Energy consumption EP Train vs Car

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 16/08/11, 13:35

sen-no-sen wrote:... So let's come back to the subject: train VS car. (Even if the subject is fascinating and deserves a subject all by itself).

There you need a subject on the transport of the future on "rails", on fixed track, including aerotrains and other maglev capable of walking at 500 km / h and stopping every 15 km.

And shouldn't we rather compare train VS plane and car VS coach / bus?

The TGV has not reduced car traffic, on the contrary! car traffic is still increasing despite the sharp increase in fuel prices!

On the other hand the TGV took a good part of the customers of the airlines.

In addition with carpooling you can significantly lower costs and energy consumption / passenger while carpooling by train makes no sense : Lol: .

So train VS car = a false debate?

8)
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 16/08/11, 13:45

bernardd wrote:
What does not correspond to current directions is the train, with the elimination of any station within a radius of 50km in most rural departments.

And it is deleted because the current train solutions are too heavy, too expensive and in any case useless if there is not a sufficient frequency of passage.

I do not share this opinion.
At the beginning of the 20th century, there were stations which served rural areas remarkably well.
These disappeared in favor of the automobile ... possible development only due to cheap oil.
Apart from the explosion of real estate prices, a phenomenon of conurbation and "neo-ruralism" appeared, people going further and further to find accommodation and find their happiness.

Given the exponential increase in the price of fuel, the train is making a strong comeback in its last years as a solution for saving and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

Especially with the arrival of so-called middle classes in emerging countries, the number of vehicles, and therefore the consumption / pollution / degradation caused by the automobile will not be able to continue in this way indefinitely, by sense the train and the various other means of public transport represents a more than necessary alternative to the automobile, whether one agrees or not ...
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 16/08/11, 13:50

bernardd wrote:
Leo Maximus wrote:Two vacuum tubes of 1 m Ø over a length of 100 km, very nice but ... : Shock: What about the emergency gallery? No need ?

Why an emergency gallery? Who said it was an underground? The big advantage of switching to a smaller diameter is that you can put the tubes on posts. And also underwater for that matter :-)

Leo Maximus wrote:Who would agree to travel in what would be coffins? And families with children, pregnant women, the elderly, the disabled ...

Who refuses to take a ride in the Ferrari F50?
http://www.rsiauto.fr/ferrari/f50-90.php

Less than 1m high in the passenger compartment ...

Leo Maximus wrote: How about WC?

And by car on the highway, how do you do it? We simply stop. Every 2 hours is better. Except that at 500km / h we are far in 2 hours :-)

Leo Maximus wrote: And above all, above all, let's not forget the most important: for the bar car, how will we do it ?! : Cheesy: : Evil: :!:

Here you have your bar instead, and above all you can drink since driving is automatic: this is the ultimate argument :-)

Leo Maximus wrote:When the Swiss need a Maglev, they will simply order from the Japanese or the Germans.

It is because of epidermal reactions of this type that we will buy all this from the Chinese in 10 years, because they are the most advanced to date:
http://www.china.org.cn/china/2010-08/0 ... 624621.htm
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/smart-t ... train/9594

An emergency system is essential because there are safety standards in civilized countries. As for the tube at the bottom of the sea ... : Shock:

So let's wait for this Chinese train, 10 years is tomorrow. When will a prototype that anyone can try, like the Japanese Maglev today?

Regarding the Swissmetro, the Swiss "experts" said (in 1994) that in 2010, so last year, the Swissmetro would make 4 billion passengers / km. In 2010, the Swissmetro made 0 passengers / km.
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 16/08/11, 13:57

Leo Maximus wrote:There you need a subject on the transport of the future on "rails", on fixed track, including aerotrains and other maglev capable of walking at 500 km / h and stopping every 15 km.

The energy problem is to stop and restart an entire train to raise or lower 10 people. The only solution is small vehicles which follow each other like wagons, but which can separate or join without slowing down. Today, we could do that.
0 x
See you soon !
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 16/08/11, 14:01

sen-no-sen wrote:I do not share this opinion.
At the beginning of the 20th century, there were stations which served rural areas remarkably well.

I didn't say it was my opinion. This is what I see in all the villages I know.

In most, there is no longer any train, and nobody will pay to put it back, even if the department spends € 60M per year for road maintenance.

So I'm looking for a solution that allows the advantages of the train, the car and the plane, while consuming less energy ...
0 x
See you soon !
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 16/08/11, 14:07

Leo Maximus wrote:And shouldn't we rather compare train VS plane and car VS coach / bus?

Indeed, but the train is just as much a challenger to the plane as to the automobile.
Earlier, I mentioned that between an AGC TER type and a coach, the victory largely went to the coach.

The TGV has not reduced car traffic, on the contrary! car traffic continues to increase despite sharp increase in fuel prices

Exact, but this results among other things from the increase in living standards:

[url] http://www.ac-nancy-metz.fr/ Teach/transportslp/accroissement%20trafic%20routier.htm [/ quote] [/ url]

On the other hand the TGV took a good part of the customers of the airlines.

Yes, even if we find plane tickets cheaper than the train !!! : Evil:

In addition with carpooling you can significantly lower costs and energy consumption / passenger while carpooling by train does not make sense Laughing.

So train VS car = a false debate?

I don't think so, because the train can really replace the car in many cases (and I check it myself every day) all the more so with the "multimodality" of transport (example: train + bicycle, tram etc. ..).

Car sharing is excellent but has its limits, because you have to find someone who has the same schedules, the same route etc ...
In addition, the automobile is designed in an individualistic logic and few people are inclined to want to do it.

PS: I am going to launch a subject on mag lev and other means of rapid movement on rails.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 16/08/11, 14:10

Leo Maximus wrote:An emergency system is essential because there are safety standards in civilized countries.

The tube is outside: you go out and you walk ...

Leo Maximus wrote: As for the tube at the bottom of the sea ... : Shock:

I put a :-) because I was waiting for the reactions ... which is not lacking Image

Leo Maximus wrote: Regarding the Swissmetro, the Swiss "experts" said (in 1994) that in 2010, so last year, the Swissmetro would make 4 billion passengers / km. In 2010, the Swissmetro made 0 passengers / km.

If it had been funded: but they had seen too big, hence the desire to reduce the size ... We must not forget that the promoters of the project came from the railway industry. And despite the desire to innovate, it is sometimes difficult for some to get out of received ideas.
0 x
See you soon !
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 16/08/11, 14:14

sen-no-sen wrote:I don't think so, because the train can really replace the car in many cases (and I check it myself every day) all the more so with the "multimodality" of transport (example: train + bicycle, tram etc. ..).

It really is an urban vision. And again, downtown. But in real life, trains no longer exist. Nor did the buses either.
0 x
See you soon !
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 16/08/11, 14:20

bernardd wrote:
Leo Maximus wrote:There you need a subject on the transport of the future on "rails", on fixed track, including aerotrains and other maglev capable of walking at 500 km / h and stopping every 15 km.

The energy problem is to stop and restart an entire train to raise or lower 10 people. The only solution is small vehicles which follow each other like wagons, but which can separate or join without slowing down. Today, we could do that.

So it's close to the Segway PUMA. . We can hang the PUMA to each other and use +/- the bus lanes, etc ...

See the thread "the car of the future" in 2009 where I showed the interest of this project ... immediately descended in flame on the thread.

http://vimeo.com/5441624
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcS8stGOGCo

The Segway PUMA could be installed in shuttles and we could make long journeys at 500 km / h.
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 16/08/11, 14:29

bernardd wrote:
Leo Maximus wrote:An emergency system is essential because there are safety standards in civilized countries.

The tube is outside: you go out and you walk ...

Wait, the tube is 1 meter in diameter and 100 km long and it is vacuum ... :?:

bernardd wrote:
Leo Maximus wrote: Regarding the Swissmetro, the Swiss "experts" said (in 1994) that in 2010, so last year, the Swissmetro would make 4 billion passengers / km. In 2010, the Swissmetro made 0 passengers / km.

If it had been funded: but they had seen too big, hence the desire to reduce the size ... We must not forget that the promoters of the project came from the railway industry. And despite the desire to innovate, it is sometimes difficult for some to get out of received ideas.

This is why we have to start very slowly with major projects, but that we cannot do everywhere.
0 x