Let's test the competition in transport in Ile-de-France

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Rabelaisian
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Let's test the competition in transport in Ile-de-France

by Rabelaisian » 22/08/08, 23:38

This text has been posted in various forums since March 2002. The novelty is that it may be necessary to set a duration for the experiment, five or ten years, at the end of which lessons will be learned, the situation created by this experience becoming the reference situation. .

On the one hand, there are supporters of maintaining the current situation of "monopoly" of the RATP and the SNCF in the central zone, which promise the worst horrors in the event of competition or privatization. On the other hand, the liberals take little interest in the issue, either they advocate privatization, or they have "Libertarian" type reactions where the only thing that matters is bringing the unions into line.

I dispute the premise that "it would be better if it was
private. ”It might be different, but other disadvantages would replace the current ones.

Part of the aberrations (1) of the RATP is due to the fact that the
public has no benchmarks. To explain my position, I make a comparison with the advice given to people who treasure an old dog near its end, namely not to wait for his death to welcome a young dog, but to take the young dog now, to keep company with the old, which makes him exercise and prolongs his life.

I think it is possible that the RATP values ​​its good sides by being subject to competition with a homeopathic dose. I see this competition in two forms:

1 - define an area in which experimental competition
English-style total will not cause harmful damage to users while stimulating the RATP and SNCF. From a certain distance from Paris, Thatcher-style competition risks destroying the efforts of local authorities and carriers.

This is why I propose that this area consists of Paris, the
neighboring municipalities, including Bois de Boulogne and Bois de Vincennes, and those served by the urban metro, the latter condition allowing the extension in this service area currently ending at the metro terminals.

This area is dense enough that the ups and downs of the introduction of new services do not cause too much damage, it offers the political advantage of containing almost the entire political spectrum, so to see after the protests of use how municipalities of different colors will eventually enter into agreements with other carriers to improve the service to their territory.

2 - Outside this zone, to use a case law of the STP (2) (now STIF (3)), not currently applied, allowing to create lines competing with routes operated by existing carriers, provided that the new inbound compensates incumbent carriers for the traffic it takes from them. If this measure is sometimes similar to a bonus for incompetence, it has the advantage of allowing the creation of new services without penalizing the existing one, the new entrant being able to bet that he will make a good deal, even in compensating the carriers in place, one of the elements of the bet that may be that it will make enough profit, and that eventually the addition of its offer will bring new travelers to the carriers "in competition", therefore to reduce
compensation, or even reduce it to zero. I know enough
"niches" where this bet is playable.

Under the leadership of STIF, to distribute card receipts
oranges and the like, we know more and more precisely the
frequentation of lines. The introduction of new
perception, electronic payment, contactless passes, etc. will facilitate this knowledge.

(1) Example: the terminus at the Porte de Bagnolet of the extension of 57 (Arcueil - Gare de Lyon) while with a few hundred more meters, it went to the Gallieni bus station, in Bagnolet, to connect to several lines suburban...
Another example at Château de Vincennes, the arrangement of share and
on the other, a busy national road with two buses (114 and 210) with 8 stops in common in the Bois de Vincennes, Nogent and Le Perreux ...

(2) Parisian transport union

(3) Ile-de-France transport union

A map of Velib 'stations in the suburbs:
(Source: Le Parisien, MonPuteaux.com) it is also (almost) the map of the territory of experimental deregulation, we must add the cities served by the urban metro that leave this territory

0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."