test campaign with electricity consumption PM230

Various experiences made by members of the forums concerning in particular small household appliances and energy management.
ZeMogwaï
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Electric consumption test campaign with PM230

by ZeMogwaï » 10/03/08, 18:18

Hello everybody

I just found your very interesting site and this thread makes me react, because it seems to me that I can answer some questions.

Christophe wrote:1) ADSL Modem Router : 20,7 W when you unplug the router and just leave its tranfo we find: 18,4 W : Shock:
The router itself only consumes 2,3 W but its tranfo consumes 18,4! The efficiency of the system is therefore miserable 11,1%! : Evil: It's a safe bet that all small transformers have similar performance ... hence their warming!

Yes and no.

In fact, an empty "transformer" does not have the same efficiency as a load. This can be seen by measuring the differential on load (router plugged in). For example with the PM230 on one side, and an ammeter on the other, between the output of the "transformer" and the power input of the router.

In addition, there are currently 2 converter technologies, alias "AC adapter" or more commonly called "transformer":
- Those with transformer, precisely, and that heat a lot
- Those without transformers, either based on high voltage capacitance (capacitor) type voltage drop-offs, or based on switching power supply.

These last two, much lighter and less bulky, tend to replace the first.

It is known to electronics that switching power supplies do not work or not properly without a minimum load on their output.

Christophe wrote:Conclusions: disconnect our transformers from small electro device!

Always, if you want them to last a long time! : Wink:

About the "Fluocompact Tube Desk Lamp", the figure is indeed quite curious and perhaps indicates, at best, a malfunction of the device, at worst a deception of the goods!

Christophe wrote:3) PC (AMD64 3000 + with 2 hard drives + 3 ventillos extra extractions + 1 GB ram)
[...]
The cos phi is 0.99 probably because of the windy ???

No, surely not! : Wink: The fans are powered by direct current and nothing else than the power supply (switching) of the PC is connected to the sector in the tower. It is said power supply that generates this cos (phi).

Christophe wrote:4) Samsung SyncMaster 913V Flat Screen : 26 to 30 W (30 W at startup) it seems to consume a little less when it is hot.

For an 19 26 W I find it quite reputable.
There does not seem to be any variation depending on the "colors" of the screen. In other words, a very dark or very bright screen gives the same consumption ...

Yes, because the brightness of the screen is provided by fluorescent tubes placed behind the LCD screen whose pixels are opaque in front of their filter to darken the color they control. The conso is therefore constant unlike a CRT screen whose beam power projected on the screen must vary according to the brightness to give it.

Christophe wrote:
sebarmageddon wrote:under linux, the same computer consumes more, which is particularly zero

I noticed exactly the same thing!
Linux eats more resources than Windows but I think that it does not come from linux itself but from the GNU (graphical interface) which is in fact a "plugin" of linux ... while windows is in the Core ( if I say bullshit correct me computer scientists) ...

Ok : Cheesy:
On Windows, since I do not know which version (2000 or NT), a HALT instruction is sent to the processor when the operating system estimates that it has nothing to do for a while. I also remember that at that time, AMD processors did not manage well or did not manage this instruction, which made them heat more than the Intel, in addition to the fact that their internal structure generated a higher power consumption. 'electricity.

Under Linux, a similar system has certainly been implemented later (at least I hope so) : Cheesy:) but today's Linux kernel is less preemptive than Windows, so it's likely to be less efficient.

But over-consumption can also come from the graphical interface. Graphics cards being first optimized for Windows, I would not be surprised that it generates such a difference.

Sorry if I might have sounded a bit 'bring my science back' : Oops:

See you soon : Cheesy:
0 x
All that is economic must be ecological. Everything that is ecological can be economical.
Arthur_64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Arthur_64 » 10/03/08, 20:56

Regarding the management of power consumption under GNU / Linux, it is currently one of the priorities concerning the development of the kernel.

It's still quite handy at the moment, but it should work out!

I want to correct a statement by ZeMogwai:
If computers using GNU / Linux consume more than Windows computers, it's not because they consume more resources: globally, the same task performed under GNU / Linux uses less memory and resources in general than under Windows.

It is the management of energy itself that is fishing.
0 x
ZeMogwaï
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by ZeMogwaï » 11/03/08, 09:58

Arthur_64 wrote:I want to correct a statement by ZeMogwai:
If computers using GNU / Linux consume more than Windows computers, it's not because they consume more resources: globally, the same task performed under GNU / Linux uses less memory and resources in general than under Windows.

It is the management of energy itself that is fishing.

I totally agree with that, sorry if I could seem to say the opposite. : Cheesy:
0 x
All that is economic must be ecological. Everything that is ecological can be economical.
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/08/08, 20:31

0 x
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 26/12/08, 17:35

I just received my PM230 for kernel (I gave the address of the shop)

first test: my laptop.

Transfo connected alone (without the PC): 23 W
Portable + transformer: 45 W (same screen off) but not stable

Moral: the power of the laptop is taken on the battery, which recharges as soon as it needs (all 5 seconds, a little bit!)

This first test confirms me in my habit of cutting the power strip on which is plugged all my computer system (with external hdd, phone charger, etc ...) when I do not use it.
0 x
emmman
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by emmman » 21/10/09, 18:57

My measurements in watts:

PC (Core2duo 2,2 ghz)
idle: 91
Burn: 120
Off: 18
ALIM OFF Switch: 6

LCD screen 24 inches
PC in standby: 9
screen on: 39
OFF switch: 6

PS3
idle: 130
burn: 170

Projectors
Standby: 22
Walking: coming soon

Freebox ADSL

Freebox HD box
Standby: 18
ON: 22
ON with hard disk running: 25

Floor lamp (3x8W eco)

Induction hob
Standby: 7
120 degrees: 1080
160 degrees: 1460
240 degrees: 1820

Espresso machine
Standby: 0
Heater: 895
Pump: 102

coffee grinder
Standby: 0

5.1 US sound kit with voltage converter 220 -> 110
Standby: 34
On: 38
With sound: 45
OFF (switch on the back of the subwoofer): 4

Phone

Fridge-freezer 2 doors
On 24 hours:
0,48 Kwh, 5h19 min running time of the compressor.

Washer dryer
1 lathe, 40 cotton, 1200 towers, eco option, 50 min drying: 1,21 Kwh
0 x
emmman
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by emmman » 05/11/09, 00:38

I bought a certified 80 + power supply (80% minimum efficiency between 20 and 100% charge) for my PC to replace the original one. 350W, 40 euros.

The results :

With old power supply:
idle: 91
Burn: 120
Off: 18
ALIM OFF Switch: 6

With new power supply:
idle: 55
Burn: 77
Off: 13
ALIM OFF Switch: 0

Conclusion: We see that 350 W is still very very largely oversized ... But I have not found less at this price and with the certification 80 + ... There was a 220 W 80 + but at 60 euros the food would have taken too many years to make it profitable ...
The off PC still consumes 13W too much, given the position of the switch of the power supply it is not possible to cut it each time ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 05/11/09, 09:37

Well, I put a plug with a switch, well, I really cut everything: the printer, external hard drives, speakers, the screen ...

However, I also did a measurement campaign:

fridge + freezer (small A +): 2400 Wh / day
heating + circulator: also 2400 Wh / days (but I will put a tempo on the circulator: 70 W)
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/11/09, 09:41

+ 1, the simplest is a switch socket!

What do you mean by:
emmman wrote:Alim switch OFF

Is the switch "in" the pc power supply?
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 05/11/09, 19:17

Behind the PC, on the power supply there is an ON / OFF button.
Even stopped a PC still consumes a hair and a part of the motherboard remains powered. The button on the front is connected to the motherboard and operates at low voltage delivered by the power supply.
Similarly, the card remains powered so that the network or a USB device (depending on the model) can reactivate the PC.
So doing Start - Turning off is not enough. You must switch off with a real switch on the 220V, either on the power strip, or directly on the PC power supply. For Tower below the desk, it is true that we quickly abandon contortions to reach the little button behind the PC ...
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...