508 doping Mercedes: homemade reactor

Edits and changes to engines, experiences, findings and ideas.
Flytox

by Flytox » 06/06/08, 20:57

Hello Jime
jime wrote:... I just want to control the opening and closing of the water flow by a switch in the passenger compartment but it is true that is not the most optimal solution for the changes of pace and temperature of the reactor

Look below, I mounted a miniature lever switch on the accelerator lever on the injection pump. Here it is used to detect slowdown, but you could very well mount an equivalent thing (adjustable) which detects the minimum engine load to which you want to switch in large water flow. A support (it takes the longest to do), a switch, a relay ... it remains relatively simple.

A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
jime
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jime » 07/06/08, 17:00

Hi flytox

your solution is interesting, I ended up ordering a 12V solenoid valve, for the moment the triggering will be done only by manual action on a switch, after using the truck all summer I would end up choosing a solution, I will have a little more perspective ..
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 08/06/08, 04:26

Hello
jime wrote:Hi flytox

your solution is interesting, I ended up ordering a 12V solenoid valve, for the moment the triggering will be done only by manual action on a switch, after using the truck all summer I would end up choosing a solution, I will have a little more perspective ..

This is how you will learn a lot
at the beginning you manually search for the answer on the engine once you have found the amount of water (which is not in a window not as narrow as you might think) the you will automate the small valve
find the right flow so that the valve is not closed for a long time.

two criteria, for valve control, reactor outlet temperature and level in the steam generator.

You will notice that I keep a manual button to send ocasionellent water.

We notice that several montages on the forum or elsewhere have quite different water consumption and yet similar results, even in your tests you will have surprises on water consumption versus economy.
I had results with 0,8 l of water per 100km
the same thing with 1,2 liters per 100km of what to question about the adjustment to adopt (it is not only the humidity of the ambient air which affects, but more the composition of the humid air which enters the reactor,)
With 0,5 liters I have not had good results, rather a lack of power you feel on the pedal
Look for the moment when you feel it more torque at acceleration and slightly decrease the water it is in this window .. Good test and patient

Andre
0 x
jime
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jime » 29/06/08, 22:19

Bonjour à tous

So in order, I installed a solenoid valve with switch in the cabin to open and close the water supply upstream of the drip, the luxury!

I did a new consumption test, interesting, 11,6L / 100 of go for 0,5L / h of water, this is my best result, I will repeat with 1L / h of water or a bit more , it is with this flow that I had obtained my previous best result (11,95L / 100) it will be my adjustment for the summer

And this week I'm going to the CT for pollution, I had to go there at the start of the year, I can't wait too long for better results because I'm going to do quite a few km and the blues abound ... I'm waiting impatiently the result ..

Also I may have a plan to repair my meter, I found a precision turner-miller, it could be that he can machine me a new toothed wheel cheaply, to be confirmed
0 x
jime
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jime » 30/06/08, 15:29

Well I went to the CT faster than expected, result of the opacity of the smoke 1,16 then 1,03 according to the controller says it's not bad for a truck of this age, unfortunately on my previous pv of CT I do not have the opacity results, it is just indicated that the result is less than 2,5m-1

0 x
jime
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jime » 18/08/08, 15:31

a good morning from Alsace

I traveled 985km with 105L of go mixed with 25% of rapeseed, a little more than 10L / 100, and 0,7L / Hour of water, the system goes into action !!
Almost no highway, only national and departmental with roundabout, red lights, stimulus and all the tintoin ...
0 x
jime
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jime » 19/09/08, 12:17

Hi everybody
back in the var, then I noticed that my return consumption was much higher than that of the outward journey, I went from 10L / 100 to 13-14L / 100, my what happened?

After disassembling the inlet nozzle, I find soot in the tube, oh my god there should not be gas in there? I thought that one of my solders had dropped, but no, it's the copper tube for reheating the air supply which has suffered the heat of the exhaust. By force of dilation, the elbow broke. I had thought about mounting it, I thought that by using rigid copper, I would have avoided this kind of problem, but the thinner elbow did not resist.

Change of program, the air is no longer heated in the exhaust, I do not take the risk of a new breakage.
The air inlet is now at the entrance to the GVI, the air-water mixture is therefore at the entrance to the gvi, I took advantage of the disassembly to install a tank in the cabin, still with the solenoid valve for manage the water supply and the flow is ensured by my good old drip, approaching winter, I isolated the air and water supply tubes in polyurethane plumbing foam.
The air intake is against the engine to draw in hot air even in winter.

Another black spot repaired, the connection hose between the Gvi and the inlet of the reactor which was melting before hardening and breaking in turn, in the first I had a 3mm nozzle, changing it with a 5mm nozzle, even problem the hose melts and pierces. I then replaced everything with brazed copper, so I inserted a 5mm nozzle in the copper tube to tame the gvi but it will be more complicated to change than with the rubber hose

After testing the system, I can send him 2L ​​/ hour without drowning the reactor, I have not tried more. There is then a T ° of 170 ° at the outlet of the reactor, now remains to refine the flow of water supply
0 x
Other

by Other » 21/09/08, 04:05

Hello

Change of program, the air is no longer heated in the exhaust, I do not take the risk of a new breakage.
The air intake is now at the entrance to the GVI, the air-water mixture is therefore made at the entrance to the gvi,

It starts to look like my montage :D easier to manage air and water at the inlet of a dry GV while strongly welded stainless steel.

After testing the system, I can send him 2L ​​/ hour without drowning the reactor, I have not tried more. There is then a T ° of 170 ° at the outlet of the reactor, now remains to refine the flow of water supply

170c output with 2 liters of water, the motor must force
1,8 liters at 110kmh on the highway I stand around 110c and less .. With 1,2 liters of water it varies from 135c to 150c
The outlet temperature reacts with a lot of inertia, but once hot, you can do without water .. the economy is not proportional to the consumption of water, exceed a certain consumption of water even with hot exit you don't make any more gains ..

When this was lacking, did you not notice a loss of acceleration power?

Andre
0 x
jime
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jime » 21/09/08, 09:13

hello andré

Andre wrote:It starts to look like my montage :D easier to manage air and water at the inlet of a dry GV while strongly welded stainless steel.

Exactly, I thought of you during the repairs, I wanted to try a simpler solution, on a forum enthusiasts of Mercedes utility vehicles, I had also been made the remark, (send the air directly in the gvi) maybe the idea comes from here

170c output with 2 liters of water, the motor must force
1,8 liters at 110kmh on the highway I stand around 110c and less .. With 1,2 liters of water it varies from 135c to 150c
The outlet temperature reacts with a lot of inertia, but once hot, you can do without water .. the economy is not proportional to the consumption of water, exceed a certain consumption of water even with hot exit you don't make any more gains ..

When this was lacking, did you not notice a loss of acceleration power?

Andre

to have 170 ° c, I drive in 5th at 85km / h (my maximum speed is 90km / h)
actually i wanted to test the limit of the system
I will now devote myself to finding the ideal flow rate between 10 and 20% of my go consumption, I think it will be between 0,8 and 1,5L of water per hour

When my system failed, it was especially on the climb that I noticed the change, less power and especially a lot more black smoke at the exhaust outlet
I also noticed that my water consumption was limited to 0,7L / hour, impossible to consume more when the drip was opened wide, I first assumed that the hose was blocked or pinched, but no, in fact it was the exhaust gases that were pushing the other way, it was my headache of the summer !!

Another thing that I noticed, it can be interesting or dangerous, the air-water connection serves as a buffer space to receive the water when the engine is idling (red light, stop), instead of filling the gvi, the extra water passes into the air intake to accumulate until the next acceleration.
When I restart I therefore walk without air for a few minutes, the time that the overflow of water passes through the gvi to be brought to a boil. I guess it's interesting to have a surplus of water during acceleration, this is the time when we heat the reactor the most (with the climbs)
Provided of course, that the reactor has not cooled down too much during shutdown.

Which makes me say, that it can work for small stops, in case of prolonged stop, I will have to activate the solenoid valve as usual at the risk if not to send too much water at the next acceleration, to drown the reactor and above all to send water into the engine

0 x
Other

by Other » 21/09/08, 17:42

Hello
Another thing that I noticed, it can be interesting or dangerous, the air-water connection serves as a buffer space to receive the water when the engine is idling (red light, stop), instead of filling the gvi, the extra water passes into the air intake to accumulate until the next acceleration.
When I restart I therefore walk without air for a few minutes, the time that the overflow of water passes through the gvi to be brought to a boil. I guess it's interesting to have a surplus of water during acceleration, this is the time when we heat the reactor the most (with the climbs)

It is not at the time of acceleration that water must be sent, but after the acceleration when the heat is present in the steam generator and reactor, it is the heat that determines when water must be sent, an accumulation of water risks drowning the system
Depending on the physical dimensions (height) of the steam generator, an accumulation of water lowers the steam generator temperature below 100c, they are covered on the outside with black soot which is detrimental to heat exchange.
Why 2 inlet conduits in the air and water GV? only one air duct and you add the water in the same duct.
I avoid the accumulation of water in the GV I worked with an indicator of presence of water in the GV and an electrovalve to cut the water so as not to exceed a low water level 6 mm at bottom of the GV, I quickly understood that operating it dry and sending it water depending on the heat available was preferable.
you have to look for the minimum amount of water consumption where the consumption becomes as without doping with water and the maximum water consumption where the power makes it feel good, the best consumption is just below this power effect felt ..

The heat available in the exhaust is based on consomé diesel with a certain inertia
water to consumption is related to the diesel consomé

1,2 liters consumes less 6 liters of diesel in my case

Andre
0 x