Insulation: glass wool more expensive than cellulose?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Christophe

Insulation: glass wool more expensive than cellulose?

by Christophe » 24/01/08, 16:05

As the info is quite important I take it up in a subject, source of the figures on cellulose: https://www.econologie.com/forums/isoler-des ... t4708.html

Christophe wrote:: shock: I just compared the costs with glass wool!

Hang on tight: glass wool is much more expensive with equivalent thermal resistance than cellulose.

A) So let's take an 100% cellulose insulation in our case: R of 6.6 for 42 m² for 428.40 € TTC either (I repeat): 428.40 / 42 = 10.20 € TTC per m² for R = 6.6 (26 cm)

B) According to leroy merlin catalog 291 page:

We read: 10,03 € / m² for an R of 3.10 either 21.35 € / m2 for an 6.5 R!

Conclusion:

Glass wool is therefore 21.35 / 10.20 = 2.09 times more expensive than cellulose. In other words: glass wool is 109% more expensive than loose cellulose or cellulose is 53% cheaper than glass wool ...
Last edited by Christophe the 24 / 01 / 08, 19: 32, 1 edited once.
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 24/01/08, 18:46

Amazing this comparative info. And still it is not the most expensive glass wool, in panels it is a little more I think.

Otherwise, by searching the LMerlin site, I found this:
http://www.leroymerlin.fr/mpng2-front/p ... -render=on

Glass wool in roll thickness 260mm for R = 6,5 to 8,58 / m2!
Find the error! what is the difference between the 2 glass wools?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/01/08, 19:20

Ah ... it's already more "normal" (well ...) ... it doesn't prevent you can check for yourself in the catalog, all synthetic insulators are more expensive (or so I missed the "1st prize" page ???): https://www.econologie.com/construire-et ... -3482.html

Otherwise 1st prize in 200 I found this on the LM site:

Indicated price :
31.80 EUR
4,91 EUR / m2

long. 5.40 mx width. 1.20, thickness: 200 mm, thermal resistance: 5 R.

Shit, I should have checked the info before posting ... I look a bit stupid now ... : Mrgreen:

ps: it's marked "semi" rigid ... maybe that's the difference?
Last edited by Christophe the 24 / 01 / 08, 19: 29, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/01/08, 19:29

Page 281 there is 1st price wool in rolls (2.79 € / m² per 100 mm) but above all there is in bulk! It is with the bulk that we must compare ...

Jme launch!

A) Wool in rolls:

2.79 € / m² for R of 2.50 i.e. 7.36 € / m² for R of 6.6

Ah it's already more "normal" ...

B) Bulk wool

10 cm = 6 kg / m², lambda = 0.042, so you also need 28 cm to make 6.6 or 16.8 kg / m² or 20.09 € / m² (1.196 € / kg in 25 kg bag)!

So synthetic bulk wool is more expensive than cellulose! And I was not far with my 109% ... :) :)

Phew I didn't get it all wrong! My honor is safe! : Mrgreen:
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 26/01/08, 10:14

Christophe wrote:Ah ... it's already more "normal" (well ...) ... it doesn't prevent you can check for yourself in the catalog, all synthetic insulators are more expensive (or so I missed the "1st prize" page ???): https://www.econologie.com/construire-et ... -3482.html

Well what I found is not the 1st prize, it's isover!

Christophe wrote:10 cm = 6 kg / m², lambda = 0.042, so you also need 28 cm to make 6.6 or 16.8 kg / m² or 20.09 € / m² (1.196 € / kg in 25 kg bag)!

So synthetic bulk wool is more expensive than cellulose! And I was not far with my 109% ...

Phew I didn't get it all wrong! My honor is safe!

Yeah, you were hot but it's true that you find a bit of everything as a price. I had an Isover brochure where it is explained that they now make Lambda wools 0,040, 0,038, 0,035 and 0,032 hence very different prices for M3.
However, the wadding could still be cheaper!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/01/08, 10:46

Isover also has a 1st price range, right?

bham wrote:However, the wadding could still be cheaper!

Yes everything could be cheaper and then it could be free too? What are you basing yourself on to say that? Because it is a waste? Because of Canadian prices (to be checked ...)?

The unposed price is very cheap considering the volumes produced compared to chemical insulation and the fact that it is an "ecological" thing. (just the term green often leads to an overcharging of the market : ecology not econological what ...) ... which them anyway will rise more than natural insulators with the price of oil ...

For the price posed I don't know but wait until I do the counterproduction of the "homemade" installation ... you will have another argument against cellulose ... : Mrgreen:

Cellulose is anyway the least expensive natural insulator so let's not quibble ... and between that and 1st price glass wool there is no picture (for me at least ... the others are doing what 'they want ... but you just have to be "stupid", sorry, to buy a chemical equivalent twice as expensive ...)

ps: I think that we should not speak in price per m3 but in price per m² for R fixed (style 6) ....
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 26/01/08, 11:06

Christophe wrote:
bham wrote:However, the wadding could still be cheaper!

Yes everything could be cheaper and then it could be free too? What are you basing yourself on to say that? Because it is a waste? Because of Canadian prices (to be checked ...)? ....

Don't exaggerate, I never asked for someone to give it to me. I would just like to know if the sale price is indeed based on the production price + what margins? or if it is indexed on other insulators like many new products.
About waste, you are aware that we pay for paper a 1st time, by buying the press for example, a 2nd time to have the right to dispose of it in our trash cans (and again it is I who sort) and possibly a 3rd time to pay for its transformation into insulation. (well, that's normal) :|

Christophe wrote:The unposed price is very cheap considering the volumes produced compared to chemical insulation and the fact that it is an "ecological" thing. (just the term green often leads to an overcharging of the market : ecology not econological what ...) ... which them anyway will rise more than natural insulators with the price of oil ....
Why would they be more expensive (chemicals), they will be manufactured with "nuclear" furnaces if this is not already the case. And worse since everyone will rush to the insulation, there will be a bigger production .... :D

Christophe wrote:but you just have to be "stupid", sorry, to buy a chemical equivalent twice as expensive ...

It is not me that must be convinced, I already am.

Christophe wrote:ps: I think that we should not speak in price per m3 but in price per m² for R fixed (style 6) ....

Disagree, the comparison is easier to m3 and equal lambda because for your R you do not always find the same according to the insulation and the thickness.
0 x