An anti-nox bitumen?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

An anti-nox bitumen?

by Christophe » 07/01/07, 23:41

The Hauts-de-Seine General Council should soon test an anti-pollution asphalt placed on a departmental road in the municipality of Vanves. The composition of this bitumen developed by an Italian cement manufacturer: mixture of cement and titanium dioxide, added to tar. This would absorb up to 80% of the nitrogen dioxides released by vehicles. It has already been tested in Japan where it would have reduced nearly 60% of urban pollutant emissions. The major drawback is its price: 2 to 3 times more expensive than that of a conventional coating.

http://ecologie.caradisiac.com/Un-bitum ... lution-879

Don't ask me how it works I have no idea ... :?:
0 x
nlc
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by nlc » 07/01/07, 23:48

This kind of thing is a patch: we absorb pollution rather than eliminating it at the source. Like that everyone is happy: the cars are still running, the politicians prove that they are interested in ecology, and the manufacturer of the coating is going full excavation! : Cheesy:
0 x
nlc
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: An anti-nox bitumen?

by nlc » 07/01/07, 23:50

Christophe wrote:Don't ask me how it works I have no idea ... :?:

It reminds me of Gaston Lagaffe with his revolutionary anti-pollution system : Cheesy: He recovers his exhaust gases in a giant balloon :D
The concern is that when it is full, it must be emptied : Cheesy:
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 07/01/07, 23:52

nlc wrote:This kind of thing is a patch: we absorb pollution rather than eliminating it at the source. Like that everyone is happy: the cars are still running, the politicians prove that they are interested in ecology, and the manufacturer of the coating is going full excavation! : Cheesy:

yes but since we are not ready to remove all the diesels that spit NOx anytime soon, this may not be such a bad solution in town especially for the lungs of city dwellers.

On the other hand, there must be a toxic component "not yet identified" in this bitumen !!!! : Evil:
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
nlc
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by nlc » 07/01/07, 23:56

jean63 wrote:On the other hand, there must be a toxic component "not yet identified" in this bitumen !!!! : Evil:

Oh yes most certainly !!
0 x
Christophe

Re: An anti-nox bitumen?

by Christophe » 08/01/07, 12:18

nlc wrote:The concern is that when it is full, it must be emptied : Cheesy:

+1 I don't see how NOx can be absorbed indefinitely ... unless it is reduced to N2 and O2 by the bitumen which would self-sustain the reaction ... which would still be very surprising given the difficulties that place the Nox in the catamaran pots ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/01/07, 12:21

nlc wrote:Oh yes most certainly !!

Not on ... the only compound cited is "titanium dioxide" ... moreover kk1 spoke about it on this other post: https://www.econologie.com/forums/les-batter ... t2816.html

While this did not concern the subject :?:

Here is some info on this component:

Titanium dioxide, a white pigment

* Titanium dioxide or white titanium is the most used white pigment;
* it is not toxic and has therefore expelled lead white from the market;
* titanium dioxide is produced from a chloride process which, for environmental reasons, is increasingly replacing the sulfate process;

http://www.belgochlor.be/fr/H308.htm

And:

other applications

Titanium dioxide is envisaged to catalyze the degradation of pesticides contained in water, under the action of ultraviolet rays [7]

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxyde_de_titane

I suppose it is rather the property of catalysis than of dye which is used in our case :D

On the other hand I also think that all the "recipe" is not given in the brief description above ...
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 08/01/07, 13:49

Christophe says:
which would still be surprising given the difficulties posed by Nox in pots cata ...

about it, my son had an incredible problem on its Jumpy 1,9 D (occas Citroën 25000 1 year Citroën kms guaranteed.): catalytic converter stuffy to 60000 km. The engine was idling, not speed up, he returned to 10 km / h home.

Diag Citroën: normal = piece wear / refusal to take warranty when it came out from 15 days. I yelled VERY loud and finally, the mechanic of the garage recognized a possible cause related to the blocked EGR valve and agreed to block it in the closed position (no exhaust gas recirculation on admission). ... but no one said it came from there.
The mystery remains. For me it is the soot that has clogged the pot after the gavage of the EGR valve. This vehicle does not smoke nor start or acceleration but in recent months he had down power problems he had reported them x times.

Returning to NOx: they destroy the precious metals
catamarans pots? is what it may end with a stuffy pot?

"You can't imagine what Citroën can do for you"
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 08/01/07, 14:11

jean63 wrote:Christophe says:
which would still be surprising given the difficulties posed by Nox in pots cata ...

about it, my son had an incredible problem on its Jumpy 1,9 D (occas Citroën 25000 1 year Citroën kms guaranteed.): catalytic converter stuffy to 60000 km. The engine was idling, not speed up, he returned to 10 km / h home.

Diag Citroën: normal = piece wear / refusal to take warranty when it came out from 15 days. I yelled VERY loud and finally, the mechanic of the garage recognized a possible cause related to the blocked EGR valve and agreed to block it in the closed position (no exhaust gas recirculation on admission). ... but no one said it came from there.
The mystery remains. For me it is the soot that has clogged the pot after the gavage of the EGR valve. This vehicle does not smoke nor start or acceleration but in recent months he had down power problems he had reported them x times.

Returning to NOx: they destroy the precious metals
catamarans pots? is what it may end with a stuffy pot?

"You can't imagine what Citroën can do for you"

the problem of the pot if repeated small trips, or motor not pushed enough, the pot mouth, occasionally need to be accelerated in the strong support towers for which is eliminated Dedan: a big black cloud what !! ! ( : Mrgreen: ?) : Evil: : Evil:
0 x
White would not exist without the dark, but anyway!

http://maison-en-paille.blogspot.fr/
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/01/07, 14:26

Yes it is a wearing part but small technical detail: it is not the Pot Cata but the miraculous Particulate Filter (and its cerine https://www.econologie.com/filtre-a-part ... s-406.html ) which gets clogged as and when ... the observed drop in power is directly linked to this "clogging" ... Normally it regenerates itself automatically but it takes very specific conditions: medium to high load for X km .. .With Sarko's radars, it is more and more difficult to do.

After that there remains the "test bench" method for regeneration but very few mechanics have one ... so they prefer to change the FAP (good for the GDP and the manufacturers) it is in the 1000 to 1500 € of costs every 60 to 80 km ...
0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."