Car of the future, future of the automobile, quotes

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 21/07/08, 12:45

Chatham wrote:
Leo Maximus wrote:I imagine that the standards and crash tests will be the same for cars running on compressed hydrogen as they are for petrol cars with an almost empty tank containing an air / petrol mixture.
They will even be much more advanced (AMHA) so that we can read in the various facts: " the collision was extremely violent, all the passengers died but the 700 bar hydrogen canister is absolutely intact » : Lol:

We need much stricter standards with hydrogen because:
Even an empty gas tank (i.e. full of vapors) does not explode, (the oxygen level is too low), at least not strong enough to be really dangerous (we are not at the cinema ), on the other hand a tank (necessarily very large or / and multiple) pierced with hydrogen at 700bars (which is much more likely than the outright explosion of the tank) would form an ultra powerful jet (likely to pierce and freeze anyone is on the path) then a cloud of gas + highly flammable air which would form a fireball whose impact on the health of people around may be slightly negative ... moreover a pure hydrogen fire is almost invisible (it is only the combustion of other elements that make the flame visible).
The only tanks to withstand terrible accidents are containers of nuclear elements ... but the weight and cost of such protection is incompatible with an automobile ...

In this case, we must urgently warn Air Liquide, Honda, Peugeot, Renault, Nissan, GM, Mazda, BMW, Mercedes, etc ... that they pose immense danger to all the inhabitants of the entire planet. . 8)

I don't see how the oxygen level in the air would be different for hydrogen, it's the same. Hydrogen mixes very badly with air because it is very light, natural gas or gasoline vapors do not.
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 11/08/08, 12:23

Christophe wrote: I think that compared to energy we must obtain a cost of the H2 of liquid air 10 to 100 times that of oil at the pump !! ...

Leo Maximus wrote:I do not have the price of H2 gas per kilo, I do not sell it ... so I will send an email to Air Liquide and I will publish the answer here.

Here is the response from Bernard LLEDOS of Air Liquide.

E-mail address: bernard.lledos@airliquide.com

"Dear Sir,

First of all, sorry for the delay in responding, linked to the summer vacation periods.

To answer your question, I would quote the price targets for hydrogen at the pump formulated by economists at the DOE (Department of Energy, USA). These prices converge to $ 3 gge (gasoline equivalent gallon). This corresponds to 5 euros, excluding taxes, to travel 100 km. It is of the same order of magnitude as for fuels today: around 4 euros to cover 100 km (8l per 100 km at 1,5 euros / l, and 66% tax). Hoping to have answered your question.

Kind regards.

Bernard LLEDOS
Liquid air.
Director of Scientific Communication
"
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 12/08/08, 09:28

The 8l per 100 km, is it because he is the director, Mr Lledos? : Shock: I know you have to take older models into account, but newer engines still need a lot less fuel ...

David adv wrote on another post:
I have a velomobile boosted to 500w and I need 1kwh / 100km (i.e. 0.1 euros EDF rate per 100km or 0.1l of oil per 100km in energy).
I do more than 30km / h on average in mixed and more than 40km / h on average outside built-up areas. On my 12.5km journey, I lose at
barely 5 minutes each way from my car.

IF we take the data provided each year on the annual cost of a car, all inclusive (depreciation, insurance, etc.):
4000 euros per year for a city car, 7000 for a family car
You have to realize that a family with a car of each category and 2 salaries of 1500 net, works 30% of the time to pay for the car (36000 of income for 11 in cars), or 000h per week over 11h, or day and a half out of 35.
CA speaks to you 1 1/2 days of rest per week?

For urban and peri-urban, it always tells you to pay 50 times more expensive for 100 kilometers by driving on hydrogen rather than in assisted trikes. Because 10 cents per 100 kilometers I find that nice ...
0 x