The GreenBox trap pollution: CO2, NOx?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

The GreenBox trap pollution: CO2, NOx?

by Christophe » 09/08/07, 04:31

According to Reuters.

Against CO2 emissions from cars, Toyota has invested in hybrid gasoline-electric technology, Ford, Saab and Volvo have bet on biofuels, while BMW and Honda are developing the hydrogen fuel cell. What if the solution to the problem was in a simple box?

Three Wales researchers designed a miracle case capable of capture greenhouse gases responsible for global warming, such as carbon dioxide or nitrous oxide. This "Greenbox" is installed in theory instead of the exhaust of cars, but also coaches, buses and trucks. The device can also be used in heavy industry and in power plants.

Once captured, the carbon dioxide "can be transported and released in a controlled environment," Ian Houston, engineer of the trio, told Reuters. The content is then used to feed genetically modified algae. These can then be ground to produce biofuels that can be used by flexi-fuel cars.

They estimate that 400 hectares of algae cultivation would be sufficient to treat all the emissions produced by all cars in Great Britain.

Over the past two years, the three researchers have tested the Greenbox 130 times, with a capture rate between 85 and 95%. Their next step: reduce the size of the case to make it compatible with all models of passenger cars. Toyota and General Motors, the top two car producers in the world, may be interested in this invention.

http://www.checkbiotech.org/green_News_ ... foId=15167
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007 ... tion=world

Seems a bit "fat" to me and you? Especially the capture of CO2 ... Finally, if it is real and cheap, we have solved part of the greenhouse effect problem ...
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 09/08/07, 09:00

Hello,

Capturing CO² has never been a problem ...
I have lived for three hundred times three to three hours in a sphere of 15 meters in diameter and CO² has never bothered us ...
But after we put everything in the sea (it's not beautiful !!) but it was thirty years ago !!!
The problem is to know how to recover CO² and regenerate the trap economically speaking.

Obelix
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/08/07, 12:07

Uh I do not think that a sphere of 2 m in diameter can be easily integrated on a vehicle ...

And a vehicle produces a lot of CO2 (more than 2,3 kg / Liter of fuel consumed) ... hence my skepticism ... if 95% of the CO2 is "captured" that would mean that at each refueling, say 30 L, it is 69 kg of CO2 to "empty" with each filling ... It is still acceptable after all ...

But the capture-solidification of CO2 in carbonnates, for example, requires a "gas plant" (no pun intended) ...
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 10/12/07, 21:37

Their device must fit in a trailer in my opinion ... : Shock:
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 11/12/07, 17:10

Once captured, carbon dioxide "can be transported and released into a controlled environment"

It reminds me of an excellent Franquin gag where Gaston Lagaffe had imagined connecting a huge balloon (red) to the exhaust pipe of his famous car
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 11/12/07, 20:41

elephant wrote:It reminds me of an excellent Franquin gag where Gaston Lagaffe had imagined connecting a huge balloon (red) to the exhaust pipe of his famous car

I also remember !!!
When he empties his balloon, he poisons everyone !!! : Lol:
0 x
Jon1980
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Jon1980 » 02/10/08, 11:26

I dig up the subject a bit (I'm new and I'm browsing the forum). The lightest solution I know of to capture CO2 is the use of lithium hydroxide (use in space shuttles).
The reaction is as follows:
2LiOH + CO2 -> Li2CO3 + H2O
If we consider that a liter of gasoline produces 2.3kg of CO2 (thank you Christophe for the data). To capture the CO2 produced by 50 L of petrol (i.e. 115 kg of CO2), 167.27 kg of lithium hydroxide are required. This will give 230kg of Li2CO3 and 52.27kg of water. It is a significant weight I think ...
After, I don't really know what we do with Li2CO3 I think we can transform it into calcium carbonate to reform LiOH.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/10/08, 11:37

Ah thanks for the info (twice) :)

In my opinion the problem of mass is much less important than that of the (econological) cost of lithium hydroxide... and Li2CO3 ...
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 02/10/08, 12:49

And lime water, would it work?
0 x
Jon1980
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Jon1980 » 03/10/08, 11:15

Gregconstruct wrote:And lime water, would it work?

Answer to be taken with a grain of salt (and therefore to be verified). Indeed we can capture CO2 with lime water (i.e. solid Ca (OH) 2 dissolved in water) to form CaCO3 according to the reaction Ca (OH) 2 + CO2 -> CaCO3 + H2O. However, it seems to me that the solubility of Ca (OH) 2 in water is of the order of 10-2 mol / L so to capture the CO2 from the combustion of 50L gasoline would require a considerable volume. To check anyway because I am not completely on my assertions.
Bonne journée.
0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."