Proportion of the embodied energy of a vehicle

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Proportion of the embodied energy of a vehicle

by elephant » 01/09/10, 13:56

I take advantage of a news launched by Touring Secours (Belgian automobile association)

http://www.lavenir.net/article/detail.a ... 100901_015

to reignite a debate.

So I ask those who know it: how much CO2 is used to make and transport a vehicle to a dealer.
To arrive at it: if I want to get rid of a vehicle X which consumes Y liters / 100 km, what reduction in consumption is necessary to compensate for the manufacture of the new vehicle?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Proportion of the gray energy of manufacturing a veh

by oiseautempete » 01/09/10, 23:19

elephant wrote:To arrive at it: if I want to get rid of a vehicle X which consumes Y liters / 100 km, what reduction in consumption is necessary to compensate for the manufacture of the new vehicle?

If you calculate like this, your old, noisy, polluting and stinking car you will systematically keep it until it falls into disrepair, unless it is an American big block V8 from the 60s and 70s that eats 25L / 100 : Lol:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/09/10, 01:17

"We" speak of 30 to 50 km traveled equivalent to the level of CO000

For more details, see: https://www.econologie.com/forums/fabricatio ... t8713.html
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 02/09/10, 08:12

OK, thank you, it advances my thinking.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Proportion of the gray energy of manufacturing a veh

by bernardd » 02/09/10, 12:44

oiseautempete wrote:
elephant wrote:To arrive at it: if I want to get rid of a vehicle X which consumes Y liters / 100 km, what reduction in consumption is necessary to compensate for the manufacture of the new vehicle?

If you calculate like this, your old, noisy, polluting and stinking car you will systematically keep it until it falls into disrepair, unless it is an American big block V8 from the 60s and 70s that eats 25L / 100 : Lol:

Stop ostrich: it is not by refusing to look that we will be able to make intelligent decisions, with full knowledge of the facts.

This is a very interesting question.

The cost of a car is:
Total Cost = Purchase Cost + Maintenance Cost + Fuel Cost + Indirect Cost

The DirectCost parameter is difficult to estimate because it represents the costs entailed by the use of a car at the level of other economic actors:
- construction and maintenance of roads and infrastructure;
- dead and injured in accidents;
- car pollution;
- deaths, injuries and pollution in the manufacture and transport of fuels;
- dead, injured and pollution in the manufacture and transport of cars and their raw materials;
- human capital, in natural and financial resources immobilized and monopolized by this activity.
It is often overlooked.

The parameters indicated have a share already spent, and a share whose expenditure will occur in the future, in a safe manner and in a manner proportional to the use.

I would suggest that it is interesting to change cars from the moment when, over the remaining lifetime, the total remaining cost of the old car will be more expensive than that of the new car?
0 x
See you soon !
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 03/09/10, 22:15

Remember to include in the indirect costs the interest on the credit contracted for the change of the car.

My green sticker catalyzed injection car consumes around 6,5L on average. And it has exceeded 260 km and passes technical control hands down because I can maintain it since it is not clad in electronics like the news.

So from the point of view of damping gray energy, the account is there.
Finally, as I do more kilometers on 2 wheels (VAE, 50cc and 500cc) than with the car (less than 10 km per year 000 km in 96 years).

So I don't see the point of taking out a loan for a big car that won't provide me with more services than the current one.
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 03/09/10, 23:23

Anyway, not everyone has the same needs ....

For example, when I see how aggressive drivers are when it is very hot, I tell myself that airco is not a luxury.

Rather, I am part of 30-40.000 km / year.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 04/09/10, 11:25

Excellent question indeed Bernardd. Question to which there is apparently no "real" answer yet. Because to make an acceptable conversion to the kWh equivalent of the "wood / oil / coal / gas" line, it is:

How much sunshine and how much vegetation was needed to produce "the tree equivalent" of a barrel of oil!

What period was necessary for microorganisms to transform everything into hydrocarbons and / or gas or even coal ...?

From there we will start to have a realistic calculation of the real price of oil on a real scale, right?
0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."