Car life cycle analysis and CO2

Innovations, ideas or patents for sustainable development. Decrease in energy consumption, reduction of pollution, improvement of yields or processes ... Myths or reality about inventions of the past or the future: the inventions of Tesla, Newman, Perendev, Galey, Bearden, cold fusion ...
binder
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Car life cycle analysis and CO2

by binder » 19/12/07, 11:08

Hello
Hope this post is on the right topic. I did not find a "pile of hair".
Regarding the recurring question: how much should you keep your car if you want to change it to release less cO2? What is the return time?
I made quick calculations considering an uncertainty of 30%.
Considering:
-Switching from a car emitting 170gCO2 / km to 135gCO2 / km, e.g. a 306 Tdiesel to a 307 HDI. This represents 35g / km.
- Carbon balance of a company like PSA with 2M vehicle / year
ladle.
-not considering GHG emissions from air conditioning

I end up with the result of 180 km + - 000%. But it is very objectionable!

Do you have data, references, publications in this sense.
Thank you for your posts !!!
P. Binder
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 19/12/07, 11:17

It seems to me that we should take it case by case!

The construction of a vehicle is not the construction of another, etc ...
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/12/07, 11:31

I have often asked myself this kind of question (not exactly yours). When you talk about PSA's carbon footprint, where did you find it?

And did you take into account the gray energy and by extension the gray CO2 in your calculation?

For my part, I have always read that a new car "costs" around 30km of CO000, without ever having absolute certainty (no official figures).

This is why your CO2 figures for PSA interest me greatly.

Besides, we could extend the reasoning to (at least) 2 other resources:
- electricity: how many kWh / new car?
- water: how many L / new car?

For water I think it is around 2 times the mass of the car. But again no certainties and then in a few years these figures must have dropped sharply!

To do well it would also take into account the extraction, transport and manufacture of raw materials, as well as the journeys of employees of the factory ... etc etc ... (yes I know I quibble but ...) ....
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 19/12/07, 20:01

Bonjour Christophe
Christophe wrote:...
To do well it would also take into account the extraction, transport and manufacture of raw materials, as well as the journeys of employees of the factory ... etc etc ... (yes I know I quibble but ...) ....

More and more "French" manufacturers do more than assemble spare parts which come from subcontractors and from abroad. So to carry out your investigation the work will be "Kolosal". In addition these figures, they may go not be willing to give them away, it's not a salesman to say that for a French car, almost everything is done abroad ... : Mrgreen:

We can, maybe, get an idea with the big pieces, at one time they received the motors all assembled / ready (from Valeo?).
A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132