How to seal a pond, basin or pond without an EPDM cover?

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: How to seal a pond, basin or pond without an EPDM cover?

View Macro » 04/06/23, 20:20

If I had answered this subject I would also have told you about bentonite... A product that I have known for...30 years which is very effective and rather inexpensive to seal pools or retentions in natural materials...
0 x
Take revenge with your success. punished with your absence. Kill with your silence. Win with your joy of living
Christophe

View Christophe » 28/01/24, 13:43

Do you know where to find (easily*) Bentonite?

In some cat litters... : Mrgreen:

bentonite.jpg
bentonite.jpg (114.88 KiB) Viewed 1410 times

I just put 6L of it in my pond (to see if it raises the max level a little), it's like ice, it came to the L... it's around 10 kg, for 3€ at action ...(so €300 per ton...)

As a reminder, I put a transparent DIY tarpaulin, probably in polyethylene, so not a tarpaulin dedicated to ponds...)

As soon as it's a little damp it sticks really well to the hands...

Otherwise I don't know if I told you, I had dozens (hundreds?) of small fish last year (they were swarming all over the pond)... counting alvins is very difficult but I think there were survivors...

The ones I've seen are between 30 and 40mm at the moment.

* but in the end in terms of price this solution is only suitable for small jobs... for a pond of 100 m² it will cost you an arm and a leg...
0 x
Christophe

View Christophe » 29/01/24, 16:13

It looks like there's already a little improvement...Cool!

I crushed the bentonite well so that it would be "diluted" as much as possible with water. So the water is very cloudy but it will settle.

The idea is that the Bentonite focuses on the leaks...this will obviously take a little time.

I'm going to buy a few more bags...I read that you need 10 kg of Bentonite per m² of pond (but to do all the waterproofing...I already have a tarpaulin...).. .my pond must be 8 to 10 m².

To be continued...

ps: I put 5 goldfish (around 20 cm) there at the end of June, so given the date of the last message, I didn't tell you... even less for the alvins. I actually have a rather interesting anecdote about this...Are you interested?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View sicetaitsimple » 29/01/24, 16:43

Ah, the wine!
And its bentonite filtering!
https://www.vignevin-occitanie.com/fich ... bentonite/
1 x
Christophe

View Christophe » 29/01/24, 16:45

: Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

WHAT the f....!

Ah I understand better why Obistrot was the first to tell us about bentonite!!! Everything is explained sooner or later! : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View sicetaitsimple » 29/01/24, 16:48

You don't understand but it doesn't matter. Alvin, that's a word that doesn't exist.
0 x
Christophe

View Christophe » 29/01/24, 17:25

Roooh the other one!

And that’s chicken?

: Cheesy:

Okay and the story of my fish, do you want to know or not?
0 x
perplex
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

View perplex » 30/01/24, 10:23

I also have a pond, tell me about it! : Mrgreen:
1 x
The world is perfect !!!
Christophe

View Christophe » 30/01/24, 10:47

Ah finally ! : Mrgreen:

It's in 2 acts:

1 act

- At the end of June 2023, I put 5 already adult goldfish (approximately 20 cm) given to me by a friend,
- The pond has just been made, the water is very clear and there is no reef,
- The next day...2 fish were missing...probably swallowed by a heron or something else in the area...Oops!
- I put protective reefs: sanitary drainage pipes and some stones on the sides... Some stones (from the stream next door) have some algae.

From that moment on, I no longer see the 3 survivors even when I put food... they hide 24 hours a day in the pipes or under the stones (Who said a goldfish had a 30 second memory?)

I have to lift the pipes regularly to get them out and see that they are still there...

A few weeks later they have babies. There are hundreds of them...they don't hide or much less...the algae has grown a little, they can hide in it to avoid being gobbled up by the big ones.

The season ends and winter comes, I see fewer and fewer babies...I deduce that it's natural selection...

2 act

- Big frosts in January 2024, I have 4 to 5 cm of ice on the pond at the coldest
- Given the shallow depth (20 cm) I fear total capture, so I will regularly monitor the thickness of the ice and add "warm" water (= from the stream, not frozen)
- This is where I notice that the fish, under the surface ice, stop hiding...including last year's little ones (which are now 3 to 4 cm). The latter were mainly hiding on the banks of the pond and there are still dozens of them... I thought they were all caned!
- Can we conclude that the fish know (and months after the attack on the first day...there may have been others afterwards but still...) that they are protected by a layer of ice ? Certainly !

Not a bad experience in biology and animal cognition, eh?

Conclusion again: goldfish have more memory than covidists and macronists! : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:

ps: there is a trout farm in the village so the herons don't really have to eat my goldfish (but red is better seen than a tall fario!)...it reminds me of beavers, which eat the willows on my bank but not on the other : Evil:
The pro-biodiversity eco pseudonyms and OFB officials ( https://www.ofb.gouv.fr/ ) who live in the city may not experience this kind of problem...

Too bad for them (and especially for those who suffer the acts), they would undoubtedly be less fascist! : Mrgreen:
1 x
perplex
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

View perplex » 30/01/24, 12:57

Very beautiful story which can only interest those who have a pelvis. : Mrgreen:
I have a very small pool at the moment, around 2m³, it's recreational.
Little anecdote, two years ago I left the filter pump in the middle of winter thinking that the movement would prevent freezing.
Big mistake, one night a little colder the waterfall froze, the pool was completely frozen, but not the pump.

I arrived in the morning with almost no water...The pump had emptied the pool onto the ice, I took some photos.
My 7 little tenants are happy for the moment despite the daily visit of the two cats, and one day a magnificent heron, I came by in time to avoid the worst...The pond was too complicated for him.

Image in spring

2 x
The world is perfect !!!