The car of the future

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Re: The car of the future

by Christophe » 05/02/19, 11:35

Another car of the future, the (the?) Raht Racer ... obviously not homologated (nor homologable for the moment considering the various and varied lobbyist pressures!)

raht_racer.jpg
raht_racer.jpg (88.18 KB) Viewed 7389 times

Maybe already presented above, I don't remember ...

Halfway between the recumbent bike and the racing car, this is the ultimate clean vehicle. Equipped with a cabin and an electric assistance, it could compete with the bicycle. And even the electric car ... if the law allowed.

Riding a bike rather than a car: everyone is for it, but who does it? In practice, wind, rain and the proximity of other vehicles are often the reason for our ecological convictions. Especially when it comes to going far. Even in the Netherlands, a bicycle paradise, 77% of bicycle journeys are made on less than 5 km and only 1% on more than 15 km.

While in France, 26 km on average separate our home from our work, would our Titines be irreplaceable? Not necessarily. A clean alternative vehicle already exists and it does not require millions of euros of investment like the electric car.

This vehicle is the velomobile. Coming from northern Europe, it appeared in the 1980s and has not stopped improving since. This strange pedal car is made up of a recumbent three-wheeled bike, protected by an aerodynamic shell.

The latter reduces air resistance by up to 30 times. Add to that pedaling in the supine position, and now the cyclist spends three to four times less energy than the handlebars of a traditional bicycle. This allows it to drive longer distances, but also to go faster. And this without sacrificing comfort: the bodywork protects it from bad weather and collisions, while the three wheels provide it with stability.

PEDAL AT 40 KM / H

A bicycle mobilist without training can easily reach 40 km / h on flat ground. It is therefore not uncommon in northern Europe to see one of these vehicles flashed for speeding. A source of pride more than bitterness in the small world of cyclists.

However, this tricycle has some flaws. First of all, its price: count between 2 and 500 euros to acquire one. This cost is explained by a still artisanal production and the use of high-end materials (carbon, kevlar, fiberglass ...). An important price certainly, but lower than that of a car and its fuel. Next comes its weight: weighing between 10 and 000 kg, it is slower at start-up and on hills than a conventional bicycle. This does not facilitate its use in the city.

80 TIMES MORE EFFICIENT THAN AN ELECTRIC CAR

Kris De Decker, author of the Lowtech magazine blog, claims to have the solution: electric assistance. To demonstrate this, he compared the assisted e-WAW velomobile and the Nissan Leaf electric car, two vehicles with a comparable range of 150 kilometers.

Weighing just 30 kilos, the velomobile is 46 times lighter than its competitor. This allows it to only carry a small 288 Wh battery, compared to 24 kWh for the car. It is therefore 80 times more efficient.

Especially since, according to his calculations, if all Americans traded their traditional car for Nissan Leaf, it would be necessary to multiply by 20 the production of the wind farm (that is 7200 gWh) to recharge them in an ecological way. Conversely, using e-WaW, a quarter of the wind power already installed would be more than enough (86,4 gWh).

THE ONLY REALLY SUSTAINABLE MODE OF TRANSPORT

In terms of autonomy, the velomobile is still a winner. For the e-WaW to reach a range of 450 km, it would suffice to add 6 kg of batteries. To do the same, it would be necessary to equip the Nissan Leaf with 400 kg of additional batteries. Enough to fill all his trunk and his back seat. Even without its pedals, the velomobile is still 20 times more efficient than the car, consuming only 0,7 kWh per 100 km compared to 15 kWh for the Nissan Leaf.

According to the author, assisted velomobile is none other than the only truly sustainable mode of transport. But for this alternative mode of transport to develop, legislation would have to evolve. Today considered as electric bikes, assisted velomobiles are indeed restrained at 25 km / h in France. Precisely the threshold from which their aerodynamics makes them more efficient than the bike ...

In the United States, an all-electric prototype running at 110 km / h already exists, the Raht Racer. But if you are rather a fan of slow, maybe you will be seduced by an amphibious velomobile, equipped with a small propeller to go on the water.

Jean Jacques Valette

Source: https://www.wedemain.fr/Le-velomobile-8 ... _a954.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/02/19, 11:38

Another nice but less racer:

0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 05/02/19, 12:04

In your penultimate message, it says in the comment:
Today considered as electric bikes, assisted velomobiles are indeed restrained at 25 km / h in France. Precisely the threshold from which their aerodynamics makes them more efficient than the bike ...

This is true, but only relates to performance during the relevant use of electric traction, that is to say when the propulsive effort becomes too restrictive for the cyclist: typically the hills or the starting phase. This clipping of the physical effort is the great contribution and the justification of the electric assistance and does not prevent from obtaining a very honest average because of the speed reached on the flat and in the descents, situations in which the vehicle is not restricted at 25 km / h.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/02/19, 12:50

This 25km / h limit is supposed to be safe: it is not because, as you just said, a bike can go much faster than that ... and without any particular risk, provided you stay within reason!

When I was a teenager in downhill and mountain biking (on the road) I remember having exceeded 65 km / h ... there it started to guide but it was with mountain bike tires and in a big downhill! : Cheesy:

A road bike could very well go at 40-45 km / h without much increase in risk ... provided you have a good braking system: 2 discs, not even hydraulic, should be suitable!

This measure, this 25 km / h clamping, is above all there to protect the existing automobile market and the income that results from it (deaths from pollution ... they are trying to make you believe)! Hence my remark on the non-homologation of these "ORNI" ...

Alternative solutions to the scam of the private car, like the 2 that I just posted, there are hundreds ... and not only in the drawers ... but none are currently marketed (at least in Europe) !!

Well I have one in my garage in preparation! : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 05/02/19, 13:05

The danger would increase if the maximum possible speeds under certain conditions could be reached permanently, if only because of the fragility faced with an unforeseen obstacle, such as a pothole or a branch on the road which is not visible. that at the last moment ... The limitation of the speed of assisted propulsion seems to me a guarantee against a too restrictive legislation on other points and I am not sure that it would be a winner ...
In my opinion, to make the bicycle a vehicle that can be used as a substitute for the automobile for a large part of the needs, it is imperative to have a correct radius of action * in distance and time and to have protection against effective rain.

* Which only applies to medium journeys, of course, if not reinvent the car ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/02/19, 13:19

Ahmed wrote:In my opinion, to make the bicycle a vehicle that can be used as a substitute for the automobile for a large part of the needs, it is imperative to have a correct radius of action * in distance and time and to have protection against effective rain.

Yes and that seems to be the case with the Raht Racer * no?

You have to add to your specifications an "acceptable" speed because 25 km / h in the city for a covered vehicle, therefore taking the place of a car on the road, that's too little! Source of congestion and nervousness "behind" ... going to 45 km / h (car without a license) is a possibility ...

* a pity that it is, obviously, single-seater ... therefore rather intended for leisure ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 05/02/19, 15:40

If people get mad at them, it's because they are going too fast ... 8)
The single-seater side corresponds to the usual use and difficult to add a lot of features little used on an ultra light vehicle ...
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 05/02/19, 17:02

Christophe wrote:
This measure, this 25 km / h clamping, is above all there to protect the existing automobile market and the income that results from it (deaths from pollution ... they are trying to make you believe)! Hence my remark on the non-homologation of these "ORNI" ...

We can easily unbridled! :)
It is true that a road bike with unbridled VAE becomes a real competitor to the automobile!
For an athlete it is then possible to drive between 45/50 km / h! 8)
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/02/19, 17:15

Disagree: a 250W engine will remain an engine of 250W ... After we can modify them to change the engine (kits exist) ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 05/02/19, 17:22

Of course, the power does not change following a "unlock", but the engine continues to "push" beyond the administrative limit of 25 km / h.
0 x