Oversize the boiler, the buffer tank ...

Innovations, ideas or patents for sustainable development. Decrease in energy consumption, reduction of pollution, improvement of yields or processes ... Myths or reality about inventions of the past or the future: the inventions of Tesla, Newman, Perendev, Galey, Bearden, cold fusion ...
BaudouinLabrique
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Oversize the boiler, the buffer tank ...

by BaudouinLabrique » 24/02/18, 16:30

Most habitats have an electric boiler for the production of domestic hot water (DHW).

Some are also equipped with a heat exchanger (water-water) like buffer tank that improves the performance of a heating system: solar thermal panels, heat pumps, cogeneration ...

Unfortunately, the envelope meant to reduce the loss of heat is far too thin.

Result : a loss of several degrees of temperature in a short time and increased power consumption or other.
I applied the advice of Test-Achats (Belgium) which is to add around, above and if possible underneath (or even more) of glass wool (°) or rock, taking care of the connections so that the air does not pass. We secure everything with a self-adhesive aluminum strip.

I noticed that for my hot water boiler as for my buffer tank, the daily loss has reduced to less than one degree (instead of 3 to 4 °) and the savings that go with: Test- Purchases calculated that the loss for a single boiler rose to more than 600kWh per year!
The potential annual savings (for an electric boiler) will then rise to more than 150 € (price in Belgium: 0,25 € / kWh).
The investment of the recommended insulation (glass wool (°) or rock) wrapped in a thick foil of aluminum) is reduced in 6 months only and requires less than one hour of installation!

You also make a gesture for the protection of the planet, because for the only boiler thus treated you will save at least 100kg of CO2 per year (which corresponds to 1000km by car).

° I advise to use rock wool that has the same thermal coefficient as glass wool, because it requires the use of gloves and goggles.

See More tips for savingr
1 x
«There are those who see things as they are and wonder why. Me, I see them as they could be and I say to myself: why not! (Sir Bernard Shaw)
« The future belongs to those who see the possibilities before they become obvious. (Theodore Levitt).
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Surisoler the boiler, the buffer tank ...

by Ahmed » 24/02/18, 18:48

You also make a gesture for the protection of the planet, because for the only boiler thus treated you will save at least 100kg of CO2 per year (which corresponds to 1000km by car).

How quickly can we consider that this "gesture for the protection of the planet" (sic) justifies a short stay in the Seychelles?
2 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 24/02/18, 22:14

at home, the cumulus is in the room, so the losses are used to heat the room and are not losses (the room has no other heating)
And in summer it is a solar water heater that produces hot water, the cumulus in the room is stopped.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 23/05/23, 17:34

Hello,
My ball is in a corridor. I took advantage of 6 cm insulating panels recovered from the recycling center to over-insulate it.
It's a 200l.
I had measured its temperature maintenance consumption without water consumption, during an absence of more than 24 hours: 2.15 kWh/day as in this document https://www.apper-solaire.org/Pages/Fic ... /index.pdf

Left for a few days, I took the opportunity to measure the new consumption:
ECS absence.gif
ECS absence.gif (10.44 KiB) Viewed 963 times
By removing the average consumption from the rest: 35 Wh, I still save 955 Wh/day and 348 kWh/year

I probably would have done better if I had glued the cut corners with polyurethane foam.
IMG_20230523_163509.jpg
IMG_20230523_163509.jpg (49.73 KB) Viewed times 963
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 23/05/23, 20:30

izentrop wrote: I still save 955 Wh/day and 348 kWh/year

It's perfect!
So just to nitpick a little, it may be a little overestimated because when you are present you will draw water over the day and therefore the average temperature of your balloon will gradually drop, and therefore its losses too . But it's nitpicking! :D
I had also once read a consistent "trick", when your balloon is rather oversized compared to your needs and therefore it recharges in a short time, not to allow it to be heated (by a simple plug programmable) only around 2 or 3 a.m., instead of its automatic start at off-peak time changeover at 22 p.m. That way there were 4 or 5 hours more over 24 hours more "cold" on average, hence less heat loss. But this is super nitpicking!
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 23/05/23, 20:57

sicetaitsimple wrote:So just to nitpick a little, it may be a little overestimated because when you are present you will draw water over the day and therefore the average temperature of your balloon will gradually drop, and therefore its losses too . But it's nitpicking!
Of course, but the goal was to measure the loss only by the insulation. If you draw water the calculation is no longer valid. That's why I was waiting for an absence of at least 24 hours to avoid turning off the hot water.

I'm correcting, because I hadn't noticed that the graduations were every half hour, so the average daily consumption for May 20 was (2,65 - 2,13)/23 = 61,7 Wh. Economy: (2,15 - (1,23 - 0,062)) = 0,98

Suddenly the saving is around 1kWh/day and 365 kWh/year.
1 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 23/05/23, 22:19

1kwh is not bad

And for an electrical incident in the equipment or water leak, under the tank, do you dismantle the bottom?

And if it heats up in secret it ignites?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/05/23, 02:12

gegyx wrote:1kwh is not bad
And for an electrical incident in the equipment or water leak, under the tank, do you dismantle the bottom?
The resistor and probe are underneath and are undisturbed by the insulation, which is only added to the sides and top.
The cumulus is on a tripod, which made it possible to put an insulating panel on the wall side, with threaded rods for fixing.
gegyx wrote:And if it heats up in secret it ignites?
There are safeguards to prevent this.
The probe is followed by an electronic card.
At worst if the control remains blocked closed, the resistance will heat up to cause boiling and will perhaps burn out before that without risking a fire.
Without having done it on purpose, I have a fire detector placed just above ...

See also this forum https://forum.apper-solaire.org/viewtop ... 1&start=30

In normal use (2 people in previous weeks): 2,5 to 5 kWh/day.
0 x

Go back to "Innovations, inventions, patents and ideas for sustainable development"