Helicopter with diesel engine (ecomotors)

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 13/05/10, 16:14

I do not contradict that the cylinder machined in the block is not the oldest: but I say that it is not simple

for me a good engine should be easy to maintain: especially for an airplane engine

it is essential for me that the wearing parts can be changed easily

the ultra-modern, complicated engine project doesn't inspire me very much

the good old star engine is not so bad: all the elements are easy to access

the star engines have been criticized for their large size therefore poor aerodynamics: the narrower in-line engine had advantages ... for fighter aircraft

but for a small plane (or helicopter) and with the current evolution which allows to have smaller cubic capacity ca could become again the future

should we not highlight the work of the clergy?
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 13/05/10, 20:16

chatelot16 wrote:I do not contradict that the cylinder machined in the block is not the oldest: but I say that it is not simple

for me a good engine should be easy to maintain: especially for an airplane engine

it is essential for me that the wearing parts can be changed easily

the ultra-modern, complicated engine project doesn't inspire me very much

the good old star engine is not so bad: all the elements are easy to access

the star engines have been criticized for their large size therefore poor aerodynamics: the narrower in-line engine had advantages ... for fighter aircraft

but for a small plane (or helicopter) and with the current evolution which allows to have smaller cubic capacity ca could become again the future

should we not highlight the work of the clergy?

Ford V8 engines from the beginning of the brand were cast iron blocks machined in the mass. In reality this is what is simpler because in the case of the fitted shirts, it is necessary to bore the block and to adapt the shirts by difference in temperature, so everything much more expensive and more complicated. A cylinder engine machined in the block lasts less because the wear is much faster than with cylinders in special low friction cast iron.
The simple airplane engine yes, but wanting too simple is immobility: this is why (and the exorbitant cost of approvals) that there has been no technical improvement on conventional airplane engines. (Lycoming and Continental) since the Second World War, only the most powerful engines have benefited from injection for example ... in terms of efficiency, a vulgar 912 does much better with simple motorcycle carbs (bing) with a reduced consumption of 6-7 liters per hour at equal power ... Cessna wanted to revolutionize the light aircraft by first choosing the rotax 912S (100hp) for its new "skykatcher": the American pilots, who represent the bulk of the buyers, have none. not wanted, although it is better in all respects than a classic engine ... the skycatcher is therefore produced with an old 100hp Continental ... conservatism has won ...
The star engine is indeed an excellent solution for slower devices, a 5-star cylinder well optimized from 80 to 100hp would be at an acceptable weight for an ulm, but be aware that the 7-cylinder 110hp built in Australia by Rotec , weighs 102kg, certainly it is built robust with parts machined in the mass ... starting from stamped parts it would be much lighter but not possible here considering the small series ... http://www.rotecradialengines.com/0RotecR2800/R2800.htm
HCI, an American manufacturer, offers a star engine available ready for use or as a kit, just see the plans (for gifted and well-equipped people), but the technique used is rudimentary (side valve distribution) however given the low speed it is an acceptable solution ~, very simple (cast iron cylinders from VW cox) and quite light (75kg for 85hp at ... 1750tr !!!), the engine being more compact in diameter given that the cylinder heads are very flat (see HD "flat head" engines ... http://www.hciaviation.com/prod-r220-a.shtml
As for the Clerget solution, I am afraid that it is incompatible with our purses and also the authorized mass of microlights ... and too heavy for helicopters (a star engine (except reduced models) cannot turn very quickly because of the inertia of the moving crew) ...
But I love the very particular noise of star engines, I remember with nostalgia the magnificent Bristol / Snecma Hercules 14 cylinders without valves of the Noratlas: start in a noise of thunder and a cloud of oil smoke (the one that accumulates in the lower cylinders when stopped), all shaking the whole plane, but in flight it purred like a big cat without any mechanical rattling (the swaying shirts are very silent) or vibrations, with magnificent blue flames to the exhausts, betraying the excellent performance of these engines in comparison with the 18 cyl Wright with orange flame (mixture always rather rich) :D
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 13/05/10, 22:11

Hello oiseautempete
oiseautempete wrote:But I love the very particular noise of star engines, I remember with nostalgia the magnificent Bristol / Snecma Hercules 14 cylinders without valves of the Noratlas: start in a noise of thunder and a cloud of oil smoke (the one that accumulates in the cylinders at the bottom when stopped), all making the whole plane tremble, but in flight it purred like a big cat without any mechanical rattling (the swaying shirts are very silent) or vibrations, with magnificent blue flames with exhausts, betraying the excellent performance of these engines in comparison with the 18 cyl Wright with orange flame (mixture always rather rich) :D

The excellent performance is not rather when the combustion has ended in the cylinder and the cylinder head and does not continue in the exhaust so by not making the color ... ???
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 14/05/10, 09:17

Flytox wrote:The excellent performance is not rather when the combustion has ended in the cylinder and the cylinder head and does not continue in the exhaust so by not making the color ... ???

There are 2s: the richness does not need to be as high (less risk of detonation because no valves which "move" in the chamber) and the combustion is better in the Bristol, suddenly the consumption specific was clearly more advantageous, to the detriment, however, of the oil consumption which was higher due to the wiggly liners and their complex control mechanism.The reliability of this engine was, with the RR merlin, what has been achieved better in piston engines
Here is a demo of how Bristol shirts work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Liqqo8Cdb68
Here an aerial demo of the only Noratlas still in flight condition ::: I don't know about you, but me, this fabulous noise makes me shiver in the back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5TtwqeVyBY

And a demo on the bench of a Hercules ... when cold it turns a bit like a steaming potato, but as soon as it is in temperature it is a Swiss watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQZOc49ezX0

While we are at it, a glimpse of the largest propeller plane in the world and the very particular noise of its counter-rotating propellers: the Antonov 22, 4 turbines of 15000hp, 2x the payload of our future A400M ... Here it lands on a very small piece of land to finish at the speyer museum in Germany (highly recommended visit: it is probably the most interesting air museum in Europe with also a lot of French planes) ... The monster stops in only 800m!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RPOCd4g ... re=related
This aircraft, launched in 1967 is still in service with a few copies, irreplaceable for certain uses with its capacity for tactical flight (can land on a basic grass runway) and the 80 tonnes it can take ... It is sometimes rented by the French army for external operations: our Transall and Hercules are like mosquitoes next door ...
Last edited by oiseautempete the 14 / 05 / 10, 09: 43, 1 edited once.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 14/05/10, 09:35

oiseautempete wrote:And a demo on the bench of a Hercules ... when cold it turns a bit like a steaming potato, but as soon as it is in temperature it is a Swiss watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQZOc49ezX0

Recommended as an indoor fan : Cheesy:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/05/10, 12:57

oiseautempete wrote:As for the Clerget solution, I am afraid that it is incompatible with our purses and also the authorized mass of microlights ... and too heavy for helicopters (a star engine (except reduced models) cannot turn very quickly because of the inertia of the moving crew) ...

of course I don't think of such a big clergyman: it's a shame he only made too big an engine, the market of which was going to be taken by turbines: he would have made a smaller model it would have been made

thank you for all your comments, for example on the sliding shirt, which I had completely forgotten: I found it too complicated and uninteresting: but you remembered an advantage: no big hot piece that walks in the room and that can make a catastrophic failure if it breaks (it happened to me on a car ...

of course the sliding shirts are not the solution of the future with the oil that it loses: but it is an argument in favor of the 2-stroke diesel also without valve

the segments which pass in front of the lights are not a weak point: I have heaps of 2 times, from 50cm3 to the French company vierzon, when it is worn out it decreases in power very gradually before being really broken down: a 2-cylinder multi-cylinder engine could run for a long time with one cylinder faulty provided the fuel system was smart enough to stop sending fuel to it

At the time of the junker with an opposed piston, the schnuerle transfer for the 2-stroke was not invented: if it were not an opposite cylinder, there was a big deflector on the piston like the old mobilettes or the French company tractors.

but for a long time all the good 2 times thanks to the schnuerle transfer have a very good sweeping and a flat piston

we can therefore make a very simple 2-stroke diesel: a few cylinders in line like gasoline rotaxes; or why not some star cylinder! thanks to the absence of a valve the total diameter will be smaller than the 4 stroke

I find the architecture of the engine which opened this subject quite horrible: the large connecting rods which make the 2nd piston work are a big dead weight, and to balance the engine the short connecting rod of the 1st piston must make the same weight! : the clm license junker engine on this same type of large connecting rod it makes very heavy engine, the only light solution to make the opposite piston light is to put 2 crankshaft, and it is the reducer which will have 2 entered and will synchronize the 2
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 14/05/10, 15:10

chatelot16 wrote:of course I don't think of such a big clergyman: it's a shame he only made too big an engine, the market of which was going to be taken by turbines: he would have made a smaller model it would have been made

of course the sliding shirts are not the solution of the future with the oil that it loses: but it is an argument in favor of the 2-stroke diesel also without valve

so we can make a very simple 2-stroke diesel
... or why not some star cylinder! thanks to the absence of a valve the total diameter will be smaller than the 4 stroke

the only light solution to make the opposite piston light is to put 2 crankshaft, and it is the reducer which will have 2 entered and will synchronize the 2

At the time, the only French manufacturer who made small star motors (40 and 60hp) relatively light was the company Salmson (which also manufactured cars at the time), today Salmson is just still circulators hot water (# 2 in the world I think)
Aaaaa but 2-stroke diesel is generally NOT without valves! On the Wilksch for example there are 2 exhaust valves per cylinder, the admission being done, via a positive displacement compressor, by the lights and I had the opportunity to see a 2-stroke diesel agricultural tractor, well it was the same!
Indeed, a 2-stroke diesel has ~ the same weight-to-power ratio as a 4-stroke petrol engine. A German manufacturer, Zoche, has been working on this type of engine for 10 years, in this specific case completely without valves, but always with displacement compressor, and star, but for the moment it is still not on sale ... http://www.zoche.de/specs.html
2 crankshafts? in an engine, mass level, the crankshaft comes in 2nd position just after the cylinder block: it is very heavy a crankshaft, even if on a slow engine we often remove the counterweights. The Junkers aviation had 2 crankshafts and it was almost 2x heavier than a Clerget at equal power ...

Example of a Detroit 2-stroke diesel truck: we don't usually hear that in France! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnN1i9Lj ... re=related
0 x
Aumicron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Aumicron » 14/05/10, 15:47

chatelot16 wrote:I find the architecture of the engine which opened this subject quite horrible: the large connecting rods which make the 2nd piston work are a big dead weight, and to balance the engine the short connecting rod of the 1st piston must make the same weight! : the clm license junker engine on this same type of large connecting rod it makes very heavy engine, the only light solution to make the opposite piston light is to put 2 crankshaft, and it is the reducer which will have 2 entered and will synchronize the 2

For my part I find the architecture of this OPOC engine quite remarkable because do not forget that an engine is ultimately a sum of compromise.

OK for your remark about the weight of the big connecting rods but if you put 2 vilos the total weight of the connecting rods and the 2 vilos will certainly be close (certainly higher) to this solution but with 4 bearings instead of 2 and a much more complicated kinematics .

On the other hand, admission on one side and exhaust on the other therefore no unburned

This type of engine in both petrol and diesel should have an excellent weight / power ratio and a lower manufacturing cost than current productions.

For me, it is a solution for the future for cars, motorcycles, airplanes ... All the advantages of 2-stroke without the disadvantages.
0 x
To argue.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/05/10, 16:42

2 crankshaft means 2 crankshaft passing each half of the rain so 2 times lighter: total weight not heavier ...

the 2 simple time only with light is not bad: like this zoche: but these image are bizarre ...

I also have a 2 stroke pony diesel tractor: 2 cylinder 2 stroke hanomag engine: root sweep
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 14/05/10, 17:00

chatelot16 wrote:the 2 simple time only with light is not bad: like this zoche: but these image are bizarre ...

The images are only 10 years old models, but I had the opportunity to see the real engine in Friedrichshaffen during the last "Aero-messe": the whole is really very compact, but the homologations drag (c is an engine that must be certified and it is at the same time very expensive, very long and very complicated, especially for a small structure which is just starting out ...). For the moment they are concentrating on the 150 and 300hp motors. the little 70hp will come next ... all are supercharged by turbo and there is no silencer, apparently not necessary because not very noisy ...
The video of an engine test, once you have not seen:
http://www.zoche.de/Zoche_video.html
0 x