Diesel particulate filter: effective?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Diesel particulate filter: effective?

by martien007 » 29/05/08, 01:11

Found in a forum "auto":

For me the particle filter is a decoy because even if they are retained for a time, they are well burnt at one time or another ...
Did someone measure the pollution at that time ???

I have already done regeneration of FAP which is precarious in the maintenance of the vehicle ... (I teach auto mechanics) and well it is better not to be behind; in 10min it is a year of stored pollution which leaves !!!

By aging a diesel engine will pollute more than a petrol or LPG engine

Then the cost of bad surprises of the new diesel is quite frightening, and the Fap is to be replaced around 120000 km ...

For electric cars you have to take into account the cost and pollution when replacing the batteries because we have not yet invented eco-friendly batteries !!!

So it's all well and good but you have to weigh everything in the balance ... Before saying this is better than that

Can anyone confirm or contradict these disturbing statements?
0 x
tigrou_838
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

particle filter

by tigrou_838 » 29/05/08, 08:53

hello, look on the site of jonule, there is a very good article on the particle filter, especially the pollution due to the cleaning product.

tigrou
0 x
tigrou_838
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

particle filter

by tigrou_838 » 29/05/08, 09:08

0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: particle filter

by martien007 » 29/05/08, 10:43

tigrou_838 wrote:look also at:

www.econologie.com/filtre-a-particle- ... s-406.html

tigrou : Mrgreen:

OK thank you, that confirms what this guy says:

It is a product from rare earth (cerium or Ce, cerine is the Cerium oxide of formula CeO2) linked by a petrochemical product (Rhodia).
It is probably quite dangerous to handle pure seen the protections required by the maintenance technicians. Moreover this product is quite expensive and recess the responsibility of the driver when maintenance of the vehicle.

In addition, some foreign studies have shown that these filters actually release finer particles, which are much more dangerous for humans because they are invisible and pass more easily through the blood. The largest particles are stopped by our biological filter (mucous membranes, hairs ...)
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 03/06/08, 22:33

In theory, a FAP retains a certain% age of the particles, whatever their size.

The "filter regeneration"(thus the burning of the particles) produces gaseous compounds, very regularly and in a completely automatic way (approximately every 500 km) and completely" transparent "for the driver.

It is not because people tell anything on the Net, under cover of professional capacities (Hello the credibility of a teacher who tells such bullshit !!! : Shock: ) that this is necessarily true ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/06/08, 23:20

Woodcutter wrote:The "filter regeneration"(thus the burning of the particles) produces gaseous compounds, very regularly and in a completely automatic way (approximately every 500 km) and completely" transparent "for the driver.

False, it is not "very" regularly ... a certain engine load is needed for the regeneration cycle to start "."

Thus the car of madam (without picture) which makes 100% of city or inter-urban and which never goes up in load has very little chance of being regenerated correctly. So the FAP is only a particle trap and they will end up clogging the pot and hop € 1000 change every 50 to 60km.

For the remark at the origin of this subject: I confirm yes and I am still quite surprised by the plumes of black smoke that we can still see at acceleration behind the new hdi equipped with FAP as standard ...

We just bought a new diesel equipped with fap and the pot is already slightly black after 3000 km ... so frankly I doubt ...
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 04/06/08, 00:10

For the remark at the origin of this subject: I confirm yes and I am still quite surprised by the plumes of black smoke that we can still see at acceleration behind the new hdi equipped with FAP as standard ...

We just bought a new diesel equipped with fap and the pot is already slightly black after 3000 km ... so frankly I doubt ...

I have also noticed and on certain "auto" sites it seems that the cause is due to a blockage of the EGR valve, a fairly common failure on certain vehicles.

The plume of black smoke I have also seen coming out of recent Hdi vehicles on the highway, at the rate of acceleration or deceleration speed.

I am not competent therefore on nothing, simply astonished.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 04/06/08, 00:24

Christophe wrote:
Woodcutter wrote:The "filter regeneration"(thus the burning of the particles) produces gaseous compounds, very regularly and in a completely automatic way (approximately every 500 km) and completely" transparent "for the driver.

False, it is not "very" regularly ... a certain engine load is needed for the regeneration cycle to start "."

Thus the car of madam (without picture) which makes 100% of city or inter-urban and which never goes up in load has very little chance of being regenerated correctly.
It is designed so that a simple journey at 90 km / h over a few kilometers may suffice.
If you never do interurban with expressways, it is very silly to buy fuel oil ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/06/08, 00:28

Uh ... yes but no because for example the C1 hdi fap is an urban car par "excellence" ... This is at least the commercial argument of the citroën advertising campaign ...

70% of new vehicles in France are diesel, right? And 2/3 of the life of a vehicle is spent in town or peri-urban. You count ...

But hey it may change fissa since diesel is the same price as gasoline ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 04/06/08, 00:53

Christophe wrote:Uh ... yes but no because for example the C1 hdi fap is an urban car par "excellence" ... This is at least the commercial argument of the citroën advertising campaign ...

70% of new vehicles in France are diesel, right? And 2/3 of the life of a vehicle is spent in town or peri-urban. You count ...

But hey it may change fissa since diesel is the same price as gasoline ... : Mrgreen:
I'm not sure that the C1 and its two sisters are "fapable" ... :?

It is not because consumers are oxen that what they do is not stupid ...

Finally ... a priori even PSA the king of Diesel is changing his rifle for small engines! (is it the Euro6 effect?)
0 x