New Peugeot hybrid gasoline / air: 3l / 100Km

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 04/02/13, 14:57

chatelot16 wrote:this electric motor is really too heavy ... is it an error on the doc, or is it a motor engine really not optimized for this use? like a motor made to turn much faster, used at low speed in direct drive on the propeller?

it is quite simply a motor dimensioned to give all its power 100% of the time in continuous service with a lifespan of 50 hours ...

Let a 106 motor come out at full power for 5 hours continuously ... I am almost sure that you are blazing a game of coal on it.

I suspect that there have been improvements but I think that the leaf engine of 60kg and 108hp it must remain "peak power" usable for a few minutes (I can not open the link)
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 04/02/13, 15:07

Macro wrote:I suspect that there have been improvements but I think that the leaf engine of 60kg and 108hp has to remain "peak power" usable for a few minutes
Anyway, with 24 kWh of batteries, the engine will stop after 18 minutes : Cheesy:

So no need to (over) size it for 24 hour operation at its maximum power :P

A car heat engine is also not designed to operate continuously at its maximum power : Mrgreen:
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 04/02/13, 15:22

Gaston wrote:Anyway, with 24 kWh of batteries, the engine will stop after 18 minutes : Cheesy:

So no need to (over) size it for 24 hour operation at its maximum power :P

A car heat engine is also not designed to operate continuously at its maximum power : Mrgreen:

Ben a 45hp engine on a car loaded with 1T5 to 130 on the highway ... If it is not at the cleat .. It is not far ... I had it on my old golf 1.5D .. She held it during the 6 a700km that the full of 50litres allowed to do at this speed.
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 04/02/13, 15:45

Macro wrote:Ben a 45hp engine on a car loaded with 1T5 to 130 on the highway ... If it is not at the cleat .. It is not far ... I had it on my old golf 1.5D .. She held it during the 6 a700km that the full of 50litres allowed to do at this speed.
Now that most Golfs have more than 100 hp, it is still enough that the engine can give 50 hp continuously.

In the same way, the LEAF, even at 130 km / h (which it cannot exceed since it is restrained) does not use more than 50 hp (or 36,8 kW) or 46% of its maximum power .
So, no, the LEAF engine is not undersized, given its use.

And I think it is a mistake to think that an electric car (excluding battery) is heavier than a thermal ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 04/02/13, 15:55

It must even consume less than 36kw on highway at 130..Otherwise its batterries of 24kwh of total capacity would just allow it a saving of 80km ... It is above 100km it seems to me ???

And there are still cars under 100hp ...
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 04/02/13, 15:59

Macro wrote:.It is above 100km it seems to me ???
Over 100, yes, but not at 130 km / h ...
0 x
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by BobFuck » 04/02/13, 17:18

chatelot16 wrote:this electric motor is really too heavy ... is this an error on the doc, or is this an industrial motor really not optimized for this use?

It is an air-cooled engine ... so large carcass to conduct heat, fins, all that is heavy ... and as the air cools badly, there must be more copper to reduce the losses (therefore, more weight). In addition, it is given for 50000h (10x more than a car), and on a boat, we do not save too much weight ...

> The engine of the LEAF 80 kW (108 hp) weighs about 60 kg ...
> 75 kg with electronics

All this is water-cooled: much less large metal carcass ... so less iron losses too.

The water cools efficiently so we can save on copper, a little more copper losses versus pounds less, it's a good compromise, since copper losses are mainly present at high powers, but the weight, He is always there.

In addition, the copper conducts less and less the hotter it is: better cooling (with water) = better yield, with the same amount of copper.

In addition, a car, what does it roll, 5000h? ... and again, I am generous ...

> And it is much smaller than that of the 106

If that of the 106 is a DC carbon motor (technological level = steam engine) and that of the Leaf a modern asynchronous, this is normal.

In their doc they say "AC synchronizing", which doesn't mean anything. Looks like on the net it's a synchronous AC motor and not a crappy brushless. Well, I'm not so sure ...

By the way, ABB released a new range of reluctance motors (synrm): I looked, that of 72 kW weighs 300kG : Mrgreen: (but industrial and air-cooled). According to the doc, you have to change the bearings every 40000 hours ... it's designed to work 24/7 for years. The yield is however monstrously high.
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 04/02/13, 17:44

BobFuck wrote:In their doc they say "AC synchronizing", which doesn't mean anything. Looks like on the net it's a synchronous AC motor and not a crappy brushless: great news. Weird that it is not an asynchronous ...
It is a synchronous permanent magnet motor (therefore a brushless : Cheesy: ).

Asynchronous motors are not necessarily well suited to traction.
Their efficiency is (a little) lower, their driving is much more complex and their starting current is very important (or if we limit the starting current, the torque is lower).
0 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by gildas » 04/02/13, 18:31

Please note, asynchronous motors are much heavier than universal motors!

Easy to realize when choosing a pressure washer.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 04/02/13, 18:42

do not make a false conclusion in engine comparisons

in general the asynchronous motor is heavy because it rotates at 3000 rpm powered by 50Hz, but with electronics we can make it that rotates faster and gives performance comparable to other motors

the asynchronous have a huge starting current when they are made to start at the fixed frequency of 50Hz completely unsuitable for starting: with an electronic variator there is no more peak current than other type of motor

fashion is with permanent magnet neodymium motor ... but beware it is expensive, and not very durable ... malfunction in case of overheating ... poor resistance to humidity: self destruction at the slightest defect of protection by a layer of zinc

well optimized the asynchronous motor and just a little heavier than a synchronous magnet, but so much simpler ... the absence of magnet precisely allows to make a strong peak power without being afraid of overheating
0 x