Pantone motor on Volkswagen Beetle

Edits and changes to engines, experiences, findings and ideas.
Adrien
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Pantone motor on Volkswagen Beetle

by Adrien » 08/09/05, 17:19

Hello

then the round trip to germany went very well, consumption on average 9L / 100 in two in the combi and loaded like a mule. Its preferred speed is around 100Km / h (1600cc with short box CA code for those who know).

Otherwise I noticed that it works better when the water reaches a certain level in the bubbler, unfortunately since I do not yet have a float for a constant level, I cannot be there all the time.

The assembly would need to be improved, especially three things: the distance between the bubbler and the reactor, and the heating of the bubbler, and a constant water level for it with an additional tank.

Since the assembly I made a little more than 5000kms and it is still nickel, the engine is not even dead! B)

I have no other photos since I have not changed the montage.

I just did a good engine interview, I'll see if it can make me win even more conso.

See you soon, Adrien.
0 x
"A man who knows how to make himself happy with a simple illusion is infinitely smarter than one who is in despair with reality." Alphonse Allais
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 08/09/05, 19:30

Hello Adrien
I made the same observation, although is with a carburetor the problem arises differently,
With a bubbler the level of water inside the bubbler determines the pressure before the reactor, I thought that the passage of air in a good column favored more bubbling, but with a level of 100mm if we place the tube pierced with small horizontal holes we arrive at the same results.

Well no, a water column of 150 to 200mm occassione the depression necessary for the proper functioning, this has the disadvantage of having a fairly high depression at the entrance to the collector (restriction of the rod)
For a petrol engine if the entry in the engine is done under the pappillon the depression is amply sufficient saves at full revs,

With the carburetor, it was necessary that research the good nozzle to have this depression of 200mm. This depression favors the fog of
of water in the bubbler and at the inlet of the reactor.

You have to see that sometimes it performs well and other times it is as if there was no reactor, surtotut driving in the mountains, or after a prolonged idle, the delay is done energetically to become effective again 5 6 km further, it is all these small remarks that we must analyze to make the reactor profitable, it is not only the heat that influences the yield.
Let us know your comments in different pipes and what proportion of water have you consumed approximately

Andre
0 x
Adrien
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Adrien » 10/09/05, 12:57

Hello,

I noticed that the engine was much (the difference is really obvious) more energetic at night, with a much more stable speed. Maybe due to some humidity or outside temperature?

Otherwise I find I have to put 0,5 to 1,5L of water for 100kms depending on my behavior, and the temperature of the reactor. When everything is hot, consumption is lower than the cold system.

For example when I have a journey of 200kms, I do not add water before arriving. Water consumption is always around 2L of water, and the engine is much more efficient over the last 50 kms.

cold reactor + hot engine = normal smell of a petrol engine without the tingling (when I cut the pantone this tingling comes back), steady speed but misfires on ignition
hot reactor + hot engine = more odor at the exhaust, cold exhaust gases (I can leave my hand just at the exit of what to let pass the gases without that these burn me, knowing that I do not have a lot of distance between the cylinder heads and the outlet since the engine is behind), there is no misfire on ignition, and when I activate the system at 2000rpm, the engine goes up to 2500rpm without hesitation knowing that my engine is very well tuned, it's not as if it was too rich in cut pantone gasoline.

if i was not very clear tell me i would try to explain all this better.

Adrien
0 x
"A man who knows how to make himself happy with a simple illusion is infinitely smarter than one who is in despair with reality." Alphonse Allais
Other

by Other » 10/09/05, 17:55

Hello, Adrien
it's normal for the RPMs to go up when you open the engine, especially if you enter the engine under the throttle valve, it's as if you were entering
auxiliary or if you opened the butterfly more.
If the level is low in the bubbler, this auxiliary input is more supplied with air and water vapor to the engine, but that al, incovenient to make a less good preparation of the water mist before the reactor, I think that with a controlled water level in the bubbler it would be more stable.
If your bubbler was without water and you start the reactor system
you would end up like an engine that was depleted by an air intake under the carburetor (air heated through the reactor)
What I noticed is that it takes 15 km to stabilize at the start even with a lot of water it goes up in temperature (measured on the steam outlet pipe of the reactor), then it goes down and it goes up, to finally stabilize, at this time it follows the power requested from the engine.
J, I enlarged the pipes which enters and which leaves the reactor 3/4 = 19mm in copper that has to improve the system.
To feel the whole effect, push the vehicle up a hill then turn on the water when the reactor is hot and it hangs, I sometimes wonder if we shouldn't be running by heating cycle without pantone and then pantone and start the cycle again heating, turn it on automatically.
For misfires if I put too much water it does that but at low speed, at 100kmh and more it takes a large amount of water to make misfires
and still only if the reactor is refriodi I already pass up to 4 liters per 100km, in the first 10km if we drive fast it is excellent, but it does not take long for it to cool and it degrades , you have to do some tests to find out.
Andre
0 x
Adrien
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Adrien » 10/09/05, 21:35

I guess it's normal since it does, but it's still extremely interesting since I didn't have to add more gas to earn 500 rpms. Besides the engine sucks less gasoline at 2500 rpms with pantone than 2000 rpms without pantone! (the tank of my carburetor is transparent, see the photos on my site ... we can clearly see the flow of gasoline)

it's not like a simple air intake because when the bubbler is cold, as soon as I open the system a little bit the engine starts to have an unstable speed and to lose turns. The air / gasoline ratio at the level of my carburetor is really very very well regulated, moreover the whole engine is adjusted to the hair (I re-adjust it entirely every 5000 kms, I am maniac at this level there)

Otherwise I had noticed the rise in the towers when the water level was low enough.

Adrien
0 x
Adrien
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Adrien » 10/11/05, 14:56

Message of July 3, 2005

Hi, so here the combi is "pantonized" finally rather doped with water.

We made the change to three: Pierre-Etienne, Reunan, and Me.

The 1600cc is equipped with a 4in1, and the silencer has been replaced by the reactor, so that all the exhaust gases do not pass this one. Then to attenuate the noise and isolate it, it is covered with sheet metal with an exhaust outlet.

The bubbler is a 2,75 kg gas cylinder, placed on an exhaust outlet. The bubbling is done by ambient air, which is heated by the exhaust gases.

For the moment the stitching on the intake is done just below the carburetor, the vacuum is good but to do well it will be necessary to put just above the cylinder heads. But it required more work.

the pipes are copper, the soldering done in tin for the moment because the torch was not heating enough to melt the copper. But a priori it holds.

I do not remember the diameter of the reactor, nor the rod, but it is rather long.

We only used salvage, and what we didn't have in stock, we went to buy it in a DIY store.

I will try to put pictures tomorrow.

Otherwise we have not yet tested over long distances, because we finished the silencer in the afternoon and before in free exhaust it was not too much ...

Once the bubbler and the reactor are hot it turns out pretty well! Tomorrow we test consumption on a long journey (150kms)

We also tested with gasoile, when cold when fully opened, we were treated to a super smoke, a huge mist of white smoke in the yard!
Once hot and the valve half open it did not smoke at first until I used the engine brake, then after all at all.
At idle with the gasoile, I managed to close the fuel supply completely. And as soon as I closed the bubbler valve the engine stopped. So a prioris we can use gasoile but here the assembly is not at all suitable for, so we will limit ourselves to water.

See you soon!
0 x
Adrien
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Adrien » 10/11/05, 14:57

Message of July 8, 2005

Sorry, I didn't have time to put the photos the other day, I'm going to take some new ones and put all of them on the site.

Otherwise consumption level I needed a little less than 10L to make 125Kms, knowing that before I was running around 12L / 100kms. It is a VW combi fitted out and loaded.

We will continue the tests, we must go to Germany with the vehicle these days.

See you soon,
Adrien
0 x
Adrien
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Adrien » 10/11/05, 14:58

Message of July 8, 2005

0 x
loic le seac'h
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Water motor on combi

by loic le seac'h » 02/07/06, 00:48

Hello I take my first name and live on the side of Descarte 37 and I am looking for someone for over a year who could help me understand and made the pantome engine on my good old combi from 1977 2litres.
Alas no one by "Adrien de Rennes" could prove to me that it was possible so please answer me. Thank you in advance, hoping to be able to communicate with you soon. good evening
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 20/07/06, 22:37

Hi Loïc
What do you want to know ?
Look at my post on the Super 5 there is lots of information. Also look at my website by clicking on the buttons at the bottom of my messages. I have reached the end of my editing. I got results. Certainly not very convincing but it is necessary to persist and innovate.
Your turn. The hardest part is not the realization but getting the start of the result.
A + good luck.
0 x