Power of a mechanical crawler (track, chase ...) VS wheels?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Power of a mechanical crawler (track, chase ...) VS wheels?

by GuyGadebois » 16/11/19, 15:22

Christophe wrote:It's not fake Ahmed!

Well, she comes this equation? : Cheesy:

Already how do we normalize a caterpillar?

Can it help you?
http://www.arconcept.com/vahl-840-2.html
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/11/19, 15:30

Uh thank you Guy but where is the caterpillar?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/11/19, 15:30

0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 16/11/19, 15:33

Christophe wrote:To win 1 year or 2 technical control on the shock absorbers or kneecaps or suspension arm, just lower the pressure of its tires to 1.0-1,5 bars ... In Belgium the test of arms and kneecap is particularly destructive! It is a torture of the mechanics (they make lateral and longitudinal movements of the tire of about 10 cm), conditions that do not arrive on road in normal driving!

But it is true that there are armored potholes in Belgium! : Evil:

The "mechanical torture" you quote is the daily life of vehicle suspension components. You forget the kinetic energy which is only simulated during the technical control tests.

By lowering the tire pressure, we increase consumption because they dissipate energy, and it is the tires that heat up ...
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/11/19, 15:40

Ah according to him it is better than what I estimated:

The efficiency of the transmission and that of the tracks can each be estimated at 0,85. The overall yield will be n = 0,72.

We can therefore start on 30% of track losses ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/11/19, 15:54

dede2002 wrote:The "mechanical torture" you quote is the daily life of vehicle suspension components. You forget the kinetic energy which is only simulated during the technical control tests.

Driving like an idiot yes! Have you ever passed a Belgian MOT? I don't think ... in France we don't do this kind of tests (at least not before the 2019 reform ...)

Obviously the law requires to align with extreme cases (= the most stupid driver) ...

Here is a Belgian CT in 10 minutes:

We just see the train torture session! I can tell you that each control damages the triangle and other ball joint! A tire does not deform 10 cm laterally when you drive while respecting the highway code (a pothole yes it can do that) ...

Important thing the CT in Belgium is a state control (= they are civil servants = 0 possible corruption) and all the centers are the same!

And that changes a lot compared to the small arrangements possible in France! Also it's every year, not every 2 years ...

The French car park is more dilapidated than in Belgium ... it is obvious when I cross the border : Cheesy:

dede2002 wrote:By lowering the tire pressure, we increase consumption because they dissipate energy, and it is the tires that heat up ...

I never said that you shouldn't go up after the CT ... well!

I ride at + 0.2-0.4 bars of the recommended inflation! So 2,8-3.0 bars ... except on snow ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/11/19, 15:55

Ah yes and as they are civil servants, bin must wait, it is good him:

mdr
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/11/19, 15:57

Episode 2! PTDR there!

1 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 16/11/19, 16:25

Christophe wrote:[quote = "dede2002"
Driving like an idiot yes! Have you ever passed a Belgian MOT? I do not think so......
Important thing the CT in Belgium is a state control (= they are civil servants = 0 possible corruption) and all the centers are the same!

And that changes a lot compared to the small arrangements possible in France! Also it's every year, not every 2 years ...

The French car park is more dilapidated than in Belgium ... it is obvious when I cross the border : Cheesy:

Never seen a Belgian MOT, but in Switzerland it's been like that for a very long time. And here we see a lot of * old "vehicles (compulsory catalyst since 1986) in circulation, whatever their appearance *, because everyone is used to having to maintain their vehicle.

* There is also an invasion of Range-Rover and Tesla, but one does not prevent the other ...
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 16/11/19, 18:38

Christophe wrote:I am looking for power (or rather losses) a rubber crawler traction system to compare it to traditional tires (20% losses).

The parameters are (at least) total weight to move, vehicle speed, track surface in contact ... we will neglect the more complex phase of acceleration but I would like the start torque nonetheless!

Has anyone ever studied the question?

I imagine that the power depends, also (above all), the type of soil ... but we will retain a rather hard ground to simplify calculations (sand well packed for example?) ...

it's a very complex question ...

the German wikipedia indicates that the chains induce a coefficient of resistance to advancement (Rollwiderstand) of 0,045
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollwider ... zienten_cR
where car tires are 0,01 - 0,02

The chains are therefore not effective on hard floors from the point of view of resistance to advancement (but we suspected it!). Of course, multiple small rubs are added wherever the chain touches a roller or the gypsy. On hard ground, the drag resistance is around 5 times more with chains than with tires.

on the other hand, on loose soil (gravel, sand, soft earth ...), the chain does better than the tire (and sometimes much better!), because it does not sink much into it and adheres over a large area. The tire sinks and constrains it and kneads the ground locally (direct losses), and sometimes also loses all of its grip (total loss of transmission / sludge)

maybe you could find things in german literature with the words Rollwiderstand, Rollwiderstandkoeffizient Gleiskette. I also think that rubber chains and metal chains do not have the same behavior.
1 x