Standby power consumption of an induction hob?

Various experiences made by members of the forums concerning in particular small household appliances and energy management.
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 27/02/12, 16:05

It is also possible (even probable) that the plate in standby has a very low cosPhi.

It may even be a switching power supply, so no cosPhi, but a power factor.
0 x
Rebus
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Rebus » 27/02/12, 18:25

Gaston wrote:It is also possible (even probable) that the plate in standby has a very low cosPhi.

It may even be a switching power supply, so no cosPhi, but a power factor.

It is surely a switching system.

But if the Ecowatt indicates 100-110W plate at rest and 0,00 circuit breaker cut, without taking the value displayed as absolutely accurate value because of this cosPhi, there is still a significant consumption for nothing.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/02/12, 18:28

What does the edf counter say? If still an old record, take a stopwatch and estimate the consumption it measures ...
0 x
Rebus
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Rebus » 27/02/12, 18:33

Yes, that's an idea.
I would do that tomorrow in the sun because the meter is outside the fence.

But if the disk does not turn and the Ecowatt says 100W, I'll look it through!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/02/12, 18:41

Impossible that he does not turn at all ...

On the other hand, there is a calibration procedure to make ecowatt if you have a medium cos phi that is far from 1 ...

Explained here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/ecowatt-85 ... t8764.html
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 28/02/12, 10:13

Hello,

I can give a semi-opinion on your consumption.
I have a glass-ceramic plate. Everything is tactile, so standby consumption should be the same as yours.

But when I did the wasting hunt, I looked at what the meter said. If I had seen 100W, I would have jumped to the ceiling!

From memory, I had 20W continuously.
It included the hob, the boiler (not in heat, but still in standby), the TV recorder.
So I would say that the plate is max 10W. (which is already huge knowing that good TV arrive today at less than 1W for the day before).
I will try to make a more precise measure tonight.

Compared to a comment by Christophe at the beginning of the thread:
the pan detection or anti-overflow system should not be active when the hob is off. Only "tactile" buttons should consume.

In summary: 100W is way too much!
And difficult to put on a power strip with switch ... It would not fit very well in the kitchen! :?

Another thing: at a time when there are doubts about GSM antennas and mobile phones (which emit to 2W), I would be more dubious to buy a plate Induction which deposits in KW! : Evil:

This is only my opinion, but I'm hooked! : Cheesy:
0 x
Solar Production + VE + VAE = short cycle electricity
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/02/12, 10:22

indy49 wrote:And difficult to put on a power strip with switch ... It would not fit very well in the kitchen! :?

Yes but if the problem is real, we can imagine a nice wall switch ...

indy49 wrote:Another thing: at a time when there are doubts about GSM antennas and mobile phones (which emit to 2W), I would be more dubious to buy a plate Induction which deposits in KW! : Evil:

+ 1 I would be curious to know what gives this device: https://www.econologie.com/shop/detecteu ... p-143.html in front of an induction hob ...
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 28/02/12, 10:35

Christophe wrote:
indy49 wrote:Another thing: at a time when there are doubts about GSM antennas and mobile phones (which emit to 2W), I would be more dubious to buy a plate Induction which deposits in KW! : Evil:

+1
GSM uses an electromagnetic wave while the plate uses an oscillating magnetic field. Moreover they are not at all the same frequency bands ...

Which does not mean that there is no effect, but the comparison is irrelevant.

Christophe wrote: I would be curious to know what gives this device: https://www.econologie.com/shop/detecteu ... p-143.html in front of an induction hob ...
Probably he would detect something.
That said, since you have to put a pan on the plate to start, the pan acts as a screen and absorbs the vast majority of the magnetic field.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/02/12, 10:53

Gaston wrote:Probably he would detect something.
That said, since you have to put a pan on the plate to start, the pan acts as a screen and absorbs the vast majority of the magnetic field.

Yes it must deviate the energy but still ... at the time of the paranoid (justified in some cases) pollution EM ... it's pretty paradoxical!

I just remembered that I bought one extra (an induction hob) just to test ... I've never done!

This is the opportunity ... I must find it ... and I'll see if I find a compatible pan!

A ceramic vitro also emits a field ...
0 x
Rebus
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Rebus » 28/02/12, 12:42

Hello,

Thank you for the indication for a ceramic vitro.

The detection system on induction is still active, because curious thing if you put a pan, plate off nothing happens.
But if you put any object, cloth napkin the plate starts to beeping!

I will still check that the connection Phase / Neutral is respected, because if there is a reversal between the connection to the plate and the electrical panel ...

I will not talk about GSM or electromagnetic waves ...
Having worked all my life in the radiocommunication, I only made the choice now to no longer have a mobile phone.
0 x