fig16 page 91]. Note that 1 kWh of lithium storage capacity costs around 400 kWh of primary energy in the USA [39]. A battery with 20kWh capacity required an energy investment of 8 MWh. This battery, after 2000 cycles [39b], will have transferred 40 MWh. To take the construction of the battery into account, the data must therefore be corrected by 20%: the balance sheet remains very favorable for the electrical sector.

http://www.electron-economy.org/article-27286879.html
0 x