Charge a second battery while driving

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
jessle
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Charge a second battery while driving

by jessle » 07/12/07, 09:50

Let me explain.
Every 15 days I hit myself 700km by car to go to work.
My idea is to connect a second battery to an alternator, which once charged will provide me with electricity to power the lights in the house. It is true that this makes a manipulation take out the battery of the car and connect it to the light network of the house.

So your advice is often said that my ideas are far-fetched, so intelligent criticism is accepted.

please
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/12/07, 10:42

Sorry to break your idea but realized in such a simple way, it has no energy interest (on the contrary), unless you recharge this battery by recovering the energy of decelerations.

In this case it is necessary to provide a "special" system which engages with the deceleration ... in short, it is not easy to tinker ...
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 07/12/07, 10:43

hello!
and yes that's not what it costs in alternator regulator coals (search on ebay, ~ 20 to 30 €)!

caravans also use this principle, via a "coupler" which will manage the 2 batetries, depending on whether there is 1 of + charged than the other, so that they do not discharge one in the 'other: therefore already without coupler, take the same 2 if possible!

then there must be space in the engine compartment AND large cables to connect them! or several ends connected in parallel ;-)

Something that I gave to a friend, to whom I lent a computer inverter 12> 220, (which was going to be scrapped because battery out of order but that I plugged into a car battery, impeccable !! ): it therefore uses car batteries (which can be regenerated like all lead batteries http://www.nrjrealiste.fr/elec/regenacu.html )

but he lives on a slope!
so when a battery turns out to be discharged, when it starts it puts the discharged battery, it starts on a slope (no need for battery, auto-ignition in 3rd speed) and zou!
good it takes a trip anyway to recharge the battery, but:
THIS SYSTEM WORKS!
it has some 220v elements, others in 12v (low consumption bulbs in 12v exist on ebay store)
PS: he has 220 in a yurt, for hot water I intended to put a gas boiler heat exchanger (5 € in breakage) on the coolant circuit of the car (90 ° C) for l hot water instantly!

well done the shit! the brain remains intact ;-)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/12/07, 10:46

Of course it works, but how much fuel do they consume?

Then, calculate the price of the kWh "alternator" and compare it to the price of the kWh EdF ...

We must stop spreading false good ideas ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 07/12/07, 11:03

+1

or it’s because you’re really super tight and it’s your boss who pays for the fuel in your car. In any event, no energy gain : Evil:
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 07/12/07, 12:01

yeah but this is not nuclear watts on the one hand, and then it costs that slab!
no need for an EDF subscription, payment of consumption forecasts or other!

if we are talking about autonomy or isolated place!

Finally 700km to go, I say that if he uses his 100W car radio on the way, it will cost him as much as putting his headlights on if he drives at night!

the additional cost generated is zero, so I would be interested in a calculation, christophe?
when we say no gain, we must compare!

and we don't know the key factor of jessle: its expected 12v consumption ...

because what do the drivers of caravans who have autonomy say?

well on a battery can recharge on the sector, but it is not the goal here I think ...

but you did not say jessle what you intend to connect to your battery?

me on computer inverter recovered in recycling center it is 300 W which makes all the lighting of the house in low consumption!
another for computer TV and hop we recharge thanks to a wind turbine (house as long as to do and therefore profitable).

So the question: how much oil-burning equivalent (convertible to vegetable fuel equivalent) in + should you pay to turn on your 100W headlights, knowing that the battery is charged?
then discharged?
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 07/12/07, 12:14

I see that Volvo uses this process to recharge its electric motor batteries:

Finally, how many km does it take to recharge a battery?
let's put 100 km max? let's put horrible consumption 10L / 100 max? or 10L of fuel? either € 12 in diesel, or € 7 in oil? (me it's zero € because filtered restau oil)

to compare to how many hours of mains charge?
at least one night?
device consumption?

so is it wasted because electricity is not expensive enough and it is nuclear?

is it really comparable?
because ... during this time we moved!
and that is what counts, it is not to move to recharge but to use a force to recharge, like the wind but here it is a launched vehicle!

the battery of a vehicle is only used for starting, then it is the alternator which will ensure the consumption of the vehicle, it produces according to what is asked of it. it recharges a discharged battery over a certain number of km, which corresponds to a certain number of watts used.

no i reason badly?
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 07/12/07, 12:16

Christophe wrote:Sorry to break your idea but realized in such a simple way, it has no energy interest (on the contrary), unless you recharge this battery by recovering the energy of decelerations.

In this case it is necessary to provide a "special" system which engages with the deceleration ... in short, it is not easy to tinker ...

Jonule .....
Please think a little
The answer, Christophe gave it to you in bold
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 07/12/07, 12:25

In the same vein of ideas, one could imagine putting a three-way valve on the car's water circuit, and heating "50 liters of water free of charge when driving ...
The problem is that 50 liters of water is 50kg that your poor car will have to transport ... and therefore, spend energy, for this transport.
It's the same for charging a second battery ... it costs energy
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 07/12/07, 13:04

yes of course, but there it is stored and can be consumed in another way;
this is a definite advantage!
well, we can also very well take the car radio out of the car and connect it afterwards to the remote battery, I mean choosing to listen to the car radio while driving or arriving at your destination.

in any case, I would be curious to know how much this energy costs, because for me it is ball skin! negligible what.

ditto 50 liters of water is like taking a large dog by car: the additional cost is negligible!
otherwise I want to know how much it costs in fuel + to carry a dog! well?
Finally I say big dog but also a kid!
alros how much does it cost?

in my idea of ​​hot water, cold water is on site, we bring the hot engine which is, on site, we connect cold water to the exchanger inlet, and at the outlet we have hot water!
these exchangers are intended for continuous production (€ 5 in copper or stainless steel at the scrap dealer):
Finally it is not a poor car, in my case it runs free by recycling a waste, and it is not a waste: during this time we transport!

I remain convinced that we can recover energy on a vehicle, which produces a lot knowing the consumption in watts of an engine!
once recharged, the alternator may not be used ...

Finally Jessle still hasn't said what he intends to do with his busy battery?
0 x