Ideas for a battery 100% recyclable and non-polluting

Innovations, ideas or patents for sustainable development. Decrease in energy consumption, reduction of pollution, improvement of yields or processes ... Myths or reality about inventions of the past or the future: the inventions of Tesla, Newman, Perendev, Galey, Bearden, cold fusion ...
slambert
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Ideas for a battery 100% recyclable and non-polluting

by slambert » 23/11/09, 13:07

Hello everyone !

I work for a site that allows the resolution of scientific or technical problems, and one of the problems is to discover how to make a recyclable and non-polluting battery.

So I'm advertising, but advertising for a good cause!
It would be necessary that this problem is diffused to the maximum so that, if someone in France or in the world to the solution, it can give it.

The solution is rewarded with 20000 $ and it would obviously be a big step for everyone to find out how to make an eco battery.

We can see the problem here: http://www.hypios.com/problems

Feel free to ask me questions and spread the info!

Stéphane Lambert
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/11/09, 14:13

Making a biodegradable, clean and efficient battery is worth more than 20 000 $ ...

Finally, it should not be too quickly biodegradable either.

And lithium batteries are much less harmful to the environment than lead or cadium ...

In fact I do not understand the interest of the site that you quote : Shock: :?:
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 23/11/09, 14:22

It seems to me much more useful to find the solution to make accumulators which do not wear out, therefore which do not have to be recycled for a very long time: the solution is perhaps the supercapacitors which are currently being tested in several labs. ... it's quite close to the energy cells of science fiction films, (but we are still far from the zero point potential extractors of "Stargate" ...) : Cheesy:
0 x
slambert
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by slambert » 23/11/09, 14:37

Thanks for the answers ! There is activity here ^^

To answer you Christophe, someone who would have the solution could ask more, it's just the starting reward.

The interest of the site in my opinion, especially for ecology, is that as anyone can solve problems, as long as he has a good idea, it can bring out new solutions.

And if a box says that developing a particular process more environmentally friendly is too expensive / too complicated, it is possible to put it to the test and test its good faith by telling him to pose the problem on a such site.

If an ecological solution has a problem, it will no longer be possible to pretend otherwise ...

That said, I work for this site as I said from the start, and I wish it could serve to solve problems like this!
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 23/11/09, 14:39

Ah yes the famous EPPZ, in the VO they say ZPM I think. I always wondered what that acronym meant. : Cheesy:
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 23/11/09, 15:13

Hello,

I think these batteries already exist and are used in South Africa and some armies.
These are the air zincs which have very high energy density (1200Wh / kg) and which can be "recharged" by the average user.
Their only problem is that they do not provide strong currents (100 has 200 ma / cm²) and they have a rather high discharge rate!
An example :
http://www.revolttechnology.com/res/pre ... 280307.pdf

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 23/11/09, 16:00

Here is an aluminum / air battery to be made even with some items available to all:

http://exo.net/~pauld/activities/AlAirB ... ttery.html
:D
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 23/11/09, 16:08

Aluminum / air batteries are 7 times better than lead acid batteries.

Source: http://aluminum.org/AM/Template.cfm?Sec ... ntID=15793

Technology Insights
Aluminum Air Fuel Cell Becoming Commercially Viable

Warren HuntWhile aluminum's attributes in saving energy are highly publicized, perhaps well known to the material's potential role in generating energy. Developments started over 25 years ago on an aluminum-air fuel cell are now beginning to be commercialized in a range of applications from cell phones to PCs to electric vehicles. How does the aluminum-air fuel cell work? What advantages does it have over batteries and portable power sources? Who is producing these products? Read further to learn more.

Warren H. Hunt,
Jr., Ph.D., FASM
To ask Warren Hunt
questions, please
call (202) 862-5119

TheTechnology
The aluminum-air fuel cell consists of an aluminum alloy anode, placed in a saline or alkaline electrolyte, which reacts with oxygen from the air or another source. Electricity is produced as the aluminum oxidizes. Physically, a typical cell consists of aluminum alloy plates and a gas diffusion cathode coupled by an electrolyte. When the aluminum alloy is consumed during the electrochemical reaction, a new plate is inserted and the reaction continues. The fuel cell is actually part of the battery, part fuel cell. Like a battery, the fuel is consumed within the cell. Like a fuel cell, the oxidant, in this case oxygen, is stored outside the cell and provided to the cathode as required

Aluminum Anodes
As you might expect, there are some points of interest in the production of aluminum-air fuel cells.

One aspect was related to the aluminum anodes. By nature, aluminum is corrosion resistant, as a result of the adherent aluminum oxide film that forms naturally on its surface. For use in the fuel cell, however, the material is electrochemically active in the presence of the electrolyte. This has been accomplished by alloying the aluminum with other proprietary elements.

On the cathode side, delivering the oxygen to the cell

Another issue was the formation of aluminum hydroxide as a by-product of the reaction, which would form a gel-like substance on the anode and reduce the reaction rate. Here the additive to the electrolyte that causes the aluminum hydroxide to form in crystalline powdered form, which falls to the bottom of the cell leaving the reaction surface on the anode clear and active.

Military Apps
The development work on metal-air fuel cells in general and the aluminum-air system in particular dates back some 25 years. The driving force was the need for reliable, lightweight power sources for military and space applications, where the weight or limited shelf life of traditional batteries would be unacceptable. Aluminum was a desirable choice for the metal "fuel" since it was lightweight, has a very high energy density, and is recyclable. As a result, successful although expensive fuel cells were designed and constructed. Power system for underwater exploration were developed which delivered ten times more power than the nickel-cadmium batteries it replaced, and also substantially reduced the time taken to recharge a vehicle. Another high performance application was for the Special Forces, in which the battery with a shelf life of greater than 10 years is wrapped in a watertight wrap for shipment and storage, and then activated by the addition of water when the power is required. A company called Fuel Cell Technologies Ltd. in Canada supplied these applications.

Hybrid Electric Vehicles
Today there is an interest in lightweight fuel cells for a range of applications. Probably the one that has garnered the most recent attention in hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs). According to experts, HEVs will start up in the US market because they use less batteries than electric vehicles, charge themselves on the road, are much friendlier to the environment, and are more fuel efficient than gasoline-powered cars and trucks.

While some of the HEVs will be used nickel metal hydride, including aluminum-air fuel cell. One company, Alupower Inc. (acquired from Alcan by ENER-TEK in 1994), reports that aluminum-air fuel cells can extend the range of 75 km using lead-acid batteries to 300 km. They note that the fuel cells are over seven times more energy dense by weight and less than one-seventh of the space of commercial lead-acid batteries. They are however on the order of the times more expensive, so the cost-benefit trade-off is important. Watch this area for continuing developments.

Portable power
Another promising area of ​​application is in supplying portable power for cellular phones and laptop computers, in what has been described as "personal electricity". The aluminum-air fuel cell is said to be up to 75 times more energy dense than lithium-ion fuel cells. In these applications, light weight as well as small package size is important.

One company, Aluminum-Power, Inc., has been focusing their efforts on producing small aluminum-air cells for cellular phones. The company has announced that it has provided enough power for an aluminum-air fuel cell they have developed.

25 hours of talk time and 240 hours of stand-by power.

Key to their technology is a sealed "quick-change" cartridge containing the aluminum anode. Once the cartridge is used, it will be able to be recycled curbside with aluminum cans. The planned arrival in 2004 of the third generation (3G) cell phone technology, which is expected to require even more portable power, is expected to be the large growth market for these products.

Due to the scaleable nature of the technology, it can also be used in other larger-scale applications. Aluminum-air fuel cells are expected to find a market in telecommunications and Internet service providers that need fail-safe backup electricity, with computers chip makers that can not tolerate power outages, at banks to keep ATM systems running, and in supermarkets to protect perishables.

Other potential applications include home power in regions where high power costs or the absence of a power grid prevents the use of electricity as well as fuel for portable generators, to replace diesel generation with a pollution-free alternative. Portable power systems are a particular focus of a company called Voltek, which manufactures a product called "Fuel Pak" that is designed for emergency power, marine, and camping applications as well as for forklift trucks.

Costs?
What are we talking about dollar-wise? The market for fuel cells in the applications discussed above is growing rapidly. A 1998 report by BCC, Inc. pegs the estimated size of the fuel cell market at $ 1.3 billion by 2003, growing at a rate of nearly 30% per year. Of this, BCC estimated that the aluminum-fuel cell market was $ 2 million in 1998 and would grow to $ 25 million by 2003. Other recent reports suggest that the market is currently $ 1 billion and will grow to $ 10 billion in the near future, suggesting a more rapid expansion than predicted even by the BCC study.

About the Author
Dr. Warren H. Hunt Jr. is the founder and president of Aluminum Consultants Group Inc. Established in 1996, Aluminum Consultants Group Inc. provides comprehensive support for all aspects of aluminum metallurgy, processes and products. As a network of independent experts with extensive experience in industry, academia, and government, Aluminum Consultants Group, Inc. has excellent capabilities over a wide range of market and technical areas.

Prior to forming Aluminum Consultants, Dr. Hunt had a 19-year career with Alcoa Technical Center, one of the world's largest light metals research laboratories. At Alcoa, he focused on the conceptualization, development, and implementation of new aluminum alloys and metal matrix composites to meet customer needs in a range of markets. At Alcoa, Dr. Hunt served as a leading competency leader for integrating materials, product design and manufacturing. In addition, it provides support to Alcoa's manufacturing facilities in aluminum alloy processing and technical marketing.

His efforts have resulted in both the alloy and processing fields. He has received recognition for his professional excellence, among them selection as a Fellow of ASM International and two IR 100 awards. Dr. Hunt has extensively read in the field of advanced aluminum materials, published by 35 technical papers, and edited three books.

Dr. Hunt received his Vanderbilt University, MS and Ph.D. from Carnegie Mellon University. He serves as an adjunct professor at Case Western Reserve University.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.

Criticism is good if added to some compliments.

Alain
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 23/11/09, 16:49

Obelix wrote:Hello,

I think these batteries already exist and are used in South Africa and some armies.
These are the air zincs which have very high energy density (1200Wh / kg) and which can be "recharged" by the average user.
Their only problem is that they do not provide strong currents (100 has 200 ma / cm²) and they have a rather high discharge rate!
An example :
http://www.revolttechnology.com/res/pre ... 280307.pdf

Obelix

We're not talking about the same thing, I'm talking about densities of around 10 kWh / kg and a self-discharge rate comparable to lithium and this technology is absolutely not marketed because it is still experimental. We are heading towards superconduction: whoever succeeds at room temperature has won the "jack pot" because that will lead to a giant leap in everything that is moved by electricity ...
by the way: ZPM = "zero point module" (vacuum energy extractor) ...
Scientists very seriously consider superconducting energy modules (accumulators) in crystalline form, which means that SF films are sometimes not so SF that ... if not in the scale. .
0 x
binbins4
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by binbins4 » 23/11/09, 18:13

here is a link, a battery nanocarbon -80 degree for now, this may be just words, we do not know who is speaking, if his walk that walk could store energy and travel by boat, truck Train

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xra8 ... cteur_news
0 x