Water injection brumisée BMW on a gasoline turbo

Water injection in thermal engines and the famous "pantone engine". General informations. Press clippings and videos. Understanding and scientific explanations on the injection of water into engines: ideas for assemblies, studies, physico-chemical analyzes.
Flytox

by Flytox » 15/06/15, 19:10

Christophe wrote:Yes, except that the EGR works only in low to mid ... ie it is OFF from a certain power / engine RPM ...

I noticed this by connecting an OBD beast 15 € linked to an Android ...

Or is that high power water injection is the most effective ...

Also there is no EGR engines on gasoline ... (I think?)

If it exists, although much less common. It seems that it is fitted for performance reasons ....

http://www.linternaute.com/auto/pratiqu ... -elle.html

An EGR valve for gasoline?

Gasoline vehicles are equipped with catalytic converters to meet the same issue of reduction of nitrogen oxides. An EGR valve not seem so useless. However, some petrol powered vehicles is equipped to see for simple reasons of performance. Indeed, with a lower combustion temperature, the engine performance is improved.

Assumption: The combination of inlet gas with lean exhaust gas O2 and containing water vapor must limit the combustion temperature and thus allow to reduce knock limit and therefore to optimize the ignition advance. A bit like the BMW injection water.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Remundo

by Remundo » 09/07/15, 19:44

motor Nature publishes a new article on the BMW turbocharged to water injection

It is this time a very civilized car: a series with a 1 3 cylinders - gasoline.

There is a double injection method: indirect low pressure and high pressure direct

All this of course controlled by the computers and actuators goldsmiths engineers Bayerische Motoren Werke
The injection of water having a cooling function, it was possible to increase the compression ratio. It went from 9,5 to 11 1 toThis is really a lot for a turbocharged engine, but there is yet no rattling, engineers have even been able to increase boost pressure. The ignition timing was also increased, and we deduce that all electronic engine management has been revised accordingly. But the results are there. Power is up 10% decrease in the consumption of 8% in daily use.

The article is quite detailed and informative.

In any case, one thing is sure: now that BMW seriously puts his foot in it, nobody can emit jeers for those who argue that the injection of small amounts of water improves the combustion. : Idea:
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 09/07/15, 23:14

Much better than the previous M4 ... quiet car 218 Ch anyway .... maybe the 3 ° prototype will have a more reasonable power for Mr everyone. : Mrgreen:

8% improvement in conso is a technological turning ... 8)
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 09/07/15, 23:47

yeah right!
They need to sell their big car.
Would they not target the big-displacement enthusiast who wants to play it "green"?

I believe I see the ad builder.
Why advertise 4.12l / 100 km then save it consumes, in this case, even the 15.6?

I expect comparative tests without conflicts of interest)
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 10/07/15, 08:29

BMW actually, like others, is subject to anti-pollution standards and is committed to the downsizing.

Exit Ch 218 3 from a gasoline engine cylinder 1,5L, it's pretty amazing on a production car. I even wonder about the longevity, because it is rather on the performance of a car rally / race in terms of engine ...

BMW has long had the culture of the over-powered engine, but it consumes like a camel in smooth driving.

You see it in this machine 218 Ch, which consumes 4L / 100 km of gasoline, it's a beautiful performance.

Obviously, if one pushes the throttle to go kick in 200 hp, it will be more 15 to 30L / 100km, however in practice it is impossible to drive at such speeds.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/07/15, 08:38

Hello,
On the photo you bet, Remundo:
"average fuel consumption benefit: 4.12 l / 100 km" Does not mean that it consumes 4l / 100, it is only the estimated economy ... compared to what ???
They are the only ones who know :frown:

If you do the math, the estimated normal consumption would 4.12 / 0.209 19,7 = l / 100 and 19.7 real - = 4.12 15.6 l / 100km
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 10/07/15, 10:12

Indeed, their display is ambiguous.

A replay of the article, I think you're right. It is full load / high power gains of conso climb to 20%.

We are waiting to cross the real ... not make a hyper-economic generator (although smaller, 100 Ch. Ample) with such technology. Use an electric vehicle platform.

And stop wanting to embark too powerful engines. Because it is still the cute-fished German engine manufacturers.

To return to this engine, compare it to 125i (2,5 turbo injection of the same brand
Figures for BMW 125i
fuel consumption
Combined: 6.6 6.3 to l / km 100
Urban: 8.6 8.5 to l / km 100
Extra-urban: 5.4 5.1 to l / km 100
CO2 Emissions combined: 154 148 to g / km

The figures for fuel consumption and emission CO2 depend on the wheel and tire sizes selected.

If we took 8% to 5,4L / 100 km, we pass under the 5L / 100km. That's good, but I already do with my R19 of 80 Ch. : Cheesy:
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 11/10/15, 08:22

BMW offers BMW M4 GTS marketing

Paper motor Nature

For those who remember that the only production vehicles ever produced with water injection system were fighters, the analogy with the first car to take this technology is obvious. BMW M4 GTS is a fighter for the road. There is a very reasonable version of the BMW coupe 4 2 series with a liter turbo-diesel, and then there's the super sports variant what the M4.

fitted with "standard" water injection.

A really muscle car, too ... probably 3L, Ch 500. 1500 kg :P

Le Figaro title "Water bomb / water doped engine

Another article in Le Figaro I had zapped in July
Water injection in an engine is not new. Aviation has been widely used for both gasoline engines, including those fitted on certain aircraft of German and American fighter during World War II, for jet engines, like those of the American bomber B 52. This technology returns to date with current engines designed to reduce fuel consumption and CO² emissions. "Downsized" (reduced capacity) and turbo-charged, they suffer a high risk of "clicking" (imperfect combustion of the air-fuel mixture, producing a characteristic noise). Water injection in the intake pipe and, especially, in the combustion chamber, allows to obtain a significant cooling effect, particularly when the mechanical operating under a high load.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/10/15, 12:46

Remundo thank you to these items ...

I extract the most interesting passages:

The most significant innovation, however, is the use of water injection. In the intake manifold and especially in the combustion chamber, it provides a significant cooling effect, especially when the mechanical works under heavy load.

This confirms what has long been known on the water doping: to measure a significant performance gain on consumption, the engine must be loaded.

This explains the lack or absence of results on car engines not quite sought to contrast tractor engines which, for example, plowing, are heavily loaded and sees significant gains

You know the average load of a motor Formula 1?
Between 25 and 35% following the circuits!

Please note I am not speaking of the average position of the accelerator pedal (obviously higher) but the real power engine provided!

And 30 800% of CV is already huge for average!

According to the approval standard, mixed consumption would not exceed 8,3 l at 100 (194 g CO² rejected per kilometer). These brilliant performances allow him to shoot in 7 mn 28 s on the north loop of the Nürburgring circuit (20,8 km). For comparison, the basic BMW M4 had achieved a time of 7 mn 52 s in June 2104 on the same course. We measure the gain obtained!

The 8.3 / 100 24km + s turn ... pretty huge ... the transition is not 34 s as indicated under paragraph ...

What about the consumption of his little sister undoped water?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/10/15, 12:49

So now, to democratize the benefits of water injection, it would (will) democratize the downsizing!

Small engines, charged on average much more than big engines ... whose nominal power is used extremely rarely (if ever we respect the limitations)

To this is added the other benefits of downsizing, we talked about here (among others): https://www.econologie.com/forums/fiat-500-t ... t9976.html
0 x