Lift the max speed on highway

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 22/05/06, 21:59

Knut wrote:Precisely above 100 km / h? I not know this one!

also below, but the rolling resistance, which is almost constant whatever the speed, is then preponderant.

The speed at which air resistance becomes predominant changes from one car to another. We are used to taking 100 km / h, but I admit that I have never seen any justification.
0 x
Knut
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Knut » 22/05/06, 22:26

So we agree for the theory ... let's forget the fateful 100 km / h.

I know a physical barrier, that of 200km / l, where the temperature is supposed to go up, because of the friction of the air ... finally.

You see, between a road gorges designed to trace on the highway and a small city car for example, there is, in patique, the following paradox.

The city car will become super greedy on the highway, while the road will become on the contrary, very economical.

For example, the VOLVO 245 B230F, a 2.3 Lh jetronic, beats its record of low consumption at 160 km / h on the highway ... or 9L ... (8.887 on the last reading), while in cushy driving, does a little more ... 9.5L being a maximum, loaded or not, towing or not ...

We never do a city, but I think we would tease the 15/20 L depending on the density of the traffic jams.

What matters, in my personal opinion, to me and which I do not impose on anyone : Mrgreen: is choosing the vehicle that suits your road activity.

On foot or by bike as soon as you can ...
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 23/05/06, 02:00

Hello Knut
When I was your age I had a similar reason (I guess you are a young man) because I thought
that everyone on the road had my visual and reflex skills as an aerobatic driver, although the speed was not limited and that the cars we had at that time were very powerful, too powerful for their handling and brake.
But on the road you have to make an average of the drivers, there are all types of walker, of Sunday, commercial user, and restrained who walks, that their reflexes have diminished it does not take care to be stuck close, it does can no longer assess the speed of the racing car in the rearview mirror, they have a sore neck when you have to turn your head, they no longer like to ride in city traffic, their night vision fields decrease, this has decreased for me 50 years old (before I could land a plane at night on an unlit earth runway) but you have to get used to it. Me too I thought like you if your abilities decrease no longer rolls, but rolling a car does not require the skills of a fighter pilot, moreover at 30 years old they are too old and airline pilots at 60 years mandatory retirement . but the old people also have the right to ride.
It is relatively easy to drive at 180kmh on a highway, with current cars, but not for everyone for certain it exceeds their capacity to have cars at 200kmh which move around them.

Even if you go to war against the speed limit, nothing will change it I am convinced that it will not take many years for most European countries to limit you first to 110kmh and then it will be like all of America .
60 miles or 100 km / h, when the government realizes the source of income that this brings to the police it will no longer be able to
do without.
Their method they are tolerated for a certain time 120kmh and 130kmh it lets traffic do, one fine morning when we have acquired these habits, it is there radar hidden under a viaduct and going to the checkout, it is not for security reasons (right highway not a cat in front or in the back, car which is only 1/3 of its power) but it replenishes the state coffers.
They recently started putting a speed limit for snowmobiles (on trails not on lakes) there are some that exceed 200kmh.
Finally if you like speed, you will calm down like me by aging, although from time to time when everything is clear nothing in front or back I still open the machine (an excuse to heat the panton reactor).

Andre
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 23/05/06, 11:06

PITMIX wrote:Hello
To pick up a word about the man who is not a machine, during a little spitch of road safety when I was in high school the guy told us that the man is physically not made for exceed 40km / h.
In terms of the resistance body by impact and reflex and speed term.
It leaves thinker.
This type of reasoning, in terms of speed of reflex, is above all based on "evolutionary" principles which consider that the technical environment of man (ie from the first "complex" tools) has evolved a lot faster than its biological basis.

Basically, that means that, as the human being is not able to exceed 40 km / h on his own, he is also not able to handle situations that exceed this speed ...

It is not uninteresting but it is a bit simplistic in my opinion.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 23/05/06, 11:19

Knut wrote:[...] For example, the VOLVO 245 B230F, either a 2.3 Lh jetronic, beats its record of low consumption at 160 km / h on the highway ... or 9L ... (8.887 at the last reading), while in cushy driving, we do a little more ... 9.5L being a maximum, loaded or not, towing or not ... [...]
But of course ! : Lol: : Mrgreen: 8)

So basically, you tell us without flinching that your big Volvo (antediluvian) in the freezer Cx consumes less by towing a caravan at 160 km / h on the highway than empty at 100 km / h ...

Who the hell are you kidding?

I know that it is the biggest bullshit said with the most applomb who pass the best but still ... : roll:
0 x
Sebi
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Sebi » 23/05/06, 12:53

Woodcutter wrote:
Knut wrote:[...] For example, the VOLVO 245 B230F, either a 2.3 Lh jetronic, beats its record of low consumption at 160 km / h on the highway ... or 9L ... (8.887 at the last reading), while in cushy driving, we do a little more ... 9.5L being a maximum, loaded or not, towing or not ... [...]
But of course ! : Lol: : Mrgreen: 8)

So basically, you tell us without flinching that your big Volvo (antediluvian) in the freezer Cx consumes less by towing a caravan at 160 km / h on the highway than empty at 100 km / h ...

Who the hell are you kidding?

I know that it is the biggest bullshit said with the most applomb who pass the best but still ... : roll:

Firstly I am not sure that it is necessary to get carried away like that ... lol and second if you read more carefully, you will notice that he absolutely did not say that, he even said the opposite!
It seems plausible that it consumes less at 160 empty, than at 100 when towing. I don't see what you're upset about, but something certainly escapes me!
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 23/05/06, 13:39

SeBi wrote:[...] Firstly I am not sure that it is necessary to get carried away like that ... lol and second if you read more carefully, you will notice that he absolutely did not say that, he even said the opposite !
It seems plausible that it consumes less at 160 empty, than at 100 when towing. I don't see what you're upset about, but something certainly escapes me!
First, I do not get carried away, I put an ax: professional distortion (ask jean63 to explain ... 8) ).
Second, I read:
"[....] while in cushy driving, we do a little more ... 9.5L being a maximum, loaded or not, towing or not ... [...]"
If 9,5l is a maximum whatever the conditions, so we can assume that it also applies to the lower consumption speed 160 km / h, right? : Mrgreen:

I know, it's a demonstration by the absurd, just as absurd as these statements ... : Lol:
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 23/05/06, 22:45

well, with my 205 xad I make 6,5 L / 100, which I drive at 120 or 160, it's the same. So what Knut says doesn't seem abnormal ...
The drop in consumption, I guess it comes from the turbo, which improves engine performance when it performs well. :?:
0 x
Knut
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Knut » 23/05/06, 23:19

And yes Beaver, I do not exceed 9.5L at 160 km / h, ideal speed of the maximum torque of this torquey engine. after, I do not know, because I rarely drive a full of 65 l to more than 160 in our time, and in addition, it is my wife's car, which I rarely and always borrow for revision.

Mine is an 850 LPG, whose consumption is more difficult to pin down, full to the brim with LPG being highly random.

The on-board computer announces 14.5L at 200 km / h, but it's theoretical ... because in fact, I use more LPG.

At the right speed, at the right couple, it's like jogging ... we often tire less by going at a speed, and more by dragging. I note this on a bicycle too, I don't understand what is surprising. 1.5 million km, of which almost everything in VOLVO ... I'm used to it.

On the other hand, these machines are unfortunate for those who buy them to make the city. you shouldn't have done that!

In town, the on-board computer easily announces 20 to 35L / 100. No control at the pump, I am only very rarely there.
0 x
Knut
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Knut » 23/05/06, 23:24

FYI, the 245 to 300.000 km passed, and the 850 350.000 km. they are unbridled, and at their best. Both catalyzed.

I just relate my findings, for machines perfectly adjusted and maintained.

The rare times when I borrow a small one, a twingo the last time, the conso on roads are maddening, and on highway completely discouraging.

In town by story ... great! Personally, I find it logical.
0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."