Special Start & Stop AGM / EFB battery required or not?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Special Start & Stop AGM / EFB battery required or not?

by Christophe » 22/01/15, 23:44

I have to change the battery (which will be 6 years old and some vigorous winters) of a car equipped with a Start & Stop (micro hybrid according to some manufacturers).

The prices are just mind-blowing: more than 400 € full price (180 to 250 € after "web reduction") for the 80 Ah AGM Start & Stop battery on Oscaro ...

Obviously, both manufacturers and sellers claim that you absolutely need a Start & Stop battery so ...

So questions:

a) At the technological level: what are the specificities of these Start & Stop batteries ... I just found that it was "better" and that it could accept more charge / discharge cycles, ie 3 to 4 times more. Which would mean that a classic battery would only last 6 years / 3 = less than 2 years in my case?

b) A more powerful but "classic" battery, less expensive, would it not achieve the same result in terms of lifespan?

I did some research on the net but I did not find specific info ... hence this subject.

Thank you

ps: considering the prices I will still try the magnesium sulfate regeneration
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 23/01/15, 08:46

The start & stop batteries are related to the semi traction batteries. An ordinary starting battery is made to deliver a very strong current for a short period of time with a "slow" recharge compared to the start and stop which it can charge a current medium and recharge with stronger current without suffering too much damage.

There is at home a seller of drums specializing in the thing that sells at relatively attractive prices plus he is very good advice. He must sell by mail order, he's someone who deserves to work ... Battery agm 80Ah S&S 186 € on his shop But he had made me a super nice price (from memory around 80 € for one that was a 107 catalog) on ​​that of my 4x4; As it is equipped with a large electric winch he had offered me a start & stop one with a good discount but it was not too useful because it is very useful)
It's always worth it to give him a blow of the bell ... He is a guy who has all my confidence he will not sell you anything for the pleasure of selling it to you ... If you have to spend take it to send it to you does not hesitate to signal me..It will be with pleasure..However it is heavy ... Denser than a normal battery I think ...

http://www.batterie-solaire.com/PBSCCatalog.asp

For regenerations ... No comment ... Everything I could try has always been miserably messed up ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/15, 11:31

Thank you Macro! Interesting your contact indeed!

Why should a start & stop battery charge average current? It is not used in traction but in successive starts ...

I still wonder if it is economically and ecologically interesting to put 150 € to 200 € more for such a battery; the start & stop fuel savings are still very low! (especially for me who rarely drives in town) ... after there is the service life, if the classic battery lasts only a few months the calculation is quickly done ... I read on the Varta site that 'a typical battery on a Start & Stop car only lasted 6 months ... Wooow ...

ps: we can also deactivate the start & stop ... (for me it has been 2 years since it no longer worked, automatically cut off, precisely because the battery was starting to suck ...)
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 23/01/15, 11:57

Economically the S&S is a hoax it is on ... Ecologically, the gain that I see in terms of pollution is that on noise pollution. The type in question also recommends this type of battery for taxis, the delivery men ... Who start their car 50 times a day ... Namely in the 90s the calculation of the battery and its alternator was dimensioned so that the alternator recharges the battery after a normal starter stroke in 5km of driving normal without consumers ... Tell me that you did not pay the price with your VFR : Mrgreen: . On the other hand..I bought my brother's old taxi, she was 4 years old and about 300km.The original battery is still on it..I will take another one from him within two to 000 months equipped with the S&S which also arrives at 3km and which still has its original battery this one has made more town than the first .. At VW they told him during the last revision that it should reach the end of its life soon ... I would see ...
On the other hand, your battery is 6 years old ...
Phone the guy ... He is going to be able to give you a little discount from behind the fagots ... Play a bit of larmichette and possibly a little bit of com that it could do ...
When I told him that I had bought a bunch of li ion cells for my sax. He took out the price he could have charged me for lead traction cells ... It was really very interesting. .
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/15, 12:10

Yes for noise pollution although at idle a modern car is still rather quiet! The debate on whether or not to shut down the engine is a "historic" ecological debate.

We talked about it here (among other things): https://www.econologie.com/forums/systeme-st ... 12088.html

Macro wrote:Who start their car 50 times a day.

Precisely a very good example: they do not have an S&S battery and that is enough, right? Besides, personally I have never used the start & stop 50 times in a single day !! I would say 15 to 20 times grand max (very rare)! Obviously I'm not in town.
Also I do not drive systematically every day ... and that in winter it is not good for the battery ...

Yes the price of its AGM is interesting (almost the price of a normal elsewhere of the same capacity ...) see the shipping costs (certainly for 30 €)

ps: 5km it seems to me very little you're sure of your shot there ?? It seems little to me (can we estimate the energy and power required if you want?). My VFR was the regulator which had necessarily dropped ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 23/01/15, 13:16

Well if .. Those who start their cars too often to go door to door have problems of this kind ... That is why he advises them what kind of batteries that better accept this kind of use. ..This is partly why he also recommended a battery of this kind for my 4x4 which I use more as a construction machine than a vehicle ...
We had a Renault 4 at my taff it barely traveled 250km / year we changed the battery and the starter more often than the engine oil : Mrgreen:

It's ugly ... my brother left for Alsace this morning ... You could have won 30 € ...
Last edited by Macro the 23 / 01 / 15, 13: 39, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/15, 13:34

Ok for the outfit !!

Uh, I haven't been in Alsace since ... 2003 ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 23/01/15, 13:46

And for the regu of your VFR ... As much connection of the two bulbs code and headlight and too many small trips ... A colleague who used his to make 2km to come to work changed it 3 times in 5 years ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/01/15, 14:22

Ah yes ... er for 2km I do not go out on the bike ... such short journeys do not damage the battery / regulator ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 23/01/15, 15:15

Him if ... He no longer takes his bike after two ruptures of aneurysm ...
0 x