Bacteria that produce hydrogen

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher

Bacteria that produce hydrogen

by PITMIX » 05/11/06, 16:22

Hello
Do you know John Craig Venter?
This biologist works on bio-energetic research. More precisely, he is looking for a way to extract hydrogen from water using bacteria.
The idea is to do what is already done with in bioreactors where 100000 tonnes of organic waste / year are transformed into methane by bacteria. The power of a bio-reactor is 14MWh or 1T of waste for 200 to 320m3 of biogas.
There are many bacteria capable of doing this with water to produce hydrogen but under very complex conditions and in too low proportions (cyanobacteria, purple bacteria ...).
He continues his research to find the perfect bacteria and is even ready to fabricate it from scratch if necessary.
For that, he sequences the genomes of all the bacteria he finds in water samples taken from the water of the Sargasso Sea (Bermuda triangle).
His only ambition is to save the world, he's a mad scientist but we forgive him : Cheesy:
0 x
jlvx
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jlvx » 05/11/06, 18:31

After all, there are already bacteria that produce all the elements of bio diesel, an experiment by the University of Münster, why not the same principle to extract H2 from water?

To be continued ... :P
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 05/11/06, 20:25

For the moment it is not yet won but if the famous synthetic bacteria manage to produce hydrogen in the same proportions as those which produce methane then the world will be saved : Cheesy: and John Craig Venter the savior of the world : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
You would believe the scenario of a Hollywood production.
However, it is not a film.
A certain Steven van Ginckel even cultivated soil bacteria which he had previously selected for their qualities of hydrogen production.
These bacteria were grown in an acidic environment (ph5,5) to prevent other bacteria from growing.
After one day these starch-fed bacteria had filled the volume of the digester with 60% hydrogen and 40% CO2.
I tell you the Dolareane which rolls with banana peels and other organic waste it will exist one day :P
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/11/06, 20:42

I do not know if it is about the cyanobacterium "chlamydomonas" which is in fact an algae, but this last one still has a low yield of H2 production ...

From what I heard, researchers have a lot of hope in GMO algae to increase this yield ...

ps: do you have a link to find out more?
0 x
zac

by zac » 05/11/06, 21:16

PITMIX wrote:I tell you the Dolareane which rolls with banana peels and other organic waste it will exist one day :P

The DELOREANE ty puts a trailer with a gasifier it rolls in the hair with banana peels (v6 GRP fuel its food all) : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:

@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 05/11/06, 21:41

Craig Venter is still someone who wants to gain money first!
When there was the famous "genome race" to sequence the human genome, this gentleman wanted above all to patent human genes for the money ...

http://www.humanite.presse.fr/journal/2 ... -27-227633

And more generally: gougueule search...

So the "benefactor of humanity" side, I have a little trouble ... :frown:
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/11/06, 22:46

Arf Bucheron ... +1 then ...

I wonder if I'm the only one who ever heard of him? : Cheesy:
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 06/11/06, 08:00

Anyway, behind research you always need money to get things done ...
But if he was looking for money at that time to finance this research then ...
I read this in a 2003 S&V.
Yes, all hydrogen producing bacteria have a low yield. What is interesting is that they produce hydrogen from water and light, nothing else for most of them. Indeed this man and many others seek to sequence the genomes of millions of hydrogen-producing bacteria in order to manufacture a synthetic which could only survive in a bioreactor.
It will therefore be a transgenic bacterium since DNA will be a compilation of the most profitable genes and composed of specific options on demand.
They've been sequencing the genomes of thousands for almost 15 years. The work is far from being finished since 1ml of seawater contains nearly a million bacteria.
Last edited by PITMIX the 06 / 11 / 06, 13: 52, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/11/06, 08:22

PITMIX wrote:Yes, all hydrogen producing bacteria have a low yield. What is interesting is that they produce hydrogen from water and light, nothing else for most of them.

I worked in microalgae aquaculture (spirulina, porphyridium, pheodactylum ...) and I can tell you that the culture medium must be monitored very precisely ...

So to say "nothing else" is to go a little fast in work: bicarbonate, nitrates and phyosphates are widely used for the culture medium .... at least for the 3 species mentioned above ... For what is chlamydomonas i have never grown it so i don't know specifically but i guess it can't be much different.

It is this and the fact of having to constantly monitor the culture medium that makes microalgae very expensive ...
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 06/11/06, 13:42

I am not a biologist, I only take up the information I have in front of me:
Source of energy ===> Micro-organism

Water and Light ===> micro algae (chlamydomonas, Scenedesmus ...)
nitrogen-fixing cyanobacteria (Anabeana, Noctoc ...), non-fixing cyanobacteria (Synechocystis, Synechococcus ...)

Light + carbohydrates or organic acids ===> Purple bacteria (Rhodobacter, Rhodopseudomonas)

Carbohydrates, organic acids ===> most photosynthetic bacteria producing H2, Strict anaerobic bacteria (Clostridium ...) Facultative anaerobic bacteria (enterobacter ...) hyperthermophilic bacteria (pyrococcus, thermotoga ...)

Carbohydrate, organic acids carbon monoxide (CO) ===> Various types of anaerobic bacteria

It will speak to you more than to me but I understand in this table that bacteria produce hydrogen in the presence of light, water, carbohydrate, CO etc ...
I think they need very strict conditions for their survival and certainly other food.
Some produce H2 even in the presence of air others in the absence of O2, some manage to produce it in the absence of light and O2 or at temperatures reaching 95 ° C etc ...
The production of hydrogen is not always efficient and even sometimes very brief.

So indeed, nature has not yet produced the perfect H2-producing bacteria, but Craig is working on it. Maybe it exists and we haven't discovered it yet.

Info for Woodcutter Craig Venter has invested $ 100 million in his research. Chances are the money didn't fall from the sky. I am not saying that he is a trusted guy but simply I appreciate the research he does.

Maybe if he makes the perfect bacteria he will become the King of hydrogen, the new emir ...

There will certainly be a whole industry as gigantic as the petroleum industry today ... but frankly I prefer to pay 1m 3 of bio-hydrogen to this American, than 1L of oil to his cousin Bush.
0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."