BMW 118d named "ecological" car of the year

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/03/08, 17:50

I remind you that we already talked about it a bit on econo: eslbett motor
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Multi-fuel engines

by Chatham » 25/03/08, 17:59

Yves LUBRANIECKI wrote:But first, I think there was no "ceramic insert" in the Elsbett engine which was rather rustic. It was a demonstration pre-series and I think there are and will be cast irons capable of withstanding 750 ° without needing to resort to ceramics which are very expensive.

at the time when Elsbett proposed its engine (which had to be in gray cast iron for the reasons of temperature that you mention), all the engine manufacturers were in the process of switching to cast aluminum which does not support these high temperatures. This is due to the fact that at the time, we sought, on the one hand, to fight against weight and, on the other hand, we began to talk a lot about NOX (nitrogen oxides precursor of atmospheric ozone )

Indeed the Elsbett motor was in gray cast iron, but if I spoke about ceramic inserts it was just to point out that there is currently no economical and reliable solution to replace cast iron ...
Aluminum has been used in pistons and cylinder heads in almost all engines since the 30s (except slow working engines which sometimes had cast iron pistons), even the Citroën front-wheel drive from 1935 had a cylinder head and pistons and aluminum, only Ford and Opel still have a long time (until the end of the 70s) manufactured engines with cast iron cylinder heads (but Alu pistons), but they were very primitive engines, heavy fuel devourers and quite fragile (valve seats cut in the mass ) ...
At the end of the 60s, we started making engines whose block was also made of aluminum to lighten (ex: V6 PRV,, Renault R16, etc ...), but this sometimes poses problems due to thermal deformations and it's more expensive, that's why we preferred (for common engines) thin cast iron blocks that are barely heavier but much cheaper ...
An all-cast engine cannot, because of inertia, operate only for low revs, therefore a very poor power-to-weight ratio, which is contrary to what car manufacturers are looking for ...
However, some high-powered truck engines (over 450hp) use composite steel / aluminum pistons.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 25/03/08, 20:46

Bonjour à tous

About ceramic and diesel engine:

A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/03/08, 21:59

I see that they are listening to me :)

Christophe wrote:I think that'a specific subject to the Elsbett engine would be welcome because it is very interesting but quite far from the bmw 118d...

Otherwise I think water doping could greatly improve the flaws in the combustion of pure oil .... so that we could do without all these engine "reinforcements" ...
0 x