Time for Airbus! A310 crash at sea

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Time for Airbus! A310 crash at sea

by Christophe » 30/06/09, 09:59

After the Rio A330 crashed a few weeks ago, an A310 crash at sea apparently also due to bad weather ... is global warming behind this?

Airbus A310 crashes off Comoros with 66 French on board NOUVELOBS.COM | 30.06.2009-09-52 | XNUMX:XNUMX

Of the 153 passengers on the Yemenia Air flight, 66 are said to be French, the others Comorians. The emergency services spotted several bodies and the cabin of the Airbus. "Speedboats and ships from the Comoros and Madagascar are participating in the search," said an official.

An Airbus A310 of the national company Yemenia Air bound for the Comoros was damaged at sea, from Monday to Tuesday, off this archipelago of the Indian Ocean, announced Tuesday June 30 an airport manager Yemeni. Bodies were spotted by the emergency services and the Comorian authorities flew over the cabin of the plane.

There were 153 people on board, including 66 French and Comorians: 142 passengers and 11 crew members. Among these passengers, 61 people boarded the plane in Marseille, mainly Comorian families returning to the country. A total of 78 people took their places during the stopover at Marignane airport (Bouches-du-Rhône).
Sixty-one of them were to continue the journey to the Comoros and had to take their place in the A310, departing from the Yemeni capital for Djibouti and then Moroni, where it was to land on Tuesday at 01:00 (Paris time).

Bad weather

The Secretary of State for Transport, Dominique Bussereau indicated on Europe 1 that bad weather was perhaps at the origin of the disappearance of the Airbus. He added that France would be "involved" in the investigation.
"We are talking about an approach, a go-around and then a new approach that would have been missed," he detailed. "For now, we must be careful, as long as all this information is not verified," said the Secretary of State.
"Perhaps France will also be associated with the investigation", he added, in particular "if there are compatriots on board", which is "certainly" the case.

The director of Moroni International Airport also told AFP of "unfavorable weather conditions" at the time of the plane's landing. “The plane was expected at 22:30 pm. Before it landed, the control tower lost communication with the crew. The weather conditions were unfavorable with strong gusts of wind,” said Hadji Mmadi Ali.

http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/actualit ... _pers.html
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 30/06/09, 11:14

As much in the case of the Air France A330, it is unlikely that the crash came from a lack of maintenance of the aircraft, as much I would not say the same for this one.

I have a cousin in the aero industry who worked for a long time to do the "checks" (technical controls) of planes.

He told me that, if in the texts, the controls are equivalent for all the companies, in the facts (as for the boats - cf Erika) the seriousness of the control depends largely on the price which wants to put the company and the time that 'she accepts to see her plane nailed to the ground.

Thus, a "check" which, at Air France (or other large Western company) will last 10 days will be reduced to 3 for some unscrupulous companies or without large means.

Little anecdote to illustrate:
My cousin is led to do the PSU test (the masks that fall from the ceiling in the event of depressurization) on a plane of a Ukrainian company or of the same style.
60% of PSUs are faulty

His boss told him to still stamp the check as valid with the following arguments: "anyway, this zinc is so rotten that in case of depression, they are all dead"

and I'm not talking about the holes in the cabins clogged with scotch tape and camouflaged with a paint job, etc ...

In short, do not be fooled: the plane is potentially dangerous but some are probably more so than others ...
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 30/06/09, 14:40

When accidents happen elsewhere, it's because they hurt things (this Yemenite plane, trains in England, etc ...)
When it happens on a French "heritage", it's bad luck ...

It's possible ... But I ask to see ...
The A330 had just been overhauled. Maybe a part was badly reassembled ... (a speed measurement probe, at random)
(Often, it seems to me, when an airplane falls when it has just been overhauled, the breakdown comes from overhaul ...)
0 x
Solar Production + VE + VAE = short cycle electricity
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 30/06/09, 16:10

indy49 wrote:When accidents happen elsewhere, it's because they hurt things (this Yemenite plane, trains in England, etc ...)
When it happens on a French "heritage", it's bad luck ...

Be careful, don't make me say what I didn't say. I am very far from being chauvinistic.

I clearly specified "at Air France (or other large western company)"but it was not to scold the" filth of the poor "as Gabin would have said in the crossing of Paris.

It was just to say that, if the same ticket could go from simple to triple from one company to another, on the same flight, the expenses had to be severely cut in one of the cases.

When you know that an aircraft immobilized on the ground can cause operating losses of several hundred thousand euros per day of immobilization, it can be tempting for low-cost and / or charter companies to do their checks with less careful auditors.

Furthermore, this remark was based on real experience of the situation: at the time when my cousin was doing this job, he had made his own blacklist of companies to avoid based on what he could see from the quality of the controls. It turns out that there were only African companies, from the former Eastern bloc and other "poor" countries in it. It wasn't me who invented it.

indy49 wrote:Maybe a part was badly reassembled ... (a speed measurement probe, at random)

Perhaps there was a problem during the check, we will probably never know. On the other hand, what is whispered in aeronautical circles is that the picot probes (potentially at the origin of the crash) have a design defect (therefore nothing to do with a revision) which would cause them to decant in some particularly difficult weather.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
gentil33
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Duck

by gentil33 » 30/06/09, 16:21

According to the Duck chain of last week, as far as the Airbus A330 is concerned, the probes are at issue. It was the old models that tend to frost easily. Moreover, still according to the Duck, during its flight the airbus had automatically transmitted alarming information, and, following this, the team of technicians was waiting for it to land in Paris to change it ... . too late !
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 30/06/09, 16:31

Targol wrote:Be careful, don't make me say what I didn't say. I am very far from being chauvinistic.

I didn't see it as chauvinism at all.
Sorry if I was able to mislead readers.

Targol wrote:Perhaps there was a problem during the check, we will probably never know. On the other hand, what is whispered in aeronautical circles is that the picot probes (potentially at the origin of the crash) have a design defect (therefore nothing to do with a revision) which would cause them to decant in some particularly difficult weather.

That may indeed be it (we hear a lot about it), but let's not neglect the revision, and that, we don't say it: we were just told that it had just been revised by implying that 'it was well maintained, but the possibility of a revision error was never mentioned. It is however an equally probable case (in my very humble opinion). Despite the security measures, a screw is quickly lost (you only have to compare a car before and after going to the mechanic :D
Here, an example from gliding: the wings had been replaced ... but not fixed! Fortunately there is a pre-flight checklist if not, it was the catamaran insured!
0 x
Solar Production + VE + VAE = short cycle electricity
Flytox

by Flytox » 30/06/09, 19:04

Hello Targol
Perhaps there was a problem during the check, we will probably never know. On the other hand, what is whispered in aeronautical circles is that the picot probes (potentially at the origin of the crash) have a design defect (therefore nothing to do with a revision) which would cause them to decant in some particularly difficult weather.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_de_Pitot

In the Mont St Odile disaster, there was talk of an altimeter problem, here it is the Pitot tube. Apparently it is difficult to trust the pilot's felling when the instruments bring back erroneous data. :frown:

Indeed, Targol, I have also heard a number of horrors about the way its overhauled certain cabins and engines .... Never take a purely African aviation company among others .... unless you are suicide candidate ...
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
gentil33
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

instrument flight

by gentil33 » 30/06/09, 19:18

Be aware that there are two types of theft. VFR or visual flight and IFR instrument flight.

In IFR, when the weather conditions are bad or when it is dark, the windshield is useless, because you see absolutely nothing outside, there are only the instruments, nothing else. And concerning the speed, if you are without an instrument, you absolutely cannot use the sensations of your body to estimate the speed. The days of grandpa bolington are long gone.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 30/06/09, 19:57

It would seem that the hypothesis of the trash plane is confirmed for this case there: the plane which crashed was prohibited from overflight and stopover in France for more than 2 years.
0 x
wirbelwind262
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by wirbelwind262 » 30/06/09, 21:12

Bonsoir
a small link on flight AF447
http://www.eurocockpit.com/
to have !
Good evening
0 x