Water injection brumisée BMW on a gasoline turbo

Water injection in thermal engines and the famous "pantone engine". General informations. Press clippings and videos. Understanding and scientific explanations on the injection of water into engines: ideas for assemblies, studies, physico-chemical analyzes.
Remundo

by Remundo » 24/02/15, 10:03

Gildas wrote:A trickle engine consumes less power and is more responsible, good for doping water ..

I speak of the Mercedes quoted in the article such engine, the car is 89 km / h in th ... 9!

Engines tend to over-consume at very low speed and at very high speeds.

The optimum of specific consumption is at full load and mid-speed.

In summary, the engine gives you the most kWh per gram of fuel burned when you put it to 2000 / 3000 rpm and full air intake.

Hence the interest of a small engine running stationary at full load and mid-speed to recharge a battery pack.

The transmission of power to the wheels and its modulations is much better managed by an electromechanical chain.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 24/02/15, 11:04

Ben it's like everything depends on the design of the engine ... distribution diagrams, volumetric ratio and race alesage ratio ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 25/02/15, 14:37

Remundo wrote:[...]

Hence the interest of a small engine running at steady state at full load and half speed to recharge a battery pack. [...]
This image illustrates an 2.0 TDI from VAG.

We could have other values ​​with other engines:
For example this one, given the speed and torque values, I guess it must be a big engine or supercharged gasoline.

It's an atmospheric 1.9D ...

And that's a gasoline compressor 1.8 l from Benz ...

What I remember is that you really have to have the engine curve in front of you to know what you're talking about, and that depending on the load requested, it may be interesting to be on a diet or another .
For example on the 2.0 TDI, under 45% of maximum load, it is better to be 1500 rpm than 2000 ....
For the 1.9D at 30% load, it is better to be at 1300 RPM;
And even for the gasoline engine, the low speeds are not uninteresting, depending on what you ask the engine!

Last funny thing: contrary to what one might think, there is not so much difference that it conso specific (g / kw / h) between an old 1.9D diesel and a modern 2.0 TDI VAG! : Wink:
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 25/02/15, 15:04

My zx TD 92cv break drank between 6.5 and 8l / 100km ...
the passat break 140 has Mamita stands at 5.4l / 100 at 130 on highway on departmental (40km trip to go to my old home with 4 crossings of village I go down to 4.9l / 100 ...

zx weighed 1t4 with wide 175 tires totaled 400KKm
the passat 1t6 with snow tires in 205 it has only 308KKm ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 01/03/15, 17:16

Another article about the M4, coming from a site that I like a lot: http://www.auto-innovations.com/actualite/2555.html
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Remundo

by Remundo » 24/03/15, 12:36

Thank you Lumberjack for extra interesting documents.

This morning, motor Nature in turn the article of this misted water M4.
Everything is perfect in an M4. If you like to drive, you like the M4!

And this one perhaps more than the others, since it has something more, something unexpected: a system of water injection. Or a delicate subject, almost mystical on the web, since there are already many articles to extol the merits of water injection, a revolutionary technology that would reduce the consumption of 50%, but that global conspiracy prevents being developed ... We were delighted to have spoken with a BMW engineer to take stock.

BMW M4 MotoGP Safety Car with water injectionBecause if it is possible to reduce the consumption thanks to a water injection on a tractor aged 40 years, with a rudimentary engine, it is quite different on a M4 injection direct, variable distribution and hyper-sophisticated supercharging. Our interlocutor was categorical and immediate. To the question of whether the M4 with water injection consumed less, the answer is no. With or without water injection, fuel consumption is exactly the same. The advantage of this technology is to correct a well known through a turbocharged engine: the rise of the combustion temperature. Compressed air, forced air, all turbo engines need a cooler, and this BMW water injection system acts as a super cooler.

It seems that it gives no gain in consumption ... I doubt it a little even if I do not expect 30% :P
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/03/15, 13:11

Obviously: we should not agree with the "villainous plotters" ...

Everyone knows we live in a perfect world of honesty ...

If not interesting article, I note the conclusion:

If BMW did that, it's because it has the project to bring its water injection technology on a production car. It should even be done quickly, and why not? As it is, this system has no problem, and its use is transparent. The car runs the same with its full or empty water tank, it is just that with water, we will have 8% more power when we press the accelerator. Without consuming a drop of gasoline more, it's super good.

So ... would have to know ... : Cheesy:
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 24/03/15, 13:35

the article is indeed inconsistent ...

I had also raised it! : Idea:

more power without additional consumption, it just means that the specific fuel consumption / kWh is better, and therefore that the engine will consume less for a given power and arbitrarily chosen.

as it has been said, it is probably in full charge that it is the most effective.

Rhetoric has no place in the world of engineering ... but Motor Nature is sometimes a bit rough and controversial.
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 24/03/15, 14:46

Remundo wrote:the article is indeed inconsistent ...
The article at first reports the words of the BMW engineer, then gives his own opinion further.
Both are contradictory, but the article is not inconsistent so far ...

Remundo wrote:more power without additional consumption, it just means that the specific fuel consumption / kWh is better, and therefore that the engine will consume less for a given power and arbitrarily chosen.

as it has been said, it is probably in full charge that it is the most effective.

The article agrees:
EngineNature wrote:if the consumption has remained the same, it is fair to say that with the power up, iso-power, consumption is lower. Still, the efficiency of a water injection system is not linear. It works well at full load, and quite in the spirit of an M4 that is not made to run at 30 km / h, water injection only starts beyond 4500 rpm
So if we drive continuously beyond 4500 rpm (about 220 to 240 km / h), we will see a decrease in consumption on the way : Mrgreen:

It's sure it does not have much impact on standardized consumption : Lol:
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 24/03/15, 14:58

of course the article plays the tightrope walker on the issue of conso from A to Z.

To speak technically, it would be small engines exploited thoroughly.

it's called downsizing.

This small engine combined with a hybrid-series architecture would be ideal.

@+
0 x