BMW Turbo petrol Megatron: 1450ch and a water injection

Water injection in thermal engines and the famous "pantone engine". General informations. Press clippings and videos. Understanding and scientific explanations on the injection of water into engines: ideas for assemblies, studies, physico-chemical analyzes.
Christophe

Re: BMW Megatron Turbo Petrol: 1450ch and a water injection

by Christophe » 07/08/17, 22:31

It should not be very heavy since based on an 4 series cylinders ...

The turbo had to be beefy to allow 4 boost bars ...
0 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 07/08/17, 22:59

Hello,

Unless I am mistaken, this Megatron was made in Switzerland, in Gland, at Heini Mader. The engine block was indeed from a production car of 150000 km in order to be sure that the cast iron was "stabilized".

It was a good time ... when we see that now the major manufacturers are investing in Formula E, it leaves dreamers and makes you want to cry.

At +
0 x
Trying too hard to get into the mold, it ends up looking like a pie.
Flytox

by Flytox » 07/08/17, 23:58

Here is another nice toy:

http://www.mecachrome.com/files/air-cosmos.pdf

According to another doc (no way to get your hands on it : Wink: ), SMA has made progress since the publication of this article and now arrives at power to weight ratios really close to certain gas turbines and capable of withstanding the regulatory longevity....The secret of such a result will be in the turbo compressor specifically studied by the Safran group's design offices (for SMA / Mécachrome) . The boost pressure will be significantly above what is currently done and the cooling system... dantesque.
1 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
lilian07
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by lilian07 » 08/08/17, 13:37

Such complexity and sensitivity of the engine can not compete with the reactor turbines, however in some areas it could be useful. For me the mechanical power to produce a rotary engine torque have to go through the best tool for that, the electric motor.
Obviously we have reached the end of the possibilities by innovating in all directions (different fuel, turbo, rotary engine, multiple cylinders, supercharging, optimization of moving parts ....) for a yield that will tend to cap at 25%. ..
Let's keep everything a century's worth in certain areas like the help of energy installation or mechanical power for example.
1 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 08/08/17, 19:08

lilian07 wrote: For me the mechanical power to produce a rotary engine torque have to go through the best tool for that, the electric motor.

That's right, and I'm sure that as soon as the problems of autonomy, speed of charge, and the origin of electricity are solved, the electric motor will be all the rage.

I soon 49 years, and it's been since I was small that I hear that it's the future ... But nothing really concrete for the moment.

To be continued...
0 x
Trying too hard to get into the mold, it ends up looking like a pie.
lilian07
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by lilian07 » 08/08/17, 23:29

Yes indeed, the only thing I can say is that the storage battery has reached an energy density and a price (Li-ion) capable of making
the EV profitable and autonomous. This is the famous model 3 Tesla and the work of all car manufacturers that converges to the 100% electric.
2020 will certainly be the year when all manufacturers will have their VEs capable of running 400 at 500 km. This will be the moment of truth (feasibility).
The improved asynchronous Tesla motor is small, I will say a machine drum to be washed for a power of about 420 ch rest to feed the beast with battery packs ranging from 60 to 100 kwh (600 kg)
0 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re:

by gildas » 04/10/17, 09:26

Christophe wrote:Bin Remundo? You have to follow some :) It's true that you're already hyper active on many other subjects!

Here is an excerpt of the letter I am about to send:

Introduction, what the water injection?

The water injection is well known mechanics of 80 years: she was employed on 1 formulas that could develop over 1000cv with turbo petrol engines 1.5L. Example with this video on the BMW engine Megatron

The injection of water allows for different physicochemical effects (not exhaustive):

improve combustion (depollution on the imbrulés and CO)
increasing the compression ratio, improved the mean effective pressure (SMEs)
homogenize the combustion (pressure on the piston more homogeneous)
reduce NOx pollution
improved engine flexibility
improve consumption
increase power (turbo engines)

With regard to exhaust odors, can steam doping or water injection be as good as an AdBlue pollution control system? Because frankly I had the opportunity to stay chatting at the back of a Mazda CX8 diesel idle over 100 000km, virtually no smells ..
0 x
Christophe

Re: Re:

by Christophe » 04/10/17, 09:50

Gildas wrote:With regard to exhaust odors, can steam doping or water injection be as good as an AdBlue pollution control system? Because frankly I had the opportunity to stay chatting at the back of a Mazda CX8 diesel idle over 100 000km, virtually no smells ..

You will find a comparison of technologies here: consume less-car / ham-and-water-injection-man anti-nox-in-the-motor-marine-t14241.html

The NOx ca does not smell ... but from a certain concentration it stings the eyes ...
0 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by gildas » 04/10/17, 15:46

Thank you for this excellent comparison!

Another advantage of a basic water injection on boat with cooling water:
Noise reduction...
http://forumdubateau.com/telechargement ... 20d6-4.pdf From the 193 page.

[attachment = 0] installs d6-4.pdf [/ attachment]
Attachments
installs d6-4.pdf
(10.29 million) Downloaded times 1565
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/10/17, 20:17

That's what we're here for :)

Gildas wrote:Another advantage of a basic water injection on boat with cooling water:
Noise reduction...

I looked at the document, it is about an injection of water in the muffler to attenuate the noise at the exhaust (and undoubtedly "wash" the gases a little), therefore the water does not 'is not injected into the engine like BMW did ... so it is much simpler as a system and it does not help to improve the thermodynamic performance of the engine ...
0 x