ATF oil in GM Opel F40 manual gearbox vs MTF0063! Scam at my garage ... incompetent?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Flytox

Re: ATF oil in GM Opel F40 manual gearbox vs MTF0063! Scam at my garage ... incompetent?

by Flytox » 03/10/20, 16:01

About the level of confidence that we can have in certain Pigeot dealers (in the East of France), a few days ago.

- This is a well maintained 207 km, 7 km petrol 1.4 liter, 16 valve 1455000 (AXNUMX).
- Failure = Sudden big loss of power without any warning sign, with the engine warning light coming on.
- Taken to a Pigeot dealer, passage through the suitcase + compressiometer, diagnosis = damaged valve.
- Dismantling of the cylinder head, indeed a piece of metal of a few mm2 is missing on an exhaust valve.
So far it's good.

Then the garage makes the following repair estimate:

scroc.jpg
scroc.jpg (280.39 KiB) Viewed 4292 times

1st line: the mechanic drained the oil directly without recovering it when the car is coming out of overhaul (new synthetic oil).
3rd line: he wants to change all the bolts securing the cylinder head. (Completely unnecessary).
6th line: he wants to change all the 8 intake valves (none of which are defective).
7th line: he wants to change all 8 exhaust valves (for only one defective).
8th line: he wants to change all 32 valve half cones (for none defective).
9th line: he wants to change the crankshaft pulley screw (Completely useless).
12th line: he wants to change the engine timing pad (without any need).
13th line: he wants to change the timing tensioner (without any need).
15th line: he wants to change the oil filter (when the car comes out of overhaul).
16th line: he wants to change the calorstat (although the car has never overheated, perfectly useless).
17th line: he wants to change the water pump pulley (without any need).
19th line: he wants to change the injector seals on the 4 cylinders (while the injection and therefore its removal is neither involved nor necessary).
20 ° line: he wants to change the exhaust collar (without any need):
21 ° line: he wants to change 4 spark plugs (for only 1 possibly suspect).

for line 18 I did not find what it is talking about (air distributor seal ???)

"Corrected" view:

scroc_corrected.jpg
scroc_corrigé.jpg (185.66 KiB) Viewed 4292 times

In short, by taking / correcting the estimate of his idiotic suggestions, we go from 2429.57 to 1159.21 € !!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we should pity those who do not understand anything in mechanics when they go to this kind of dealer ..... this one is in the East but I know the same Pigeot in my area .....
1 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: ATF oil in GM Opel F40 manual gearbox vs MTF0063! Scam at my garage ... incompetent?

by Macro » 04/10/20, 20:46

Stretchable cylinder head studs: to be changed
Ditto for the crankshaft pulley screw
Oil: polluted by LDR during deculassage
removal of the timing: we change the belt and rollers

For the eight valves ... The guy is going strong ... But hey ... He covers himself ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Flytox

by Flytox » 04/10/20, 21:43

Macro wrote:Stretchable cylinder head studs: to be changed

If there is a problem, it is during tightening, when reassembling with the torque wrench when they give a wrench angle instead of a torque.
Optionally, a tightening hair can be added. My friend, who is a mechanic by trade, never changes them and never got back for that. "It's a trick to get the business going," he says.

Ditto for the crankshaft pulley screw

Same. If you apply the recommended torque, it's good.

Oil: polluted by LDR during deculassage

If we drain first and deculcate afterwards, there is no mixing.

removal of the timing: we change the belt and rollers

It's a chain and if the tensioner was good until now, I don't see why it wouldn't be good afterwards. As far as I know, its change is not recommended in periodic visits. The guy from the quote told me over the phone that it wasn't mandatory to change it ... just a precaution ...

For the eight valves ... The guy is going strong ... But hey ... He covers himself ...

Not 8 but 15 excess valves .... they stuff themselves seriously
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 04/10/20, 22:10

The cylinder head studs / screws normally there is a rating given to know if we can reassemble it or if we must change them. But I am also of the opinion that it is to make the business work.
The first time I did a cylinder head gasket on my old 405, I changed them even though they were still within tolerances. as 20.000km I had to start over, this time I did not change them (at 80 euros the screw kit I took the risk) it held at least 100.000km (and probably more but it finally left breakage)

It's a bit like the timing belt, if you listen to the "pro" from the moment you take it apart you have to change it ... except that well, in practice if it's been less than a year you can reassemble without problem.

A stripping is the opportunity to do a lot of maintenance operations (distribution, water pump, etc ...) but must not be abused in the other direction! I have never seen a valve change if it is not cracked or bent ... even less for the valve keys, there clearly the guy is having fun.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 05/10/20, 21:57

At this rate, it would have been necessary to change the most fragile part: the valve spring!

Cylinder head screw, I never changed.

I have already taken out the pistons, and out of cylinder head gasket and fluid, next distri, it passes. Not even changed the bearing screws either ...
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Flytox

by Flytox » 06/10/20, 10:00

Forhorse wrote:It's a bit like the timing belt, if you listen to the "pro" from the moment you take it apart you have to change it ... except that well, in practice if it's been less than a year you can reassemble without problem.

On my second-hand Diesel Saxo, the timing belt was mounted upside down (relative to the direction of rotation) and so loosely stretched that by hand it could be moved back and forth in relation to the game. on the teeth !!! : Shock: I lead it rather nicely but I still can't believe it didn't jump and shoot the engine (driven at least 30 km like that). Big luck : Cheesy:
Now that I have changed it properly, the noise has changed, especially at idle, with better acceleration?
0 x

[Eugène Ionesco]

Christophe

by Christophe » 19/10/20, 18:12

Here she is mounted !!

There are still professional and nice mechanics in France, just find them!

box.jpg
box.jpg (64.06 KiB) Viewed 4143 times

So I switched to the "long" version of 2007 MU09: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_F40_transmission

Well I didn't think it was that long: I lost 400 to 500 RPM at 120 km / h ...

Before I drove exclusively in 6th ... then I can stay in 5th as soon as I do not exceed 110 ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 20/10/20, 09:06

The new toy that I have just offered to Mamita for her upcoming 50ene crisis ... has a 6-speed manual gearbox ... which I find a little short too ... But hey, we hadn't lost the used to gasoline engines with us ... and in addition to small displacement (less than 1.9 for a 4-legged is small) ..
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...