The bubbler on automobile

Water injection in thermal engines and the famous "pantone engine". General informations. Press clippings and videos. Understanding and scientific explanations on the injection of water into engines: ideas for assemblies, studies, physico-chemical analyzes.
neant
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by neant » 22/04/06, 09:21

tryf wrote:Hello
Aluminum is not a super heat conductor, however:
aluminum pans take more time to heat than stainless steel pans.
maybe cast iron is still - good heat conductor than aluminum?
but I do not think so.
the heating speed of the cabin is due to heating resistances.
They heat the water at the start (on recent vehicles).
tryf

And more generally, a material that conducts electricity well, conducts heat well, otherwise, copper is a little better conductor of heat than aluminum.
0 x
lau
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by lau » 22/04/06, 12:41

Paradoxically I believe that the alumina oxide does not have a beneficial effect for the engine in the case of a use as a catalyst for example. André has already carried out a test with an aluminum rod with good savings; the downside would be the impact on the engine.
Prof, could you tell us more?
0 x
The number of molecules in a drop of water is equal to the number of drop that contains the Black Sea!
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 22/04/06, 14:48

Hello teacher
In cold countries most cars have a 750 to 1000 watt heating element that works on the current of the sector
we also have 500w heaters with ventilator to put in the passenger compartment, then comes the seat heating gadgets
Another to heat the battery (less and less used)
another to heat the liquid elave window with 12 volts (this cleans better when it is hot)
At the end of the line it makes a lot of troubles when it ages
The only one that is jarring is the engine heater, in our case it is not for the pollution it is simply to manage to start when it goes down at night to -20C.

For the coolant temperature of modern engines it goes without saying that the new engines have a better efficiency therefore heats less,
What I wanted to say is that in the losses, which come mainly from hot gases, it divides into two large parts one in the cylinder head and water jacket and the other in the exhaust, now if the cylinder head and in particular the passage of gases before arriving at the collector absorbs a good part of the heat it will not be found in the exhaust gases, it will be predominant in the coolant (we have in principle on V8 boat engines
the entire exhaust manifold is cooled with water to prevent the temperature from rising in this small compartment)
A cast iron cylinder head has poor thermal conductivity so it does not allow less heat to pass into the cooling water.
In addition to the good qualities of aluminum, for a diesel engine a well-constructed cast iron cylinder head is more enduring than an aluminum cylinder head. The number of cracks that can be seen on WV cylinder heads, whether between the two valves or when we unscrew an injector, even threads of heating candles which stripp, (Without counting that it deforms easily follows a bad tightening)
I find that the constructor could have made it more robust and at least put helicopters for the parts to screw in the aluminum, spark plug, injector, it is an assembly of office on the cylinder heads)
Obviously when we have in hand only new equipment we ignore all these inconveniences, (I have from time to time to reweld)

What many people mix is ​​conductivity and specific heat, one is not attached to the other example water.

Andre
0 x
tryf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by tryf » 15/05/06, 17:25

Hello
I admit that I always have trouble understanding.
when you heat a piece of aluminum at one end and hold the other end it takes time before heating your fingers:
therefore poor heat conductivity.

with exactly the same piece but in cast iron (or even better in copper):
it takes very little time!

metals would have 2 properties?
heat conductivity
and heat absorption

I do not say that to say that you are wrong because it is true for example that the coolers in electronics are often aluminum.
I try to understand.
it seems to me bizard these 2 properties!
0 x
Other

by Other » 15/05/06, 19:31

Hello
Conductivity and specific heat are two different things
Example water not very conductive, but what heat absorption
If it takes time to heat the aluminim it is because it absorbs a lot of heat, but once entered it leads almost as well as copper.

Andre
0 x
tryf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by tryf » 15/05/06, 22:57

Thank you for your answer
so there are these two distinct properties
it's crazy!
I can hardly imagine myself.
al imagine.
I understand quickly but it must be explained to me for a long time HI HI HI
please
0 x
Other

by Other » 16/05/06, 22:30

Hello Tyrf

aluminum is a good conductor of electricity.
The high voltage lines are all composed of a central steel cable which serves as a support for the mechanical resistance and around this cable there are the strands of aluminum cable to conduct the current, in high voltage the current flows surface.
If aluminum has not spread as a use of domestic electrical conductor c, is because of its contacts and its oxidation, this takes a special paste on the joints, in the industry many bus bars are in aluminum treated in area.
For what is specific heat, I believe that it is the metal
which has the highest point and in materials I think it is water, although with all new metals (ium) I can not certify it.
When you weld aluminum, it takes a lot of heat to melt it and once the temperature is reached it can sink you like butter.
also when you weld a large piece of aluminum contrary to what you think after you have finished welding the whole piece becomes hot by conductivity (keep your gloves)

aluminum is the metal of choice to absorb and conduct heat. The pistons in the engines are in aluminum alloy for questions of weight, but also for questions of heat dissipation, on turbo diesel there is a jet of oil which sprinkles from below the piston to cool it, which sometimes requires oil cooler, the oil should be lubricated but also cooled.

Andre
0 x
tryf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by tryf » 30/05/06, 13:39

ok
I managed to make myself an image for this notion of heat absorption.
metal is "empty" of heat.
it must fill up with heat before it can be driven.
(like an empty glass is filled with water, a cold metal is "filled" with heat.)
or even better: it is + or - porous in terms of heat.
aluminum is very porous in heat.
copper should practically not be porous because it is very conductive (in heat), immediately.
0 x
bolt
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by bolt » 30/05/06, 15:26

hello tryf
you can see in tables (wiki or other) the difference between thermal mass capacity, which of course must be transformed into thermal volume capacity to account for it at the same time as we see

otherwise we are deceived by the same object in different matters
(aluminum is light)

et thermal conductivity

alu: 900 joule / (kg of degree) ... x 2,7 (kg / liter) = 3333 j / (liter of degree) conductivity = 237 watt / (degree m)
copper: 385 d / (kg) ... x 8,6 = 3388 j / (l. °) conductivity = 401w / (m. °)
iron: 444 d / (kg) ... x 7,8 = 3463 j / (l. °) conductivity = 46 w / (m. °)
stainless steel:? = ? conductivity = 26

the "same" piece of aluminum, copper or iron, at the same temperature contains roughly the same amount of heat (numbers in red)

It would only be the thermal conductivity that changes a lot
copper: 1,7 times more than aluminum
8,7 times more than iron
15,4 times more than stainless steel (18% chromium; 8% nickel)

For the sensations,
when you take a piece in your hand: between aluminum and iron, for example, the piece of iron conducts heat much less quickly than aluminum, the surface of the iron can descend much more quickly in T °, ​​during that it transmits part of its heat to the hand (therefore tenable at that time), then it takes more time for the heat (volume) to leave the interior of the room to go towards the hand

in other words when you take an iron piece at 50 ° C, it is very likely that you will actually feel it: say 40 ° C

But for aluminum and even less copper, the edge of the metal will remain almost at 50 ° C, as long as the interior has not dropped to T °

bolt
0 x