Integration of the ecological cost into the price of transport

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Integration of the ecological cost into the price of transport

by Christophe » 08/09/08, 10:47

European ministers call for gradual integration of environmental costs of road transport

Meeting in an informal meeting in La Rochelle, European transport ministers confronted their positions on several subjects and favored only a gradual and voluntary internalisation of the environmental costs of road transport.

Dominique Bussereau, French Secretary of State for Transport, brought together during the last two days the transport ministers of the European Union as well as their counterparts from Norway, Switzerland, Morocco and Tunisia. Organized in La Rochelle, this informal council was an opportunity for the ministers to confront their positions on several topics being negotiated in the EU bodies.

Encourage initiatives in urban transport

In the perspective of the action plan on urban mobility to be published by the European Commission in the near future, the ministers stressed the need to support and encourage, at European level, all the initiatives of local and regional authorities in favor of urban transport more respectful of the environment. The creation of a resource center dedicated to this subject was mentioned. It could make it possible to share the different experiences carried out by the European authorities and to present the statistics in this field and the different legislations in force. Ministers also expressed the wish to create a European market for clean urban vehicles, they say, to help manufacturers to set new standards that can prevail at the global level.

A progressive and voluntary internalization of costs

But the ministers were mainly interested in the revision of the "Eurovignette" directive on the taxation of heavy goods vehicles for the use of certain infrastructures. In its green transport package presented last July, the European Commission proposed to include in the cost of transport the nuisance they cause.

Moue pout ... it will take taxes to offset the economic advantage of road transport ... And then there is even no serious technological alternatives in many cases then ... then tax to tax what to good? It is the consumer who will pay the bill in the end.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Integrating the ecological cost into the price of transpor

by Woodcutter » 08/09/08, 11:15

Christophe wrote:[...] then tax to tax what good? It is the consumer who will pay the bill in the end.
So what ? Isn't it normal that we pay the "real price" for goods transported over thousands of km?
The tax could perhaps be used to help less impactful transportation infrastructure ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/09/08, 11:25

Certainly conditon that they really are and in something other than ecological ineptitudes... because when I see the econological cost and especially the poor results of piggybacking allow me to doubt: it will be used when there will be more oil, so truck ...

How to impose an ecological solution that present only economic disadvantage? It's the opposite of econology that! But that's what he's doing now ...

At the same time: how much has been invested in water doping in governments? Not a copec ... then hypocrisy ...
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 08/09/08, 11:35

I think we must distinguish 2 things in this little article (source?):

- road transport over medium and long distance. Christophe, you talk about alternatives: they are not so much technological as they are structural. The real alternative is to bring together the places of production and the places of consumption of the commodity. There is also less recourse to "just-in-time" management.

- urban transport (apparently their main concern): I think that in fact it should be translated by "toll at the entrance of cities"
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 08/09/08, 11:45

Christophe wrote:[...] because when I see the econological cost and especially the poor results of piggybacking allow me to doubt: it will be used when there will be more oil, so truck ... [...]
What are the reasons for these results?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/09/08, 11:48

Too expensive, too slow ... if the too expensive can be compensated "quickly" by a rise in oil the too slow I see it wrong ...

Even though the carrier lobby is powerful enough not to pay the right price ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 08/09/08, 11:58

Christophe wrote:Too expensive, too slow ... if the too expensive can be compensated "quickly" by a rise in oil the too slow I see it wrong ...

Even though the carrier lobby is powerful enough not to pay the right price ...
The "too slow" is only linked to the drift of our consumer society ...

The "too expensive" ... well that's exactly the subject of your article! It is not "too expensive" in absolute value, it is just "more expensive" than the truck, because the latter does not pay the true price of its impact ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/09/08, 12:17

1) Toutafé: consume less and better and there will be less truck on the roads. Everything is there ... take the problem at the source but have you ever seen a politician talk about "consuming less", even consuming "better" they dare to say it only lip service !!.

We prefer to "invest" (for whom? A few shareholders?) Billions to penetrate the Alps through and through rather than developing local production lines (which eventually create more local wealth!) and then we say: must tax ...

There's one BIG PARADOX In all of this...

2) For the price, I'm waiting to see what they will do to make the policies.

I think they are forgetting "a little" the economic lobbies ... I am not talking about the bad oil companies (blablababla) but the truckers who block a country to obtain subsidies on fuel.

How do you want to pay for energy at its fair price in such a selfish context?

But energy is not everything is also the human cost of transport, we already see a lot of Polish on the roads ... tomorrow it will be Ukrainian?
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 08/09/08, 13:27

Our society is constantly in the short term with the impression that there is more solution than the flight ahead. See what happens when it is suggested to fishermen to stop shooting themselves in the foot with overexploitation of resources. It is not difficult to understand that if we fish all the fish, there are no more fish .... But no, the credits, the charges, the habit, the kids, the waiting lists at the anpe make them prefer to reassure themselves by burning tires in groups and denying the real causes of the problem; in the end, we can not blame them. And we do not offer them an alternative.

And it is not about to stop. I heard a radio columnist who pointed out that for decades the main concern of the French was employment. All political life revolved around this theme. Suddenly, for a little over a year, their main worry has been "PURCHASING POWER".
This is not trivial because we went from a state of citizenship (work, socialization) and a state of CONSUMER (Ouch, I will have to lower my gsm package: will I be able to survive this blow of the spell?)
It follows that the latest decisions of the government are "to increase the surface and the number of hypermarkets", "to facilitate hypercompetition", "to increase the number of hard discounters". Even the installation by a supermarket of 100% automatic checkouts is presented as "a solution for purchasing power".
NO, NO and NO: all this only serves to create even more unemployed people! What every human needs is a job that allows him to live with dignity and respect, no plastic gadget from Lidl.

The transportation problem is crucial in the sense that it is not just an environmental issue; it touches the very foundations of our society. Ladies and gentlemen, even you who have nothing to do with ecology, open your eyes. When Europe is no more than a motorway network lined with automatic supermarkets and everyone will be unemployed and there will be more activity to finance it, how will you pay for your small car and go to your favorite hard-dicounter?
0 x
avygel
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by avygel » 08/09/08, 16:27

Life is hard for everyone (or almost), I think this is what politicians fail to integrate and the personal interests of everyone will always go before the interests of the nation and / or the world (he yes it's like that in real life, it's not a dream here).

Whatever happens and whatever they do, there will always be dissatisfied people who will complain and it is surely not by raising the taxes that it will get better. All that will be gained is a massive blockage of the country by the truckers who will piss off all individuals who want to go to work.

Go, with a little luck, it will fall on the same day as one of the many SNCF strikes as it will stay with us ^^

I'm joking a little but the subject is really serious, one day, people will have more than enough and that day it will do very badly to our leaders.

0 x