Modern Windship: The return of sailing ships?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Modern Windship: The return of sailing ships?

by Christophe » 04/05/06, 18:47

I had dreamed of it, they did it ... but hey it's not so "pink" ...
In 1995, the Danish Ministry for Environment and Energy has been granted funding for KEH to investigate the feasibility of using sail-assisted power to propel commercial ships.

Phase I

For Phase 1, which was finished in November 1996, a huge material of sailing and sailing-assisted ship projects 30 years was
investigated. The study envisioned a new type of sailing vessel named "Modern WindShip" with a length of about 200 m and 50,000 tonnes deadweight. The proposed WindShip was compared to conventional ships, and it was concluded that significant fuel savings, the overall transportation cost was increased by approximately 10 per cent. The report "Modern WindShips - Phase 1" was published towards the end of 1996.

Phase II

Based on the positive findings of the 1 phase, the Danish Council for Recyction and Lesser Pollution Technology has provided the Danish Environmental Protection Agency. We carried out Phase II with selected external partners - Danish Maritime Institute, Danish Meteorological Institute and Maersk Broker - and produced the following results:

An innovative rig design, with complete mechanical layout.
A new underwater hull, specifically designed for dual propulsion using both wind and diesel power.
A Velocity Prediction Program (VPP) developed specifically for the WindShip.
Extensive weather routing based on 400,000 simulated voyages with the WindShip for accurate prediction of real-life fuel consumption.
A financial feasibility study confirming that the 10% higher freight rate is necessary for the WindShip. This is one of the most important things in the world.

There is reason to believe that more technical simplification and optimization will reduce the gap between the two.

Where the weather conditions are reasonable - eg on Atlantic routes - fuel savings of about 27% can be achieved. The routes where the superior internal volume capacity (??) of the WindShip can be properly used, 50% fuel savings are possible.

This corresponds to an annual fuel saving of some 4,800 tons, which greatly reduces the likelihood of CO2, SOx and NOx emissions and makes the Windship an environmentally acceptable mode of transport.
Last edited by Christophe the 27 / 03 / 09, 13: 28, 4 edited once.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: MODERN WINDSHIP: The return of the sailing navy?

by Targol » 05/05/06, 16:28

Econology wrote:it was concluded that significant fuel savings, the overall transportation cost was increased by approximately 10 per cent.

Still a little patience, with the rarefaction of fossil energies, these 10% will soon be filled. Still, in my opinion, the best way to reduce pollutants due to transport is still to stop coming from the other side of the planet, products that could have on the spot ... but that it's another debate.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/05/06, 16:37

Targol wrote: products that we could have on the spot ...

Ben is more than finding Europeans who want to work under the same conditions (wages + hours) as the Chinese then ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 05/05/06, 16:47

Econology wrote:Ben is more than finding Europeans who want to work under the same conditions (wages + hours) as the Chinese then ...

... or so, find consumers here who are willing to pay the real price of what they buy.

The day when the maintenance costs of the transport structures (roads, airports, ports, ...) will be passed on the products that use them and use them rather than being the responsibility of the community, the local products will regain a competitiveness they would never have lost.

Hugh. Targol has spoken !!!
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
krissg29
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by krissg29 » 05/05/06, 21:53

In the same subject, there are some who do not wait for the "thing-made" to be built and who think that one is never better served than by oneself:

(published in "The Telegram" this week)

Diesel too expensive. Small foam puts the sail

Strangled by the recent bad shots, Jean-Luc Pelloquin, fisherman owner of Douarnenez for more than 15 years, has just equipped his boat "P'tit mousse" with a sail.
"About 20% savings and it's still won," he says.
Like other fishermen, Jean-Luc Pelloquin says "there is tired of the price of diesel". With this sail, he will save money. And he follows totally the trend of the time. For recently, the Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries, Dominique Bussereau asked fishermen to save energy. "That's exactly what I do," replies the Douarnenist.

700 liters of diesel per week
Coastal 10,20 meters, weighing in 20 tons, "Little Foam" burns 700 liters of diesel per week and the fuel post accounts for about 40% of costs. But luckily, "Little Foam" has a mast. The smart sailor had the idea to hang a sail. As simple as the egg of Chistophe Colomb. At relatively low cost - "in the 3.000 €" - he installed, at the front of the boat, a furling genoa "as for sailboats". And, for a week, to go on the fishing zone or return "is about 4 30 total road", Jean-Luc Pelloquin and his sailor Roger Gloaguen send the canvas. "It's easy and a few seconds is enough." The engine is still running but "with a small wind of 15 knots, I go from 2.000 revolutions / minute to 1.600 revolutions / minute for exactly the same performance".

" An example to follow "
Less consumption, less engine wear: the economy is not a sight of the mind. Jean-Luc Pelloquin believes that the facility "should be depreciated in less than a year." Bruno Claquin, the president of the local fisheries committee of Douarnenez speaks of a "very encouraging" experience. He also hopes that the minister's assistance to the efforts will not forget "this fisherman's boss who has moved his buttocks to get things done". As for Jean-Luc Pelloquin forced to "set sail", he would like to find a little more wind when he goes fishing. To save even more money and, why not, to surf on the wave. Beautiful fishing parties in perspective.
0 x
It should not be confused and ingenious engineer
Knut
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Knut » 06/05/06, 12:55

Very nice your post.

One of my cousins, now deceased from Villesse, was a fisherman in Barfleur until the 70 ... child, I was able to accompany him 3 times at sea, and discover the philosophies of the seafarers, the reason of their punctuality, their material maniaquerie, sensitive in the families of sailor.

The cousin was going out diesel, at a very precise time ... (it is played on 2 minutes, no more) then was placed at a specific place, engine broke down ... he observed the surface and the color of the water he repeated a certain current which he hastened to take ... this current prevailed over the English coast, right on the fish ... gratos ... and for the return, the same, always with the fish that free trip too ..

he held that of his father, who had it from his grandfather ..... and so on ....

He tried to transmit this knowledge can be millennial ...

In the 80 years, old snooks and their ranks did not interest many people ... myself, I did not become a fisherman boss ...

One day, if the cousin noted his combines on a piece of cloth, his scribble will be worth gold : Lol:

This is true of many things, such as the cutting of wood to the good moon and a lot of old knowledge thrown to the nettles in the aftermath of the Second World War.

Young as old in 1950, were wrong to condemn the generation of the defeated young fathers, returning the tail between the legs of the German kommandos.
Young people out of disrespect and stupidity proper to their youth, the old, because they considered themselves victors of the first world war ... and betrayed by their sons ...

Huge loss of ancestral knowledge ... which we still find traces among the little old people in the countryside ...

We learn a lot from them.

I read, on an ancient work, that the ancient mediteraneans, sailed as we know, but used a lock for the return, a sail underwater, dragged by the currents ....

We are only rediscovering past inventions.

Ask your grandfather, if he is still alive, what he saw on German farms when he was a prisoner of war.

mine saw farms heated with methane; by bell covering manure among other economic solutions génialissimes.

to recognize it at the time, was to show sympathy with the former occupant .. shorn for less than that ... it was told in private.

Are we ready to look at the amazing solutions of Germany during the war?

Or am I already a collabo evoking it? We are still there today.

If the answer is no, go see the side of the water moteurs ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Knut
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Knut » 06/05/06, 13:10

Sorry to have been so long ... : Cry:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/05/06, 13:57

Knut wrote:Sorry to have been so long ... : Cry:

Uh pkoi? I found your post fairly fair and interesting ...
0 x
krissg29
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by krissg29 » 07/05/06, 00:07

Yes, I found Knut's answer very interesting.

I also found the "paper" article:

there was another article following in the newspaper on the same subject
m ... e, I forgot to rename it with my nickname :?sorry
0 x
It should not be confused and ingenious engineer
neant
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by neant » 01/08/06, 19:26

I post this link, it is very interesting, I have not understood everything, the terms are quite technical.
For sailing enthusiasts you should find grit to grind.

http://www.jp-petit.com/Divers/Nef_Keop ... ptien4.htm
0 x