Technical debate on diesel engines

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 08/03/13, 21:11

specify a little better where is your mayonaise? in oil or in water?

at first we thought you had mayonnaise in the oil, so visible on the oil dipstick and the oil filler cap

but when you talk about mayonaise in the hoses? we rather think of water hoses
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 08/03/13, 21:27

I'll take the time to take pictures ... it's not my car.

but, there is no burnt cylinder head gasket, no bubble in the expansion tank but mayo up to the bottom of the level control rod ... a priori there is a circuit of carburetor heating, I admit that on this one with an electronic injection I do not capture much ... what hose my friend told me about? I didn't even ask him in fact, it's very silly on my part but that's how it is ..

I will correct the tire and make a subject on it ... it will be simpler ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 10/03/13, 00:34

I just erased this message because I had not seen the cutting of the subject ... so I copied it to the place where I wanted it mettrehttps: //www.econologie.com/forums/ enco ... 28-80.html
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 10/03/13, 03:58

Hello
bidouille23 wrote:10 to 12 km is still not a short journey? with half in 4 lanes ... (free Breton highway;)) ...

and on the 4 L that I had even with small trips point of mayo, this says it is not the same technology :) lol...

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm sorry, but 10km is not enough to raise the engine oil to its temperature to evacuate the water condensations that have passed through the segments. it takes 30 km for the engine oil to heat up to 80c to 100c depending on the season.
this water and pork, fuels which each start is rich mixes with oil, its residues are acid and attacks the metals dilute the oil, make mayonaise.
On airplanes, air-cooled engines, which heat up more, a 30-minute flight is not recommended for internal engine corrosion (I have enough engine open to see rusty low cylinders on camshafts push button which are nominally sprayed with oil, they are rusted.) This is one of the reasons that these motors must be opened and rebuilt after 2000 hours or 10 years, if in 10 years they are only made 400 hours it is because they have operated by small fraction of hours.

Andre
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 10/03/13, 11:24

Bonjour,

André thank you you just killed an idea received (from whom I don't know anymore;) :) but don't care :) ).

I was making the comparison with the 4L we had, but it is true that it made journeys of the order of 10 km per way but that it also made regular journeys of the order of 170 km, so that the water had to be drained regularly ...

Anyway ok I was convinced that 10 km for petrol was enough, so I conclude that for diesel it is the same thing?

I will still ask for clarification on which hoses were full of mayo, just to answer chatelot and the very fair question he raised because of the fact that stupidly I just listened without asking more than that (very bad habit that I regularly have on certain subject, but not all ...).

So a big thank you for this learning and correction of misconceptions which have the hard life ... nobody until now had made me this correction when I said to them: "well it still makes 12 km per going this is not a short trip ... "

André if you were not there you would have to invent yourself;) ....

it is always a pleasure to read you, I learn it all the time, it is a neural delight and a training for reflection.
Thank you

Fred
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 10/03/13, 14:58

the number of km to go up in temperature depending on the size of the engine ... the very small engine heats up faster than the large engine that André sees in Canada

for aircraft engines, air cooled it is quite long because the cooling works even when the engine is cold

with water cooling there is a calorstat which completely closes the water flow, to keep all the heat in the block and only opens when the temperature is sufficient

alas nobody checks this calorstat ... if it is defective blocked open the engine stays cold too long ... if it is closed closed we notice it faster by farting a cylinder head gasket
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 10/03/13, 15:07

Hi chatelot, the calorstat I know, on diesel it is quite simple to realize it with the temperature indicator, when the needle does not rise so to speak or very little is that it is dead and permanently open, however I didn't know it could lock in the closed position : Shock: ...

I fully understand the reasoning behind the large and small engine which takes longer to heat up, it makes perfect sense.

I was making the comparison between the Meriva and the 4L because the two have the same displacement, but I also think that the 4L must have a lighter engine (I only think I'm not sure at all ...)
0 x
Other

by Other » 10/03/13, 19:40

Hello

The temperature of the engine block in summer after 5 to 6 km, depending on the pipe or the type of calorstat it is reached, but I'm talking about the temperature of the engine oil which is much slower to reach. With the exception of a few rare exceptions where there is an oil exchanger with the engine coolant, which in turn is used to heat the oil and then to cool it by keeping it slightly above the engine temperature.
Most cars only use the crankcase which acts as an oil cooler. Theoretically the ideal engine oil temperature would be around 85c. Too cold it does not lubricate the cylinders properly (Oil mist splashed from the crankshaft crankpins) and also does not evaporate the contaminants) Too hot the oil degrades, loses its properties, becomes more fluid (despite the announcements of sellers multigrade ect ..)
Multigrade oils after having heated to 120c for long periods and become contaminated, it becomes less multigrade it is thicker when cold and becomes less lubricating. (100% synthetic oil is not the miracle of technology it has its drawbacks, it is prohibited in aircraft engines, incompatible with leaded petrol or high octane additive, it attacks certain pink metal of the connecting rod axes rocker shaft timing gear ring.)
Another remark considering its capacity to resist high temperatures, the engines with high oil consumption this oil has difficulty burning on the porcelain of candle even putting candles hotter there.

Andre
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/03/13, 19:51

Andre wrote:
Multigrade oils after having heated to 120c for long periods and become contaminated, it becomes less multigrade it is thicker when cold and becomes less lubricating. (100% synthetic oil is not the miracle of technology it has its drawbacks, it is prohibited in aircraft engines, incompatible with leaded petrol or high octane additive, it attacks certain pink metal of the connecting rod axes rocker shaft timing gear ring.)

Indeed ! And that's why I replace the oil on my LPG engines while it is still clean, almost like new!
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 10/03/13, 21:00

bidouille23 wrote:Thank you fly following apart;) I made a subject :) ... quickly zef, mayonnaise is gonet even in the hoses not only on the caps ... end of the apart ...

The 1.6 I-dtec is a diesel .... :)

When the mayonnaise is uniform and everywhere in the oil circuit (check with a hot drain), it looks a lot like a broken gasket seal. Water from the cooling system is passed into the oil. Do not roll like that otherwise you will sink the rods, seize the segments etc ... kill everything what :|

If your emptying gives you a little mayonnaise-colored foam above, a lot of normal-colored oil underneath and a little bit of water underneath this may be acceptable ...

[Mode return the knife in the wound ON]
if it is found it will not break immediately .... Image
[Mode to return the knife in the wound OFF]

Finally as you say the others forumeurs, it is necessary to heat the beast to donf from time to time on the highway for enough kilometer so that it has time to evaporate all this fleet and clean the high engine which must foul ....

A little mayo in the cooling circuit can also come from the gasket but is less serious (there may also be a mom full of goodwill who has filled up ... with oil .... in the circuit cooling.: Mrgreen:

On an old car you can try an additive to seal the leaks in the cooling system, it generally works.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."