The batteries of the future doped plastic and seaweed

Innovations, ideas or patents for sustainable development. Decrease in energy consumption, reduction of pollution, improvement of yields or processes ... Myths or reality about inventions of the past or the future: the inventions of Tesla, Newman, Perendev, Galey, Bearden, cold fusion ...
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

The batteries of the future doped plastic and seaweed

by Targol » 02/01/07, 16:14

01net wrote:Smaller, more powerful and more enduring, the batteries of tomorrow will owe their performance to their electrodes, designed with materials to say the least original ...

Many scientists believe that today's rechargeable batteries have reached their limits. In terms of power, manufacturing cost, lifespan, but also comfort of use: they must be recharged frequently and for several hours ... And they are not the owners of laptops, mobiles, PDAs or players that will contradict them!

Almost instant charging

The fuel cell should make it possible to push these limits, which has earned it the status of the battery of the future. But researchers continue to bet on traditional batteries and, for some, bet on electric accumulators like capacitors (or supercapacitors), the principle of which is to store electricity between two electrodes. It is moreover these electrodes which are the subject of all their attention, because they influence the storage capacity of an accumulator. Without giving themselves the word, French and American researchers thus had the same idea: to use new materials to manufacture these electrodes, while following different tracks: algae at CNRS, nanotubes at MIT, plastic at Brown University ...

Their first prototypes, very promising, make it possible to envisage the production of accumulators smaller than the current rechargeable batteries, up to a hundred times more powerful, capable of recharging in a few moments, and with much greater autonomy. Accumulators which will prove, moreover, more economical and more ecological because without heavy metals dangerous to handle - and harmful to the environment - like lithium.

Fortified to plastics

Incredible, but true: a battery that charges as quickly as a capacitor ... and uses plastic as an electrical conductor! This is the result of research carried out by Brown University in Rhode Island. To achieve this feat, American scientists mixed two different plastics - polymers discovered by the three Nobel Prize winners in chemistry awarded in 2000 - with a substance that corrects their properties. A strip of plastic film covered with gold was coated with one of the modified polymers; and a second, on the other. The two strips were pressed against each other, simply separated by a thin insulating membrane. Result: not only does this prototype battery charge in a few minutes, but it is also smaller than a standard alkaline battery, for a power hundred times greater!
ImageThanks to its plastic electrodes, the Brown University battery recharges in just a few minutes.

Seaweed fed

A supercapacitor which would keep 85% of its nominal capacity after being recharged 10 times, ie a lifespan at least ten times longer than that of a lithium battery! This is the result of the Center for Research on Divided Matter (CRMD), a joint unit of the CNRS and the University of Orléans. To achieve this, the research team, led by François Béguin, turned to the sea, and more particularly to brown algae. Because alginic acid, a fibrous substance located in their cell wall, offers an interesting property: it is naturally rich in oxygen, and remains so after being reduced by cooking in the state of carbon. Even richer than activated carbon, the main component of the two electrodes of a traditional supercapacitor! However, the oxygen trapped in these electrodes allows them to absorb the current more easily.

Researchers tested their theories using charred alginic acid (sodium alginate) salts to make electrodes. Knowing that the extraction of sodium alginate is an activity that is already in full swing (the food and pharmaceutical industries gobble up more than 20 tonnes each year), that its transformation into coal costs less than the production of activated carbon , and that it is more ecological, the use of algae may well be widespread ...
ImageIt is a brown alga of the same family as this one (the variety is kept secret) which makes it possible to manufacture the indestructible electrodes of the CNRS.

Swollen with nanotubes

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) capacitor would be more powerful than a battery of the same size! When we know that the most efficient current capacitors store 25 times less energy than a chemical battery of equivalent size, we measure the scope of the project on which MIT is working. The idea of ​​American researchers? Cover the electrodes of the capacitors with millions of small carbon tubes, thirty thousand times thinner than a hair: nanotubes.

A process that overcomes the main handicap of the capacitor: its capacity to store energy is proportional to the area of ​​its electrodes, which, in other words, means that the smaller its electrodes, the less it can store electricity. By covering its electrodes with nanotubes, we increase, in a certain way, their surface; a bit like a terry towel which, thanks to its honeycomb fibers, manages to contain much more water than a simple piece of fabric ... With the result of considerably increasing the storage capacity of the condenser.
ImageThe millions of carbon nanotubes lining each electrode of the MIT capacitor transform it into a real electric sponge.

source: 01net
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Bravo

by jean63 » 07/01/07, 01:37

Not all read, but it's the future .... if we manage to store electricity in quantity and duration, we won the battle to save the planet (thanks to photovoltaic cells and electric vehicles + LED which use little energy to light). But will there still be time? oil will not have done its dirty work until the end (melting of the poles, warming, cooling, ... climatic disasters).

Their first prototypes, very promising, make it possible to envisage the production of accumulators smaller than the current rechargeable batteries, up to a hundred times more powerful, capable of recharging in a few moments, and with much greater autonomy. Accumulators which will prove, moreover, more economical and more ecological because without heavy metals dangerous to handle - and harmful to the environment - like lithium

and ecologically speaking it's great.

Hopefully Homo Debilis will really become Sapiens soon enough before it's too late!
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
pollux
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pollux » 07/01/07, 15:32

yippee

this article has just given me hope !!
the advent of cleaner and lighter batteries finally makes it possible to envisage the development of light, long-range electric vehicles.
all that remains is to find a way to generate enough electricity without using fossil or nuclear energy.

this is the good news that I needed at the start of the year, too hot for a winter.
0 x
criticism is necessary, but the invention is vital because in any invention there is a criticism of the convention ...
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 07/01/07, 19:32

all that remains is to find a way to generate enough electricity without using fossil or nuclear energy.

Well yes there is! it's up to you to invent the engineers.

That the price of photovoltaic cells is already lowered and that EDF buys electricity as expensive from individuals as in Germany and I put it on my roof. There is a pilot city in Germany stuffed with sensors of all kinds, it is Freiburg.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
pollux
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pollux » 07/01/07, 20:39

photovoltaic, okay, but not silicon ... polymers and titanium dioxide will help us with that.

but I’m afraid it’s not enough solar. it will take Z-machines well developed to allow us to spend such high electricity.

I didn't choose the right orientation to invent this kind of stuff. I will be an aeronautical engineer, specializing in avionics and control systems (automatician what) ...
I will be satisfied with the automatic pilot part of electric velomobiles of the year 2030 ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
criticism is necessary, but the invention is vital because in any invention there is a criticism of the convention ...
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 07/01/07, 23:57

but I’m afraid it’s not enough solar. it will take Z-machines well developed to allow us to spend such high electricity.

do you really believe in these z-machines?
0 x
pollux
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pollux » 08/01/07, 07:00

no more than that, but I believe more than ITER ... : Mrgreen:

and you have to believe in something if you don't want to end up being ecological and depressive. : Cry:

because if solar power is theoretically capable of providing for the needs of humanity by covering a small percentage of the territory, this percentage represents so much surface area in km² that it is impossible to consider this scenario as being the absolute panacea.
and if we take stock, there was oil, we don't want coal (poop! : Evil: ), wind power is very insufficient and irregular, the current photovoltaic system is polluting and too expensive, nuclear power is not good (cacaaaaa !! : Evil: : Evil: ), biomass is not enough to provide a tenth of what we consume ... and all the combined renewable energies are not as powerful as some good nuclear power plants ...
so of course energy efficiency can help, but it won't be enough. to replace our aging plants, we need a source of the same power and the same regularity. that's why I'm thinking of the Z-machine. this is the thing closest to the nuclear power plant in terms of power (for regularity .... uuuuuuuh ... we will have to work on this a bit.)

improving energy vectors is not bad already, the new batteries will perhaps nip in the bud the hydrogen "energy" with which we are promised cleanliness and a new source of energy when it comes to of an energy vector ... : Evil: : Evil: and just for that, I'm happy ...
I know, I don't need much ...

POLLux.
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 08/01/07, 08:50

because if solar power is theoretically capable of providing for the needs of humanity by covering a small percentage of the territory, this percentage represents so much surface area in km² that it is impossible to consider this scenario as being the absolute panacea.
and if we take stock, there was no oil, we don't want coal (poop!), wind power is very insufficient and irregular, the current photovoltaic system is polluting and too expensive, nuclear power is not good (cacaaaaa !!), the biomass is not enough to ensure the tenth of what we consume ... and all the ENR combined are not as powerful as some good nuclear power plants ...

Correct: all this is very well explained with supporting figures in JM Jancovici's book "Le plein SVP" (cheap 16 euros I think) and also in his website www.manicore.com
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 08/01/07, 11:21

Pollux wrote:no more than that, but I believe more than ITER ... : Mrgreen:
To replace our aging plants, we need a source of the same power and the same regularity. that's why I'm thinking of the Z-machine. this is the thing closest to the nuclear power plant in terms of power (for regularity .... euuuuuuuh ... will have to work a little on that.) PoLLux.

Hello Pollux,
The problem is that for the moment, there is no funding planned to do research on the z-pinch technique, everything is swallowed up by ITER, which, as it stands, is not not even planned to generate electricity!
0 x
pollux
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pollux » 08/01/07, 15:22

hi cuicui,

I never said it was all pink ...

just don't give up hope.
0 x