Garden: landscaping, plants, garden, ponds and poolsMoisture meter vs. blood pressure monitor

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Tom ibex
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Moisture meter vs. blood pressure monitor

Unread Messageby Tom ibex » 29/06/20, 08:56

Hello,

in his latest book, in the chapter on water, p.325, Didier Helmstetter recommends the use of the blood pressure monitor. I wander a little compared to the price.
I can't find enough information regarding the disadvantages of the moisture meter compared to the blood pressure monitor.
The moisture meter seems more flexible, easier to use and costs less than the blood pressure monitor.

Has anyone used both and could they shed some light on this?
I am in sandy soil not far from the sea in southern Brittany

Goods.
0 x

Uncle Buzz
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Moisture meter vs. blood pressure monitor

Unread Messageby Uncle Buzz » 29/06/20, 09:48

Hello,
I did not buy, and therefore did not read (shame on me) Didier's 2nd book, so I do not know the context of his chapter on blood pressure monitors.

One of the great advantages of the tensiometer is that it does not measure the quantity of water in the soil, but its availability. Depending on the type of soil, for the same amount of water, water is more or less easy to extract. We can therefore for the same amount of water in the soil have in one soil a plant in its comfort zone, and in another soil a plant under water stress.

Knowing the humidity of the soil is therefore not enough, it is then necessary to correlate this measurement with the type of soil to know if there is enough water for the plants or not. When you work on a single soil, once you have learned the correlation, it comes down to the same thing because the soil becomes a constant and you learn to make the link between humidity and availability.

Regarding the cost of blood pressure monitors, it depends on what you want to do. Do you want an automatic statement with data backup? or just being able to know the tension of the ground whenever you want?

In the first case, these are products intended for professionals, it is expensive! It is possible for enlightened do-it-yourselfers to make it for not too expensive, but it takes the skills for manufacturing, possible programming for the connected part and troubleshooting if necessary.

For point measurement, there are digital blood pressure monitors from € 35. The disadvantage being that the blood pressure monitor is not a mobile sensor, there is an installation procedure, and the first measurement requires a few hours (1-2) to stabilize. So if you want to make readings at several points, ideally you need several sensors.
0 x
Uncle Buzz
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Moisture meter vs. blood pressure monitor

Unread Messageby Uncle Buzz » 29/06/20, 11:22

To illustrate the difference between the amount of water in the soil and availability:
2020-06-29_112051.png

source: https://www.latelierpaysan.org/IMG/pdf/76819159.pdf
0 x

Back to "Garden: landscaping, plants, garden, ponds and pools"